post #11 of 17 Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird View Post

default RAM settings, in my experience, are garbage. I have had so many boards put total crap in there that makes no sense.

Set it to XMP, then change it to manual. The XMP numbers should stay. Now leave the timings and voltages at the XMP values, but back it down to 1600 or 2133 MHz. If it doesn't run with those settings it's most likely something else.

How long have you been using the rig this way? The fact that sometimes it will turn on leans me toward the board. Something's not always initializing in the right sequence or something. Like the memory voltage regulators could be stabilizing after the thing tries to POST the memory. crazy crap like that. Boards are so complex there's no way we'll ever really know. Can't measure it like some embedded system board that's a few orders of magnitude simpler haha.

Thanks, I'll certainly try that when I get the chance. Another thing that led me to believe it is the RAM is that once or twice when powering off at the wall didn't fix it, hitting the MemOK! button on my mobo did get it to the BIOS instead of failing to POST.

Hmm probably a good 3+ months now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 PM
ATI Enthusiast

Liked: 35
Yeah maybe it's not the RAM, but something on the board very closely RAM related so it's acting like a RAM problem
post #13 of 17 Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Liked: 52
Just asking, if the G.Skill's QVL tab only lists z170 model boards were tested - will the timings be ok for x99 boards (and vice versa if only x99 boards listed)?

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gvkb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 AM
ATI Enthusiast

Liked: 35
The timings should be the same regardless of what board you put them in, however some boards may have a harder time keeping up with them. Remember that 2133 is the maximum rated speed for your processor so that's already "pushing it" anything above is not guaranteed by intel
post #15 of 17 Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird View Post

The timings should be the same regardless of what board you put them in, however some boards may have a harder time keeping up with them. Remember that 2133 is the maximum rated speed for your processor so that's already "pushing it" anything above is not guaranteed by intel
Hi, thanks for your explanation. Appreciate it.
I remembered reading a post on OCN regarding rams for different platforms. Managed to find it after some searching
http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/500#post_24361548

post #16 of 17 Old 06-11-2016, 04:47 PM
ATI Enthusiast

Liked: 27
Ripjaw V DDR4-3000 running at XMP settings for all 128GB of RAM. Never had any bootup problem with my Sabertooth X99.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 PM

Liked: 42
I get this too, but it doesn't bother me, because 3200mhz is a huge overclock compared to the stock speed of 2133mhz and is not guaranteed to work. You can't claim a part is faulty because it won't run over spec.

That said, if you really want to rule out RAM itself being bad, test 1 stick at a time. Throw your usual plethora of memory test tools that you want at it (GSAT, HCI, AIDA, whatever) until you're happy and go to the next stick.

I'm going to guess you will find no problems.

Running 4 DIMMs in unison at that speed is tough on the IMC. Really tough. Sometimes it'll pass training, other times it'll just hang. Running 3070MHz C15-15-15-35 1T 4x8GB myself (ripjaws 4) and sometimes on reboot, it'll just hang, requiring a power cycle or AC cut to boot back up, sometimes with overclock failed; just 'save and reboot' without changing anything and it magically works. It's just part of X99 IMO. Don't like it? try z170 or broadwell-e, your experience may change.

also be aware that using a kit on x99 thats only qualified on z170 will cause manufacturer to not help you. they only support what they explicitly specify. using the kit in equipment not otherwise supported is all on you.

Also, on the other hand, using a 4 dimm 'dual channel' kit will not cause it to run only in dual channel mode if installed according to motherboard manual; CPU will attempt to negotiate quad channel if possible, and drop channels from there (some people mistakenly call it 'bad ram slots') or not post at all if the programmed timings are too difficult for the CPU to work with.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Asrock X399 Taichi
G.SKILL F4-3600C17Q-64GTZSW (4x16GiB 3600MHz 17-19-19-39-2T)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Seasonic X-1250 (1250W 80PLUS GOLD)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page