post #11 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One of us. One of us. One of us.

Er, I mean...

I know some people who play quite well on cheap office mice, but the vast majority of gamers I know own a gaming mouse. The difference in performance is small but tangible (for the best gaming mice) if you're perceptive/have a low latency setup, and comfort, durability, extra buttons are definitely nice. As much a matter of "it's worth spending more on a peripheral I'm using all the time" as "I will play $45 better with this $60 gaming mouse as this $15 office mouse."

It's important to emphasize the low latency setup: if you're getting 30 frames per second or less in games, I doubt you're going to notice a difference in mice other than feel and your money might be better spent on other system upgrades.

Regardless of what you do, your game will probably improve if you learn a little bit more about dpi/mouse stuff in general and focus on finding a sensitivity that works for you and that is consistent across the games you play -- something you can do on the mouse you already own as well as you can on a Deathadder. A site like www.mouse-sensitivity.com will both help with the technical stuff and help you learn the basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 18
I tried playing Left for Dead 2 with a generic mouse after getting used to my Logitech G400 and I could not stand it! In Diablo 3, I had no problem though.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 3
I've had a Logitech G600 for almost a year now, and I love it. I play a lot of MMO's so for me having the buttons on the side have been wonderful. It takes a little getting used to but it's worth it in the end. I guess in response to your question my answer would be "What kind of games do you play?" MMO's and FPS's I use the side buttons all the time, however RTS's (such as Star Craft 2) I rarely use them. As far as DPI is concerned the only difference I noticed was in FPS's, my accuracy improved greatly with a better mouse. As with everything in PC's and gaming in general, it's all about personal preference (and how much money you're willing to spend). biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 60
More buttons is the only decent feature I find. I don't know about sensors and such and never could tell the difference either way. But the concept of "gaming" anything is nothing more than a gimmick really. Pay more just because it says "gaming". I did very well for several years with a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Was gonna try the Logitech G600 but lost interest in gaming altogether. Razer is overpriced junk from the 2 that I've owned, both lasted me a month or two tops.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers
post #15 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Tablet Guru

Liked: 674
For me DPI is not as important as poll rate. I use a Microsoft Sidewinder that only has a maximum DPI of 2000. However is has a 500hz poll rate. That is where it differs from non "gaming" mice or wireless mice.

Most non gaming oriented mice only have a 125hz poll rate.

Poll rate has an effect on input lag.

post #16 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 6
Best response (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeather View Post

The benefits of a gaming mouse are varied, and based on the individual's needs. If you don't feel you need one, don't buy one.

Alternatively, here are some rationales other people have used to justify a gaming mouse:

- My aim is being effected by mouse jitter, acceleration, and/or angle snapping.
- I need more programmable buttons for macros to go along with my keyboard binds.
- I don't want to have to move my hand off WASD but also want a wide range of macro'able keys.
- I need a mouse which tracks on a wide range of surfaces.
- I need a mouse which can have it's weight adjusted depending on my preference.
- I need a mouse which can have it's polling rate and/or sensitivity adjusted (on a hardware level) depending on my preference.
- The standard USB mouse drivers interfere with my game/gameplay for some reason.
- I need a mouse which is more durable and can take a beating when things get intense.
- I want a more comfortable mouse design.
- Aesthetics of my peripherals are very important to me.

(no doubt I've missed a few)

Fleetfeather hit it spot on. I will throw my opinion in with the M.M.O. 7 by MadCatz. I purchased mine a few months ago and haven't looked back. I have everything from a basic mouse, to an executive comfort mouse to a high end gaming mouse and haven't used any of the others since getting my M.M.O. 7. The mouse is fully adjustable for comfort, has many programmable buttons that I have set up differently for different games. I have individual profiles for WoW, LoL, CoD BO2, DotA, Skyrim, Darksiders 2 and the plethora of other games that I play. It makes gameplay so much smoother.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
nVidia Enthusiast

Liked: 0
If you have the money, try one.
I bought one because I used for five years a cheap Genius notebook mouse, but after spending lots of time playing TF2, I noticed that the sensor was bad, and it couldn´t track well when I made fast movements, like, when I tried to rocket jump, and , it was so small that it was a bit unstable to aim with. So, I ended up buying a Zowie AM-GS, and afet getting used to the new DPI and shape, I felt more comfy at the game, and I didn´t have to worry about the bad tracking. Not incredibly worth it, but, yeh, defintely better.

I can´t believe that I´m so bad at this!
post #18 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 5
yeah, im sold. gonna put in an order for (i think) the death adder.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page