Question about updating RAM... - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Currently I have 1 GB (2 X 256) of dual channel memory and my Opteron is OCed up to 2.6 GHz. I definitely don't have enough memory to run all my programs, so I plan on getting a 2 GB dual channel kit.

I was just wondering about my overclocked state and changing out the RAM. I have the multiplier set lower so my FBS could be raised, so when I run CPUZ, my ram is actually lower than 200 MHz, so it's technically underclocked. If I plan on changing out the RAM, should I set my FSB and multiplier back to default settings, or should I just stick the new ram in there? The ram is gonna be the same speed, DDR 400 PC3200, so it SEEMS to me that I wouldn't have to change anything... But I just want a second opinion .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 3468
You can let the FSB alone and increase the ram ratio like 4:5, 3:4 or even 1:2 etc so take advantage of your new ram.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 110
I have a kit of ddr400 Corsair cas 2 3200 rev 1.5 these chips go upto 553mhz !! , they are monters call Utt BH-5 try and look for a good ddr kit and youll have the lowest
latency and highest ddr freq available.!!

I am not down with the "standard".
This man did not do what every other man did!
gunner2.gif. proof.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Liked: 535
It depends on your goals. Do you want to set the RAM to 1:1, thereby overclocking it? Or are you happy leaving it underclocked? If you're going to leave it underclocked, I'd follow lins' advice and just set a divider, leaving your CPU overclocked. If you plan on overclocking the RAM, I'd go back to default settings and try to regain the same overclock you had before, only this time on a 1:1 ratio.

Remember, 3D games tend to like tighter timings over faster speeds, so it might be beneficial to set a divider (keeping the RAM close to 200MHz though) and try to get 2-2-2-5 timings. We're talking about 1-4% difference though, so honestly it probably doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid go_quote.gif
I want it pink inside and out...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page