Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Review of the Zowie FK Gaming Mouse -

YouTube Video Review Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9InL-J30fY

I spent a while recording and editing the video clip, so I might not have enough energy to write up a proper review just this moment. However I'll do my best to give you a synopsis of everything that this mouse has to offer.

From my initial testing, comparing it against the AM, IO1.1, WMO, Kinzu, Sensei - it's becoming one of my favorite mice to use out of all that I own. Even though they sport the same internals, I do believe that the form factor is more comfortable for my hand as compared to the AM. I do mention this fact over and over and over again in my video review, so I apologize in advance for making people listen to my annoying voice. Now on with the review.

Boxing

The box is a very straight forward one, something that I've always enjoyed from Zowie.

What's included:
- Zowie FK Gaming Mouse
- Zowie Sticker
- 1 set of Teflon Feet

Weight & Shape

The mouse feels fairly similar to that of the sensei. The shape spots a slightly narrower grip in the middle of the mouse, allowing you to claw your thumb and your fourth finger (my 4th finger) in a crooked position. In my opinion, this is a deal-breaker in terms of comfort compared to the Zowie AM. As mentioned in the video, i compared the Zowie AM to to IO1.1, and in general just feels bulkier and harder to grip and lift off the mouse pad.

Weight: 84g
Height: 27mm
Width: 53mm
Length: 127mm

Note: These are my own measurements and are not official by any means.

My hand is around 19cm from the tip of my middle finger to the base - Below are comparisons of the mouse relative to my hand.

Hand:

Comparison of All:

Zowie AM

Zowie FK

WMO

Kinzu v2

IO1.1 SS Edition

Sensei

In a nutshell fairly comfortable and absolutely loving the form factor over the AM. Some people may disagree... well... I think that's ok thumb.gif

Sensor / Performance

The mouse sports the avago 3090 - I think I may have repeatedly said the S3090 sensor in my video. I realized i made a mistake and its' the A3090 - please accept my apology in advance for this error in the video. The internals are effectively the same as the AM. Tests have been done to death of this sensor, but I might as well post my own results.

In a nutshell - tracking is awesome - at almost all settings, it can track more than 3m/s.
Jitter is few, some coming only at the 2300 dpi settings.
No prediction
No acceleration

ALL TESTS ARE PERFORMED ON THE QCK HEAVY

Lift Off Distance is VERY low as seen in Zowie's previous mice - Approximately 1.8mm thumb.gif

Buttons / Switches / Scroll Wheel

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest differences between the STOCK AM and FK as well. Though the sport the same internals, Huano switches, they feel very different. From the small reading that I've done, noting some commits from Skylit, the shell of the mouse would make a difference towards the actuation and the feel of the click of the switch. I definitely feel like they've been adjusted in a way to feel lighter, and more responsive in this sense. People have always complained that the AM buttons were very hard to press, especially that of the side buttons as well. However, I do not feel like this is a BIG issue with the FK.

Button Test Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcL2uY1srAs

Some people may want to choose to MOD their switches into OMRON because it would make the world of a difference to their gaming. thumb.gif However, I'm actually quite happy with the stock FK switches. Admittedly, the AM buttons do feel very relatively hard to depress so I'm on the bandwagon in terms of that complaint. However, the Huano switches on the FK are much more nicer (bearable) and gives a nice change to the omron switches found in most other mice.

Build Quality

The cord is very simple, neither too thin or too thick, yet very flexible.

Though it's not exactly braided like some of the newer Razer and SteelSeries mice, I find this to be a non-issue. Furthermore, it's also extremely tangle-free and somehow finds a way to untangle itself (like magic). That's really about it for the cord.

Overall Build quality - the FK sports a Matte finish which is found in most of their mice. However, I must note that the matte finish is slightly different from the AM matte finish. It's slightly more grippier though still maintaining it's smoothness. However, the AM starts off by having a very smooth surface which makes gripping it slightly hard. Due to the fact the AM has a fatter mid section, added to the fact that the grip is more slippery, it's harder to pick up the AM off the mousepad as compared to the FK. This is the main reason why I prefer the FK over the AM.

Conclusion

Overall, I feel like Zowie has made a great product DIFFERENT to that of the AM. Though it sports the same internals, I think it's a nice change for people with different hand sizes and grip styles like me. Because of familiar feel it has to the sensei / xai / kinzu (some of my more favorite SHAPES not necessarily internals), I think I may choose to keep the FK for a good amount of time. Along with it's low LOD, decent sensor, bearable Huano switches, I think it's gonna be my main mouse for a while to come. That's of course, until my IE3.0 bullies it's way back to my desk of which it'll always have priority over.
Bullveyr, Remmib, PUKED and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Gone

Liked: 570
Quote:
Lift Off Distance is VERY low as seen in Zowie's previous mice - Approximately 1.8mm

Will variate based on surfacing.

Nice overview otherwise. smile.gif

post #3 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 AM
Mouse reviews

Liked: 412
Nice review!

Somehow those tracking rates look higher than what I heard of the AM. Nice of you to put those screens up with every polling rate and dpi setting. Looks like 450dpi@500 Hz would be the best setting for me, 2300dpi just jitters too much (at least compared to my beloved Savu that has zero jitter wink.gif )

OCN Labs Reviewer 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 AM

Liked: 37
I recently got the EC2 Evo and find that I hate its scrollwheel a lot. It feels sticky and it feels like the notch and the actual scroll action do not correspond closely with each other. Do AM/FK have the same scrollwheel?
post #5 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisinbun View Post

I recently got the EC2 Evo and find that I hate its scrollwheel a lot. It feels sticky and it feels like the notch and the actual scroll action do not correspond closely with each other. Do AM/FK have the same scrollwheel?
IIRC it has a smaller wheel but feels pretty much the same.
post #6 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 AM
Gone

Liked: 570
Quote:

Yes.

I prefer a well designed mechanical encoder.

post #7 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 57
Nice review! thumb.gif

When mine arrives will post some comments here aswell how it feels for me.
I am especially curious how the huano switches feel for me always used omron switches.
But I like black switches better in my keyboard then red switches so mabay I like the harder to press huano's more.

Shapewise its seems nicer then my savu for clawgripping but have to wait and see.
post #8 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 177
If you fingertip it, does your palm rest on the desk or on the back of the mouse?

thumb.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #9 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

If you fingertip it, does your palm rest on the desk or on the back of the mouse?

my palm would rest on the desk - it's a fairly medium sized mouse and my hands are a decent size
post #10 of 92 Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 142
Quote:

It is true that the actual actuation point of the scroll is not synchronized with the indents of the wheel. This is only noticed when you scroll slowly, if you are looking for it that is. Kingsis seems to lack in the fine details.

Check out this post to see if that will remedy your discontent. The EC has a stupid security screw (triangle) by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

Yes.

I prefer a well designed mechanical encoder.

But those will wear out, right?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page