Useful Linux CPU OC tools? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 32 Old 12-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I've been running linux on SSDs since before Mint 17 and never once had issues with it filling/destroying an SSD.

Earliest distro I had on an SSD was Ubuntu 12.04, so I can't speak before that.

500 Million Folding Points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Thanks.

E7500, added 80 and 90mm fans as intakes, 40mm fan for north bridge that heats like crazy (external probe now 15C lower temp and I silicon glued it in). Paste replaced on both chipsets and CPU. The CPU seems to have one of the more terrible toothpaste jobs under IHS, core temperatures can differ too much which is odd for such a small die. CPU cooler is barely warm but Aida64 FPU load goes into high 90C, great job Intel toothpaste, more like heattrap than heatspread. Linx (linpack) too much RAM use and running on both cores it throttles but then what CPU really doesn't from Intel with their toothpaste jobs, even stock clocks and volts they do.

3740MHz cores, 1360MHz FSB, 850MHz CL5 RAM. I don't think the FSB will magically run anything more than 340*4. Might actually drop it down a bit.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post

The lack of GUI programs like Prime95, Aida64, CPU-Z, HWINFO, MSI Afterburner, Cinebench, Heaven, etc. is one of the things that keep people away from Linux, or force them to dual boot with Windows.
But if you raise the issue on Linux forums you'll have the usual broadside of "what's wrong with the terminal" and the proverbial patronizing voices.

There is a linux version of Heaven. As for the others, the problem isn't with Linux, but with the authors of those programs that choose not to make a Linux version.

50 Million+ Folding at Home points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 PM
2 + 2 = 5

Liked: 90

If you're looking for a CPU-Z like program, CPU-X has all the same info, and is available for many popular distros if you don't want to build it.  I haven't ran it on any of my newer hardware, but no issues on the couple of machines I ran it on.  Looks like the last update was in May.

Here's a screenshot form my laptop.  In addition to the tabs you can see there are also "System", "Graphics" and "Bench" tabs.

I've found that stressapptest generally finds memory errors faster than any of the other memory tests for either Linux or Windows.  I would imagine you could also run it in the Windows 10 Bash Shell, but I haven't tried it out.    

250 Million Folding Points  BOINC Pentathlon 5x Participant   Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #15 of 32 Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

I do not mind console apps, I don't need fancy GUIs, but GUI applications are often well known and offer a lot of information where as console utilities tend to be somewhere hidden or have to be compiled or magically found somewhere and being unpopular it's difficult to discover them. As well as most console apps tend to be basic with not much information and functionality and when they evolve to offer more they often add GUI.
Does Linux support SSDs proper now? From what kernel version or some specific driver version to look out for?
I couldn't even find Mint, Lubuntu etc. what kernels they use on the latest version without installing/running them, like how difficult is it to add this info on their webpage or wiki.
With Windows kernel version doesn't matter but with Linux it does as they like to bake everything into it, that silly old monolithic design.

Hi,
17 Mint mate had a issue with my spastic ssd MX100
Not sure about any others
I was referred to a thread on the crucial website that stated the issue
I can't find it now it was a couple years ago.

I might add the ssd was still in warranty and was replaced with a refurbished that is still working but is the rma policy to replace with refurbished not with new ones.

post #16 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

If you're looking for a CPU-Z like program, CPU-X has all the same info, and is available for many popular distros if you don't want to build it.  I haven't ran it on any of my newer hardware, but no issues on the couple of machines I ran it on.  Looks like the last update was in May.

Here's a screenshot form my laptop.  In addition to the tabs you can see there are also "System", "Graphics" and "Bench" tabs.

I've found that stressapptest generally finds memory errors faster than any of the other memory tests for either Linux or Windows.  I would imagine you could also run it in the Windows 10 Bash Shell, but I haven't tried it out.    
Thanks for sharing, I haven't learnt about CPU-X until now.

Regarding stressapptest, I've had the same experience, it's much much faster than anything else finding hardware errors, specially memory. In less than 1 hour, you should be able to validate your memory overclock, instead of a 24h Prime95 session.

As for sensor monitoring, you can either install xsensors (which doesn't look good) or try openhardwaremonitor.

I'm looking for a Thermalright bolt-thru kit
post #17 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffident View Post

the problem isn't with Linux, but with the authors of those programs that choose not to make a Linux version.
That have no reason to port the software for Linux.
It has to start on the OS side, to make itself a viable alternative, then software makers will follow. Microsoft understood that.
If Canonical and Valve had joined hands (they had the resources) and focused, instead of chasing rainbows like Steam Machines and phone convergence...
post #18 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Pretty much all hardware monitoring support in Linux depends on lm-sensors. The graphical programs read the data from lm-sensors and if it doesn't get anything all you will see is a very empty window.
In many cases you'll need to run sudo sensors-detect. Find out what chip your motherboard uses, then search the Internet for how to get it working (most likely by editing various config files to load the appropriate kernel modules at boot).
Example with my GA-78LMT-USB3:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1620494/fan-control-amd-motherboard-gigabyte-ga-78lmt-usb3-rev-6-0/

post #19 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post

That have no reason to port the software for Linux.
It has to start on the OS side, to make itself a viable alternative, then software makers will follow. Microsoft understood that.
If Canonical and Valve had joined hands (they had the resources) and focused, instead of chasing rainbows like Steam Machines and phone convergence...

The only thing that makes Linux not a viable alternative as you say is the lack of Linux versions of popular Windows software and proper support from hardware vendors. There is nothing inherently wrong with Linux that would prevent this.

50 Million+ Folding at Home points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #20 of 32 Old 12-13-2017, 04:10 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 37
Hi, try i-Nex. Tested on Ubuntu-Like distros and Fedora.

http://i-nex.linux.pl

Not CPU related but: For AMD gpu monitoring you can use "radeontop" from terminal, i don't know if a GUI exist(i have a old nvidia laptop at the moment).
If you are using Mesa "drivers" you can enable a "RTSS-like" OSD.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page