Is multimonitor gaming worth it on an unlimited budget? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I built my current machine to multiscreen game and i was really really let down. I do however recommend multi screens for a heavy user. I run 3 24"s and love it.

My watercooled Build XSPC + EK In 800D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 AM

Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by placidity View Post

I was wondering if it would be worth it to debezel a Yamasaki catleap capable of 120hz and put 5 of them in 5x1. Or would it be better to just get a 1600p U3011 and game on that. I'm not sure if the bezels would drive me nuts. I'm half tempted to just cancel my newegg order for my 3930k, and 4x 4gb zotac 680's and just get an imac.

wth.gif

Current OC: CPU - 4.8 Ghz @ 1.40Vcore / RAM 1600 8-8-8-24 1T @ 1.475 V -- I hate overclocking RAM ... mad.gif
Detailed OC settings: (Click to show)
BClk 100.0 / Multi 48x
Asus Multicore enhancement - Enabled
Internal PLL overvoltage - Enabled
Memory Frequency - 1600
EPU power saving - Disabled

Digi+ :
LLC - High
Voltage Frequency - Auto
VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled
CPU Power Phase Control - Optimized
CPU Power Duty Control - T. Probe
CPU Current Capability - 110%
CPU Power Response Control - Regular

CPU voltage - Offset mode - +0.040
DRAM Voltage - 1.465
VccSA (System Agent) - 0.86250
VccIO (IMC basically) - 1.06875
PLL - 1.46875

Spread Spectrum - Disabled

Only C1E state enabled
post #13 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 64
Pushing out 2560x1440x5 @ 60fps is going to be tough even if Quad SLI'ing 690s (if thats even possible) - they dont scale after 2 cards very well http://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-benchmarked-in-quad-sli-23219787/

EDIT: Oops forgot only Radeons can do 5x1, current Geforce can only push 3x1

Itll draw a ton of power (around 300w) and get pretty hot (around 80C) under load - so theres that to consider - id stick them in its own room if possible - all the fans sound like a jet engine (my crossfired 6970s are in next spare bedroom - and it gets HOT in there when playing a game, luckily i can shut the door.

and having 5x27" monitors at around 60w each - they get pretty warm as well (at least my Crossover gets pretty warm at around 60% brightness)

As for the bezel thing - honestly you dont notice it too much when youre actually playing the game and you feel pretty immersed, if you use bezel compensation it lessens it out even more ( i just pretend im in a mech hah) -

the real problem comes from unoptimized UIs, more often than not games will have UIs pinned to the left/right corners - and on a surround setting it gets REALLY annoying - sometimes you can live with it..sometimes you cant - hopefully the people found at widescrengamingforum wil have a plug in for that particular game that will fix UIs (widescreenfixer.org)

Oh another potentially HUGE problem is microstutter - which rears its ugly head in SLI/Crossfire setups in some games (max payne 3, sleeping dogs) - some games its not too bad (Batman Arkham City)

Another problem i had was the Fisheye effect - which is prevalent in ALL 3D games using 1 camera for pov (which is all of them) - even 16:9 you can see it happening at the ends of the screen - you can lessen it by having the screens completely flat and not pointed towards you AND not looking directly at them (only using your peripheral vision) - if you use a projection system you can get warping software but im not sure they work for monitors..

TLDR my problem with eyefinity was
1) GPU power not quite there yet
2) Microstutter
3) Heat & Power & Noise
4) Sometimes funky UIs, the need for 3rd party fix tools

Dont get me wrong - most games did work in Eyefinity - maybe 1 out of 5 didnt work to a point where i choose to play in single monitor mode. I sold my 3x1920x1080 TN monitors and opted to get a 27" Korean IPS, and overall its better for me although sometimes i miss the immersiveness of games when eyefinity does work properly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 120
7680x1440p amazingness

Steam: Khyber GT | Origin: Khyber_GT | XBL: Khyber GT | PSN: ThreefiddyZ | PST for iRacing name
post #15 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
OverCrook'd

Liked: 379
I don't think it's worth it as the fish eye effect is horrible in my opinion. I tested it out a while back and ended up selling the extra card I bought straight away.

New around these parts? Check out The Ultimate Newbie Guide And General Information Thread! Oh, and don't forget to fill in your rig specs under the My Profile page!
-
Don't know your DIMM from your DRAM? Check out Overclocking Acronyms for Dummies!
-
Site changed since last time you visited or just wondering what features the forum has? Visit the Features & Explanations thread!
post #17 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 301
I'm not sure what to think with this thread. First, you have about 5 different threads opened on which monitor you should get that are all pretty much the same thing. Second, you have a bunch of different threads open asking which CPU you should get. Third, you just asked if you should spend an incredible amount of money (3K+ for PC, probably a good 1500 on monitors at least) on a PC, or buy an iMac. I have also noticed that you have an extreme problem with OCD (I am in no way making fun, as I suffer a bit from it) from your multiple threads you have created asking if you should buy a brand new Xbox because yours has a scratch on it. My advice, cancel your order and really think about what you are planning to do. If you are going to college like other threads have suggested, there is no way I would put 5K worth of PC stuff towards a college PC.
mpreal likes this.

post #18 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 1
^ +1
post #19 of 26 Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks8981 View Post

...asking if you should buy a brand new Xbox because yours has a scratch on it.

Man, I had that happen - brand new 360 came out of the box with a scratch on the front panel. Annoyed the hell out of me and was one of my reasons for selling it. So I can't really blame him for that... biggrin.gif

If I had extreme funding (which I don't) and was considering multi-monitors (which I wouldn't), I'd think outside the square a little and be tempted to try something like 3x Sony PVM2541.

Also:

wfJxW.jpg

Screw LCD.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

Man, I had that happen - brand new 360 came out of the box with a scratch on the front panel. Annoyed the hell out of me and was one of my reasons for selling it. So I can't really blame him for that... biggrin.gif
If I had extreme funding (which I don't) and was considering multi-monitors (which I wouldn't), I'd think outside the square a little and be tempted to try something like 3x Sony PVM2541.
Also:
wfJxW.jpg
Screw LCD.
Man, I had that happen - brand new 360 came out of the box with a scratch on the front panel. Annoyed the hell out of me and was one of my reasons for selling it. So I can't really blame him for that...

Thank you so much!!! Most people don't understand haha.

"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
— The Joker

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page