22 inch monitors are lacking quality. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I wanted to give some feedback on some recently purchased monitors.
So if anyone is looking for 22 inch monitors might be a good read of what to look for and what to stay away from when buying.

I recently had a futureshop open up near me so I decided its probably a good time to upgrade my 19 and 17 inch monitors to a 20+ inch widescreen.
After looking at many monitors I decided to take home a
22inch Samsung 225BW wide screen 1680x1050 resolution, 700 :1 280cd/M2, digital/analog cables included.

This monitor looked fantastic in the store colors are good, is really bright, has a 5ms response time. Get it home hook it up and about 3 mins later I start noticing the edges of the monitor getting bright and sure enough the entire edge of the monitor has backlight bleeding. The top and bottom about an inch of white light. Some may say hey I can live with that but no way in hell Ill ever own a monitor with backlight bleeding so I take right back to the store.
Explain to them why I'm returning it and they refund me so I can exchange for another monitor.

On this trip to the store I decided to have a closer look at all the monitors.
I borrowed a clip board from one of the sales reps and start hovering the clip board over the monitors as I walk down the rows of monitors switching all the screen to blank screen savers. Sure enough all the widescreen samsungs have white light shinning through the edges.

So I begin my search for another brand, see some Acers, Backlight bleeding and the actual display model has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen big flourescent green one sticking right out at you.(told the rep to change his display model).

On to the HP. HP looked promising, the display model 21 inch didnt have any backlight bleeding but the color was lacking a little and the monitor was slightly darker.
But I spot a 22 inch HP not on display in a box on the shelves so I ask the sales rep if he would be so kind as to hook this monitor up for me. he was kind enough to help me out and had it going wihtin minutes.

HP w22 22 inch wide screen 1680x1050 resolution, 700 :1 300cd/M2, analog cable included.
Everything looked good in the store. LCD monitors in the bright light of a retail store can look much different than a dark room. Got it home within 3 mins I could see some exceptionally bad backlight bleeding worse than the samsung.
And ontop of that the screen had some wierd interfirence and wavy lines running across diagonally. looking closer at the screen you can actually see pixels jumping about. Its now returned aswell

So I got on the phone with both companies before I retuned them, Samsung was cool said "yeah we have never heard of this backlight problem"(Some serious bs coming from him) but said retun it to the store. Or to them and I can get a refurbished unit(no thanks, to the store it goes).
Hp was someone that could barely speak enligh and ran me through about an hour of troubleshooting different things, including plugging the monitor into different computers using differnt cables and turing my computers off and unplugging and blah blah blah, which got nowhere, eventually just told him im returning the monitor good bye.

So im back to my 19inch samsung and 17inch LG flatron which have never given me any problems no backlight issues or wierd interfeirence.

In conclusion, a word of caution if your looking into 22 inch widescreens, check for backlight bleeding, becouse all the 22 inch monitors I had my hands on had serious problems. that was about 10 different monitors from 3 different companies 100% backlight problems.

If I owned a camera I'd have taken a picture, but you can google (samsung 225BW backlight bleeding) and you might be able to find a picture, I know theres a few out there.
Chozart likes this.

:
post-flame-small.gifJoin the overclock.net folding team 37726 . post-flame-small.gif

Quote:
“Quantum Interference of Tunnel Trajectories between States of Different Spin Length in a Dimeric Molecular Nanogmagnet.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
The Odd Mod

Liked: 1172
How about 20". I have no problems with my (non-widescreen) monitor.

They're the same resolution as the 22" monitors, so no loss in resolution on comparison.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I am Iron Man

Liked: 179
I wouldn't buy a 22" monitor, if only for the reason that it shares the same resolution with the 20" monitor, so the 20" will have better quality, at least I think so.

Most who don't understand don't care and most who do understand also don't care.
The only people with a problem are the people who don't understand but still care, but then that's the problem with most topics these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Freeze It

Liked: 582
yeah the 22"ws are prone to having those problems for some reason, apparently the 20.1 or the next bigger are better, ive got the 22" samsung 225bw basically because it was so cheap in comparison and other then the back light bleed its a good monitor, plays games very well, persoanlly i dont notice the bleed unless its a totally black screen, they do have there issues though ill admit,

E6400@3856E4300@4158E6600@4510,Opti148@3102,opti170@2918,UD3P&9550@4692
UD3P&84005304,UD3p&85005567

post #5 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 PM

Liked: 2
good info. I was actually thinking of getting a 22" within the next 2 or so months, I will reconsider and probably look into 20"

post #6 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 66
After all that I wont be buying any monitors soon.

Chozart all the 20 inch and 19 17 inch non widescreen samsungs and lg's did not show any sign of the bleeding in the store, and the ones I have at home and use every day for the last 2 years either.

Its just the 22 inch widescreens and the 21 inch acer that i was seeing these problems.
Samsung makes some really sepctacular monitors but they let the ball drop with the 22's.

:
post-flame-small.gifJoin the overclock.net folding team 37726 . post-flame-small.gif

Quote:
“Quantum Interference of Tunnel Trajectories between States of Different Spin Length in a Dimeric Molecular Nanogmagnet.”
post #7 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 348
I have the Acer 22", no dead pixel, no back light bleeding, no problems what so ever. I don't know what to say about your experience. I will have to say, the Samsung one they had on display had some bad backlight bleeding. But the Acer they had didn't, and neither does mine.

post #8 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
The Odd Mod

Liked: 1172
I'd personally pick a 20" over an 22", given that the resolution is the same.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
I'd personally pick a 20" over an 22", given that the resolution is the same.
yea everyone said that when i was asking about it. but I really can't tell the difference. I mean from where I am sitting, it looks just as clear. The fonts are clear and everything else. So to me it looks great.

post #10 of 36 Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 PM
listen

Liked: 497
I've read about the backlight bleeding on newegg. It seems to be a brand issue..not a size.

I will be getting a Sceptre 22" Thursday:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824112005

I've heard nothing but great things about this monitor.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page