Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Guys,

I'm about to upgrade my memory and i need to decide which is better.

I have 4 slots for memory DIMS at the moment and i currently have 2 x 1 gb DDR 400 memory sims.

My upgraded memory will be DDR 500 but should i get 1 x 2gb stick or 2 x 1gb stick. I'm asking the question because i am thinking of the future and that when i take my memory to 4gb would i get better performance with 4 x 1gb stick or 2 x 2 gb sticks? Also of i go for 1 x 2 gb stick i could then run 8 gb of memory if needed in the future!

Basically I am asking the question because of memory demands on the memory controller etc as my Board takes 184 pin sims which are non EEC and Unbuffered...

Your thoughts and comments are as always much appreciated...

"The one common thing about every aspect of life is that you will always want more than you have....proof.gif "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 04:47 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 306
I'd go for two identical 2x1GB sticks because they will allow you to run in Dual Channel mode.
Also 1GB modules usually have lower latencies compared to 2GB modules.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 05:02 AM
2.4ghz

Liked: 25
i think you should get the 1gb sticks, cause you instantly have dual channel capabilities, but if u plan on getting another 2gigger stick soon, u can do that, that would = to alot of memory, but generally timings are slower on the higher sticks, 2gb DDR500 isnt a bad choice if you get some high quality ram i dont see why you wouldnt be able to clock it high. but if you would take the 1gb x 2 selection, since you have 4 dimms, if you get another 2 stick pair which = 4, your multiplier automatically lowers and u have to select 2t on an AMD mobo/cpu.

"There Can Only Be One Highlander!!" Dane Cook,

\/\/tF?
(9/4)^x = x^(9/4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 AM
audio aficionado

Liked: 593
2x1gb you'll probably get sticks w/ better timings, the cost will probably be less and you can run dual channel.

the only time I'd get 1x 2gb is if you are planning on upgrading to 4gb in the near future, and then you'd have to have an OS that can even handle that much RAM.

Current Sound: ODAC > SA Reference IC > Musical Paradise MP-301 6v6 tube amp> Tekton Designs 4.1 loudspeakers

post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2
2x1gb you'll probably get sticks w/ better timings, the cost will probably be less and you can run dual channel.

the only time I'd get 1x 2gb is if you are planning on upgrading to 4gb in the near future, and then you'd have to have an OS that can even handle that much RAM.
Please explain what you mean by dual channel? Do you mean Dimm 3 & 4?

The purpose of my question was that it is likely that inside the next few weeks i will go to 4 gb memory (when i get paid next).

So are DIMM 3 & 4 slower and do they slow the CPU if used because of the high memory demands? if so would i be better off getting a 2 gb stick which would allow me to get a total of 8 gb in Windows Vista when it arrives... ? See the reason for my line of questioning?

"The one common thing about every aspect of life is that you will always want more than you have....proof.gif "

post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 06:06 AM
333mhz

Liked: 0
Dual channel is running two identical sticks of RAM at the same time hence doubling your bandwithdth. Usually gives up to a 10% performance increase. Depending on your motherboard they usually plug into DIMM 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Though I've seen some that are required to stay next to eachother. Your motherboard must support dual channel for it to work. What model Abit do you have?

Also don't know of too many boards that support up to 8Gb of RAM. Most max out at 4 and that at higher timings. Check your motherboard manual or online first.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogamazog
Dual channel is running two identical sticks of RAM at the same time hence doubling your bandwithdth. Usually gives up to a 10% performance increase. Depending on your motherboard they usually plug into DIMM 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Though I've seen some that are required to stay next to eachother. Your motherboard must support dual channel for it to work. What model Abit do you have?

Also don't know of too many boards that support up to 8Gb of RAM. Most max out at 4 and that at higher timings. Check your motherboard manual or online first.
My A-Bit board is as follows:-

Abit AN8 SLI Socket 939 nForce 4 SLI PCI-E ATX.

The memory specification is as follows: -

Memory
- Four 184-pin DIMM sockets
- Supports dual channel DDR400 non-ECC un-buffered memory
- Supports maximum memory capacity up to 8GB

This now raises another question for me! The memory limit states at DDR 400 although in the BIOS i can go to DDR 500???

Whats going on!

post #8 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 AM
audio aficionado

Liked: 593
yeah, my Asus board lists DDR500 as an option too... but it doesn't work. by default your board supports DDR400 because it works best with a stock htt of 200mhz. you can raise your htt if your cpu, board and ram can support it.

for example I have my main rig set up w/ a htt of 250 which translates into ddr500.

before you plan on getting 4gb of RAM I have a couple questions...
1. what are you doing that you need 4gb of RAM?
2. what OS are you using as you have to have 64bit windows or the newer media center edition to even be able to have over 3gb

Current Sound: ODAC > SA Reference IC > Musical Paradise MP-301 6v6 tube amp> Tekton Designs 4.1 loudspeakers

post #9 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 AM
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧·★゜・。☆゜。 ・゚

Liked: 2585
faster RAM will be useful when you push your OC

August 13th, 2011 sad-smiley-002.gif Happy trails, may we meet again.

CyberDruidPC is History

Overclock.net Mod of the Month June 2008  Overclock.net Mod of the Month December 2009  4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2
before you plan on getting 4gb of RAM I have a couple questions...
1. what are you doing that you need 4gb of RAM?
2. what OS are you using as you have to have 64bit windows or the newer media center edition to even be able to have over 3gb
Just thinking of the future and Windows Vista thats all.

So you are saying that DDR500 option may not work therfore i would have to run it as DDR 400 whoich would make my overclocked memory run around 490mhz so DDR 500 memory - PC4000 would be more than sufficent?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page