post #8381 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Case Modder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefk View Post

With the Catleap Q270, how hot does the brick get for you guys after a few hours? I just got it, and it's an amazing monitor, but after ~1 hour of using it, the brick is pretty hot in the hand. I can still hold and squeeze it, but it'll be uncomfortable. I know it's fine at this temperature but I hope it doesn't keep increasing.
I'll probably get a step up transformer if this brick keeps getting hotter.

I have mine on 24/7 and its cooler than some of my laptop bricks,
Id say get a transformer most likely will increase longevity and cool it down.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8382 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamy144 View Post

I have mine on 24/7 and its cooler than some of my laptop bricks,
Id say get a transformer most likely will increase longevity and cool it down.

I saw that there is a power brick that works with these monitors and is designed for 110V and up. I think I'll buy that and see how it goes.
post #8383 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 63
Quote:

With the Catleap Q270, how hot does the brick get for you guys after a few hours? I just got it, and it's an amazing monitor, but after ~1 hour of using it, the brick is pretty hot in the hand. I can still hold and squeeze it, but it'll be uncomfortable. I know it's fine at this temperature but I hope it doesn't keep increasing.
I'll probably get a step up transformer if this brick keeps getting hotter.
I have a 2703 and I'm in the same boat. Makes a little high pitched noise too if I hold my ear close to it. Should I be concerned? I have a squaretrade warranty I guess if it takes out the monitor. If the brick dies there is always ebay for the replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8384 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavey00 View Post

I have a 2703 and I'm in the same boat. Makes a little high pitched noise too if I hold my ear close to it. Should I be concerned? I have a squaretrade warranty I guess if it takes out the monitor. If the brick dies there is always ebay for the replacement.

If you keep it at temperatures that burn your hand while holding/squeezing it, it's too hot and will probably die after a few weeks. If you notice that it gets to that temperature, I'd recommend either getting a step up transformer or the "EFL-2202W" power brick from eBay. It's specs are the same as this one (even the connector) except that it's designed for 110V+, so it probably won't overheat.

I'm using the stock brick and the temperature for me has stayed just below that threshold. I've had it on for a few hours. If it stays this way, I doubt the brick or monitor will die anytime soon, but I ordered the 110V+ adapter just to be safe.
post #8385 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Programmer

Liked: 2
Been reading through these last few posts.

So just to confirm, I've got my 2703 plugged straight to a 220v outlet right now. I gave it a touch and it does seem a bit hot.

It's much safer to plug it into a transformer or a voltage regulator at 110v?

post #8386 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by foilfence View Post

Been reading through these last few posts.
So just to confirm, I've got my 2703 plugged straight to a 220v outlet right now. I gave it a touch and it does seem a bit hot.
It's much safer to plug it into a transformer or a voltage regulator at 110v
?
Interesting. What country is that in? I thought maybe mine was getting hot because it WASN'T plugged into 220 (brick rated 190-220 or something, with a sticker on it that says 110v ok).
Quote:

If you keep it at temperatures that burn your hand while holding/squeezing it, it's too hot and will probably die after a few weeks. If you notice that it gets to that temperature, I'd recommend either getting a step up transformer or the "EFL-2202W" power brick from eBay. It's specs are the same as this one (even the connector) except that it's designed for 110V+, so it probably won't overheat.
I'm using the stock brick and the temperature for me has stayed just below that threshold. I've had it on for a few hours. If it stays this way, I doubt the brick or monitor will die anytime soon, but I ordered the 110V+ adapter just to be safe.
It doesn't burn me so much as just gets pretty damn warm after a few hours. I'm gonna have to grab some of the other convertors around the house to compare. I know I've had transformers get that warm before but I can't remember what they were powering.
post #8387 of 11311 Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 PM

I have a Yamakasi 2703, I am noticing that the backlight will dim quickly and very slightly a couple of times in a row. It only happens about once a day for maybe 30 seconds. It is pretty slight and I only really notice it if I am browsing on a white background like reddit. Do you think this could be a bad power brick or maybe a bad wall plug?
post #8388 of 11311 Old 09-15-2012, 02:17 AM

Liked: 2
The backlight bleed in the top-middle of my Catleap is getting worse (still only noticeable on black screen though). Such a shame they're more expensive now, would have got another one. There's no fix for backlight bleed right?

thumb.gif
post #8389 of 11311 Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Liked: 0
One of my 2 monitors (received just over 45 days ago) developed a severe left/right side brightness problem. Am I best off trying to get bigclothcraft to accept it back for warranty service or should I try the known fix to this problem on my own? Is the known fix applicable if the problem develops instantly rather than always existed (monitor used to be perfect, developed severe left/right brightness problem instantly)

I don't have a lot of experience with soldering parts but do have an undergraduate minor in electrical engineering (major computer engineering) so I could probably figure it out. The part I have issues with is how do you replace a resistor on a pcb?

edit: is replacing the PCB altogether viable?
post #8390 of 11311 Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Programmer

Liked: 3
I see the Q270 SE is back to a 'normal' price with green-sum, good to see.

May the source be with you

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page