I discovered something about mouse clicking finger knuckle pain today - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 02:59 PM
 
trism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's entirely individual and depends heavily on the anatomy. Claw grip is less straining for my hand than palm grip. The relaxed, natural position of my hand is much closer to a claw grip than a palm grip. Fingers are not relaxed when they are completely straight. Obviously I am not talking about super-forced claw grip where your fingertips are nearly touching the fingers, but more like bent in angle around ~130-140 degrees. This is how I've been holding the mouse since 95ish and I have never had any wrist or hand related problems except if I try to palm grip something else than massive ergonomic mice for long periods of time at once. Ambidextrous mice in palm grip is a big no no for me. In my claw grip, the tip of the pinkie is pointing towards the base of the thumb and this is why I don't like wide mice. For example the Xornet 2 is a horrible claw grip mouse for me but works somewhat in palm grip, it's just too small.

EDIT: But it's obviously good that you found out what's causing the issue for you. Now you can avoid using mice that are not good for your individual grip. We are actually completely opposite since I don't get any pain/strain when I am holding the fingers like you have with DA Chroma, but my hand gets tired quickly if my fingers are like how you have with the G900 tongue.gif
trism is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 03:21 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 3,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Ditto to above except '88 and a little more relaxed than claw. Let's not take our subjective experiences of holding different mice with our different hands as universal scientific fact - if it's uncomfortable to click you're either holding your mouse in an uncomfortable way or the mouse is not conducive to your grip - this is as about objective as we can get.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
claes is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 03:50 PM
 
popups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ak57 View Post

People have different hands. If I completely relax my fingers, they're bent at like a 90 degree angle at the middle knuckle. A fully flat palm style grip like he has on the G900 is thoroughly uncomfortable for me; if my bottom knuckles don't get to bend downward somewhat (in a claw-grip type fashion) then I'll get a fair amount of pain after a while.

Seems like you have tense hands. You might want to start doing hand exercises to stretch them out and strengthen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamilton View Post

It depends on the game really. In some games, especially FPS, you need to be able to stop on a dime. It's difficult to do that with a loose grip. Your hand naturally tenses up to increase your precision in those situations. If you can get away with playing well with a loose grip, then more power to you.

Depends on the shape and size of the mouse.

Some mice I have to squeeze because of the shape and/or size. Other mice I can just rest my hand on it. That's one reason I prefer glossy mice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ak57 View Post

I was responding to you to acting like claw grip is objectively uncomfortable/not ergonomic when it really comes down to the specific person's hand. Not everyone is built the same so what is relaxing for you/OP is not necessarily relaxing for others.

I have heard stories about people having to hold an object for longer periods of time. They end up with hands that are "stuck" in that position when that object is no longer in their hands.
popups is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM
4.0ghz
 
Falkentyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Riverside
Posts: 4,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I was going to say that it's the length of the G900 vs the Deathadder that makes it so comfortable (The G502 is similar), especially combined with the separate lever long buttons, that allow you to use a comfortable grip, but then a forum fight started :/. I love the Logitech 3366 mice, despite the design flaws in the G502. I'm afraid to use my G900 because I'm afraid I'll get it dirty or break it somehow.
Falkentyne is online now  
post #15 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 PM
 
M1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post

I'm afraid to use my G900 because I'm afraid I'll get it dirty or break it somehow.

How's that different from any other mouse? Or is it a joke that i dont get?
M1st is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 06:07 PM
 
popups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1st View Post

How's that different from any other mouse? Or is it a joke that i dont get?

$$$
popups is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM
 
M1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups View Post

$$$

But aren't these $$$ just being thrown out of the window by not using them?
M1st is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Got the KPM and have been playing with it a good part of the day. It's fine too! I have been messing around with the DA more and I found out the reason I arch my finger so much on it is because of the way it is shaped. If I fully palm grip it I don't feel like I can click the button fast enough for FPS games so over the course of the game without thinking I arch my finger to get faster clicks. The G900, the KPM and the Lachesis are flat enough that my finger can remain flat and click fast enough that I don't sub conciously switch it up mid game.


Killer Axe.... Its all about the band.gif I am a guitar player not an axe murderer

WHY you should NEVER buy an MSI motherboard gunner.gif
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 07-06-2016, 10:53 PM
 
nillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I get hand pain, it seems to be related to how much I have to tense up my grip on the sides of the mouse to hold on to it as I lift. I play with a pretty low sensitivity, so lifting my mouse in-game is important. When I try to do a full palm grip on a mouse, it's pretty comfortable for regular use but when I get in-game, I get hand pain pretty quickly because they tend to have a \ slope on the right side. That means I need to tense up quite a bit and "compress" my palm, bringing the left and right sides of my palm closer together, to get a decent grip on it, though that may just be because of how the mouse interacts with the shape of my palm in particular. Anyway, to alleviate that pain, I tend to use a more claw-type grip. I can keep my palm more open by flexing my thumb, ring, and pinky fingers towards the mouse, and that relieves the stress on my hand. Something like the Zowie EC series and Deathadder are nice for desktop use, but I get into game and I start to get pain on both sides of my palm, just beyond the wrist. When I use my KPM or g303, I go into a full claw/fingertip, and I can play for hours with absolutely no pain. Even though my index finger is flexed just like OP's on the Deathadder, I have never once, with any mouse, had pain anywhere in that finger. For whatever reason, using my fingers to grip, alleviating stress from my palm itself, is the most comfortable way for me to grip a mouse.

I want to say it has more to do with how we trained ourselves to use mice: some of you may have started with an IME or something similar, I started with a smaller Logitech mouse, and then another small-ish Logitech mx310. I've always had long fingers, so even though I was young, those mice were pretty small and I never really used a palm grip. At any rate, making categorical statements about how everyone should hold mice is a bit silly. Do what works for you, but don't assume it's best for everyone else too. The fact that you can't imagine it being comfortable doesn't mean it can't actually be comfortable.
killeraxemannic likes this.
nillington is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
Audiophile
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nillington View Post

When I get hand pain, it seems to be related to how much I have to tense up my grip on the sides of the mouse to hold on to it as I lift. I play with a pretty low sensitivity, so lifting my mouse in-game is important. When I try to do a full palm grip on a mouse, it's pretty comfortable for regular use but when I get in-game, I get hand pain pretty quickly because they tend to have a \ slope on the right side. That means I need to tense up quite a bit and "compress" my palm, bringing the left and right sides of my palm closer together, to get a decent grip on it, though that may just be because of how the mouse interacts with the shape of my palm in particular. Anyway, to alleviate that pain, I tend to use a more claw-type grip. I can keep my palm more open by flexing my thumb, ring, and pinky fingers towards the mouse, and that relieves the stress on my hand. Something like the Zowie EC series and Deathadder are nice for desktop use, but I get into game and I start to get pain on both sides of my palm, just beyond the wrist. When I use my KPM or g303, I go into a full claw/fingertip, and I can play for hours with absolutely no pain. Even though my index finger is flexed just like OP's on the Deathadder, I have never once, with any mouse, had pain anywhere in that finger. For whatever reason, using my fingers to grip, alleviating stress from my palm itself, is the most comfortable way for me to grip a mouse.

I want to say it has more to do with how we trained ourselves to use mice: some of you may have started with an IME or something similar, I started with a smaller Logitech mouse, and then another small-ish Logitech mx310. I've always had long fingers, so even though I was young, those mice were pretty small and I never really used a palm grip. At any rate, making categorical statements about how everyone should hold mice is a bit silly. Do what works for you, but don't assume it's best for everyone else too. The fact that you can't imagine it being comfortable doesn't mean it can't actually be comfortable.

This is great... You have thought about the same things as me but you came to a different conclusion based on your hand. I basically wanted to get the discussion started... I have looked a lot on the internet for ergonomics discussions on forums and I don't find much. That's why I wanted to get one going!

Killer Axe.... Its all about the band.gif I am a guitar player not an axe murderer

WHY you should NEVER buy an MSI motherboard gunner.gif
killeraxemannic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off