Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

I was doing some pretty heavy modelling in Autodesk Maya a few days ago and my computer started blue screening and becoming unresponsive towards the end of the modelling process (this is strange because my machine should be more then capable in handling the fairly simple model that I was making) Thing is, after I finished the model and stopped using Maya, my PC continued to bluescreen showing memory issues like the "IRQL-NO-LESS-OR-EQUAL" as the cause. I decided to run memcheck (free version, so I had to run six separate windows with each testing 2048MB of RAM) and within a few minutes two of the windows started showing multiple errors. I left it overnight and when I came back, those two windows had come up with over 100 errors each.

Basically I've got no idea what to do next. Is there a way I can find out exactly which one(S) of my 6 memory sticks have errors them? Is there a way to fix these errors without outright replacing my memory?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Fan Man

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM YO;12964968 
Hey guys,

I was doing some pretty heavy modelling in Autodesk Maya a few days ago and my computer started blue screening and becoming unresponsive towards the end of the modelling process (this is strange because my machine should be more then capable in handling the fairly simple model that I was making) Thing is, after I finished the model and stopped using Maya, my PC continued to bluescreen showing memory issues like the "IRQL-NO-LESS-OR-EQUAL" as the cause. I decided to run memcheck (free version, so I had to run six separate windows with each testing 2048MB of RAM) and within a few minutes two of the windows started showing multiple errors. I left it overnight and when I came back, those two windows had come up with over 100 errors each.

Basically I've got no idea what to do next. Is there a way I can find out exactly which one(S) of my 6 memory sticks have errors them? Is there a way to fix these errors without outright replacing my memory?

How often do you get these errors? Like, every hour? Even if you are just surfing the web?
If so, try putting one stick at the time and running a full day. If you get a bluescreen with one single stick, then that one is damaged. Do this for every one you have and you'll soon find out which one is good and which one is bad.
After this, just RMA the bad ones.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking." - Henry Ford
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNS0;12965032 
How often do you get these errors? Like, every hour? Even if you are just surfing the web?
If so, try putting one stick at the time and running a full day. If you get a bluescreen with one single stick, then that one is damaged. Do this for every one you have and you'll soon find out which one is good and which one is bad.
After this, just RMA the bad ones.

Thanks for the quick reply bud. Ironically, just as I was typing out a response to this my PC bluescreen with another IRQL error so I guess that answers your question frown.gif I'll start running through the sticks individually so that I can hopefully identify the culprit. On a side note, I'm pretty sure Cosair XMS memsticks come with a lifetime warranty. Can anyone confirm this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Fan Man

Let me guess, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT? Or perhaps PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA?

post #5 of 15 Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 205
When you RMA RAM, do you have to send the whole kit back or just the defective module(s)?

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
post #6 of 15 Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNS0;12965431 
Let me guess, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT? Or perhaps PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA?

Yup, you guessed right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet;12969599 
When you RMA RAM, do you have to send the whole kit back or just the defective module(s)?

Good question, I just went through the Cosair RMA request system off their website and I'm pretty sure that I send the whole kit away and they will replace it with an entire new one...just need to wait for the form to be processed before I can proceed.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Fan Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM YO;12979514 
Yup, you guessed right

Had the same problem. You're lucky that Memtest saw the errors, I ran 8 hours without a single one - yet one of my sticks was faulty. It was really driving me nuts

post #8 of 15 Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 111
Yes, you have to send back the whole set, just pick 3 sticks including the 2 bad sticks and send them back. Keep the 3 good sticks so you can use them until you get back the RMA.
And yes they have a "limited" lifetime warranty.

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts
Lifetime limited

Labor
Lifetime limited

Take No Prisoners Gentlemen gunner2.gif

post #9 of 15 Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Just got a completely new kit delivered yesterday. Got it up and running again just as it was before the failure and it ran good for a few hours before I started getting weird errors...again. I ignored these for a while until it came time to do a system restart which resulted in the 'bootmgr missing' error upon startup. I decided to reinstall windows and well long story short turns out my hard drives were connected in the wrong order into the motherboard's sata ports.

After fixing all that up and getting windows up and running again I received another Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area bluescreen which I understand is a memory related error. How the hell can this be consider I just installed a brand new RAM kit? This is really starting to grin me into the earth now...I really, really need this computer up and running to do all my uni work on! Any help will be much appreciated!

post #10 of 15 Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Also Windows Explorer is now constantly crashing which it never did before...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page