post #21 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Intel Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameGoesHer View Post

Yes, well when you can see the FPS your mind likes to play tricks on you.
When I see an overlay on metro 2033 that says 20FPS it looks like stop motion to me. In the exact same scene and position without an FPS overlay, it looks almost good.

this exactly!

sure we might notice our frames drop when a game stutters but without me seeing fraps in the corner I would never know any difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

There are no 1000000000Hz monitors. You probably mean 1000Hz or kilohertz. Those TV create the additional frames via interpolation.
It's not quite placebo....

Why is no one capable of understanding sarcasm or exaggeration these days?
post #23 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3130
As a long-time former owner of high end CRTs I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the difference between 60 and 120, or even 120 and 240 fps can be quite perceptible, without an FPS counter running. I'd go so far to say that I could guess the refresh rate of most CRTs within 10 or 20Hz by looking at the screen for a few seconds, and guess the frame rate of games that I am familiar with within 10-20%, with no overlays or counters.

Still, there are hugely diminishing returns, and I don't find 60Hz LCDs to be all that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipekill2445 View Post

Actually a 60hz monitor can only display 60FPS, end of story.

A 60Hz monitor can completely refresh 60 times per second, that's not quite the same as only being able to display 60 fps. 60 complete frames? Yes, but tearing can often mean parts of two or three frames on screen in a single refresh.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 AM
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameGoesHer View Post

Why is no one capable of understanding sarcasm or exaggeration these days?

Needs a sarcmark!

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #25 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
For me, I've played over 10 years of competitive shooters. Frankly even 120hz is starting to bother me a lot lately. Yes there will be diminishing returns, but Imo we should aim for having atleast 240 hz/fps as standard instead of 60 for this decade.

I really hate even with newest hardware I can't get 240+ fps on 5+years old DX9 titles. The Discrete graphics card aren't even optimized for DX9 Anymore. Really annoying considering the fact that almost all competitive FPS games still use DX9.

I am so annoyed the standard is still 60hz/60fps. It outright kills all the enjoyability of gaming for me.

post #26 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3130
You have to realize that you are a minority amongst a minority amongst a minority.

The vast majority of gamers can handle 30 fps without complaint, and it's vastly easier to capitalize on more complex visuals than on higher frame rates.

Trying to get 240fps out of games, as a standard, would set back other aspects of IQ by nearly 10 years.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #27 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
nVidia Enthusiast

Liked: 30
Here is my 2cents.gif take it or leave it.

I had used a 60hz monitor my entire life until earlier this year. This January I bought the 120hz BenQ XL2420T. I was extremely skeptical before I got it but I Just decided to go for it since I needed a new monitor anyways. At first I didn't see it and thought my monitor was broken, felt the same as all my other monitors until i realized I HADN'T SWITCHED IT TO 120HZ! doh.gif i thought it would have just been at 120hz from the get-go.

The second I changed it I could see the 120hz. Just moving the cursor on my desktop felt more fluent. I didn't get screen tearing in any of my games anymore besides the ones I could run at over 120hz so I just capped the frames at 120 in counter strike for example.

I haven't used the 3D yet so I can't really comment on that. I don't play many games that have a 3D setting so I haven't gone out to buy the glasses.

120hz monitors are excellent in my opinion. A little overpriced maybe, depends what your definition of overpriced is.

post #28 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

You have to realize that you are a minority amongst a minority amongst a minority.
The vast majority of gamers can handle 30 fps without complaint, and it's vastly easier to capitalize on more complex visuals than on higher frame rates.
Trying to get 240fps out of games, as a standard, would set back other aspects of IQ by nearly 10 years.

Yes, unless everyone demanded it. It would be nice if some company would push aggressive marketing to make every customer see a real difference between 60hz and TRUE 240hz. I'd say they'd go ":O". I think the normal customer don't care because the current FALSE 240hz monitors look like crap, and feel like crap due to interpolation etc, etc. So they just think all HZ beyond 60 hz looks crap for whatever reason. They might've shot themselves in foot with that FALSE HZ, cuz they've lost a selling point in future with TRUE higher HZ monitors, unless they market and admit they cheated the customers with higher HZ before.

If even 1/3 of the consumers demanded TRUE 120+ hz as standard, due to someone's aggressive marketing, a lot of companies would need to change their plans. This would give the market yet another point where to make money. Everyone'd buy new monitor due to this and new systems.

IQ would go back a few years yes, at first, but I suspect the aspect of $$ would make hardware companies pick up speed, and we'd end up with same IQ level in couple years. Win-Win situation for us and them.

I'm bad at economy and don't understand marketing, and if this would even be possible. I'm sure people will come to educate me on this matter, and I thank you for that.

post #29 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahar View Post

Yes, unless everyone demanded it. It would be nice if some company would push aggressive marketing to make every customer see a real difference between 60hz and TRUE 240hz. I'd say they'd go ":O". I think the normal customer don't care because the current FALSE 240hz monitors look like crap, and feel like crap due to interpolation etc, etc. So they just think all HZ beyond 60 hz looks crap for whatever reason. They might've shot themselves in foot with that FALSE HZ, cuz they've lost a selling point in future with TRUE higher HZ monitors, unless they market and admit they cheated the customers with higher HZ before.
If even 1/3 of the consumers demanded TRUE 120+ hz as standard, due to someone's aggressive marketing, a lot of companies would need to change their plans. This would give the market yet another point where to make money. Everyone'd buy new monitor due to this and new systems.
IQ would go back a few years yes, at first, but I suspect the aspect of $$ would make hardware companies pick up speed, and we'd end up with same IQ level in couple years. Win-Win situation for us and them.
I'm bad at economy and don't understand marketing, and if this would even be possible. I'm sure people will come to educate me on this matter, and I thank you for that.

LCD technology and features is driven by the TV market... not the computer world.

120Hz make sense because of 24FPS movies (24*5=120)..... With 5:5 pulldown, there won't be any judder.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #30 of 62 Old 08-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahar View Post

Even if we managed to get 240 to the normal there will still be pc enthusiasts screaming and demanding for 480hz!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page