Keep getting bad ram or what???? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
NoBody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Ok, so as some of you know I had a set of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 and had a stick die on me so before I was going to RMA them I wanted to get some more. Well, every set I have gotten has either just flat out not posted and gave mem error on mb or won't run at stock specs and then after a day dies.

So I have went through 3 sets of Ballistix and got my Mushkin in thurs. and same exact same happened. So am I just having some really bad luck lately or is there another problem here I'm not seeing or thinking of??

Now the thing that keeps me thinking my mb doesn't have a part in this is the one good stick of Ballistix that I can run at whatever I want and it runs just the same as before.

Now I have tried one stick at a time and in every dimm slot one by one. I have run out of ideas but my god I've spent $300+ on ram in the past 2 weeks and I am going crazy.

Sorry to make such a long thread btw.

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-23-2008, 04:37 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 169
I have the same problem when I buy from Fry's. I have always had to take the first set back because they never work.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-23-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
NoBody

well, I have been getting all the ram from Chiefvalue but I've used them for years and never had this problem before.

I mean come on, 4 freakin sets in a row. So any other ideas. I guess I'll try some Team next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Liked: 535
Maybe your mailman is a giant dick and throws your packages at your front door? Maybe you're frying them with static electricity? Maybe the forces that be dislike you? Tough to say, but I'm having a hard time believing it's the memory's fault every time. I still have yet to see more than one or two people with AMD systems complaining about busted Ballistix, I think you Intel guys are installing them with a hammer or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid go_quote.gif
I want it pink inside and out...
post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
NoBody

So the census is I'm a dumbass and don't know how to handle memory. After all memory is perfect???

Ok, that helps alot, I think I'm gonna just throw this whole rig in the trash and start fresh then, obviously it's either me or the ups guys f'n the ram up.

No seriously, has anybody had a mb acting up like this and only like certain ic's to run with it or something??? I just don't wanna spend $200 on a mb and that not be it because I logically try to think that 1 out of 4 sets of ram should be good.

Or does anybody know of a program that can stress the nb somewhat hard. And yes this is gonna be kinda a noob question, the nb being bad can and will contribute to memtest86 throwing errors right??

So it is safe to say that if I run that and I pass 3 times that it more than likely isn't my nb right. Doesn't anybody have any actual ideas to try.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 132
Ure Memory Controller could be Faulty (ure NB)

That could be a possibility

A way to test if u got a mate who has 2 working sticks put them in ure rig run memtest and if u get errors ure MB is faulity

post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2008, 05:37 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 206
Benny might be on to a solution to find out, but......

I have to ask.. are you setting the voltage to 2.2v in your BIOS & check the timings while you are in there & maybe relax them to 5-5-5-15 if they aren't defaulting to that.

Also, check for a new BIOS release as well.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2008, 05:41 AM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

Liked: 776
On some boards the BIOS defaults to 1.8v or something. That is not enough to run high-end memory. If you have some valueram or something that needs low volts try just one stick of that to boot then change voltage to auto.
May not be the case on that board but worth a try. Also try the ram in another PC if you can.

EDIT: If you're on BIOS 1.3 you may have probs with RAM-
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=28015 - see the review - 'Memory compatibility by Brady' at the bottom of page.

Also see here-
http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/moth...ds/m/40768210/
look at the review titled "Great Board! after BIOS Update by thaineseguy from CA"

Looks like you need 1 stick of ddr2 667 valueram

bulb.gifCan I Overclock My Brain?... All I Gotta Do Is Increase Its Stock Voltage bulb.gif
cheers.gifBritish Overclockers Club cheers.gif

ATi Clubs and Essential Threads - ATi Aftermarket Cooling Database - ATi Overclocking Guide - ATi Driver Guide
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
NoBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
On some boards the BIOS defaults to 1.8v or something. That is not enough to run high-end memory. If you have some valueram or something that needs low volts try just one stick of that to boot then change voltage to auto.
May not be the case on that board but worth a try. Also try the ram in another PC if you can.

EDIT: If you're on BIOS 1.3 you may have probs with RAM-
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=28015 - see the review - 'Memory compatibility by Brady' at the bottom of page.

Also see here-
http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/moth...ds/m/40768210/
look at the review titled "Great Board! after BIOS Update by thaineseguy from CA"

Looks like you need 1 stick of ddr2 667 valueram

Ok. well I'm on Bios 1.8 right now and have been running the G.Sill HZ's DDR2-800 and Ballistix so maybe it was cool with the D9GMH but it's not cool with running any other type of ram.

Wait, no that doesn't make since, my OCZ runs fine in it too.

I'm just gonna say NB get a new mb and new ram and just rebuild. Need a new Quad soon anyway, gonna make this one strictly for folding.

And yes I am setting to 2.2vDimm, and why would I buy ram with 4-4-4-12 timmings just to run them at 5-5-5-15 or whatever ya know. So no I'm not setting to that loose of timings. I'm running 1:1 so it should handle the tighter timings flawlessly.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 12
Same thing happened to me with my Biostar TF570sli, i RMA'd it 2 weeks ago and i'm still waiting on it. I'm just hoping it was something wrong with the mobo and not anything else, i've been without my gaming computer since September and if it comes back and it wasn't the motherboard i will lose my mind.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page