Asus VG248QE 144hz 1ms TN 1080p - Page 36 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #351 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got my three up and running. Love them. OOB colors were crap. Used the ICC Profile from the disk and dropped brightness and contrast by ~20 each. That was enough, they look great now. Coming from a near-zero input lag 120hz monitor (LG Flatron W2363D). This baby is just as fast if not faster. Everything is buttery smooth.

Battle-station:
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/2181/img0294kz.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Programmer

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoburai View Post

Coming from a near-zero input lag 120hz monitor (LG Flatron W2363D). This baby is just as fast if not faster. Everything is buttery smooth.

The LG has a GtG Pixel Response Time of over 7ms - it has the least amount of overdrive of any 120hz display. This makes its real terms input lag pretty high, despite having a so-called thru-mode to reduce signal lag.

post #353 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post

The LG has a GtG Pixel Response Time of over 7ms - it has the least amount of overdrive of any 120hz display. This makes its real terms input lag pretty high, despite having a so-called thru-mode to reduce signal lag.

Ah. It was a first gen 120, so I'm not surprised. I seem to remember reading the input lag was somewhere near 2ms with thru-mode enabled. Been a long time though. At any rate, the asus is solid imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM

I've had mine for a day now, still working out the trouble with the colors.

Another issue, and quite a pesky one, does anyone else have a static death screen problem when viewing Adobe Flash Player vids, particularly Amazon Instant vids at 144hz? As soon as I boot up a vid on Amazon (none of my other players that I've tested suffer this issue) the screen goes to complete static, nothing is visible but volume is still unaffected. I tested refresh rate to all available settings below 144hz and the problem clears up, it's only at 144.

Anyone have any input or encountered this yet?
post #355 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 69
I fail to understand why LED and LCD TN monitors still suffer from lackluster performance, it almost seems the higher the Hz rating the worse the colors, gamma and overall quality suffers! LCD's have been around a long time, I know TN panels are limited when compared to IPS monitors.

The HP 2511x and HP 2711x while only offering 60Hz (5ms) monitors are stunning, have excellent color clarity and sharpness are top notch, why can't there exist a monitor that's close to perfect like the advances in LED HDTV's in the last few years?

It seems as if the 60Hz panels are greatly outperforming there faster cousins by a large margin in picture quality! headscratch.gif

Quote:
The HP 2711x offers a unique 25″ glossy screen with ‘BrightView’ anti-reflective treatment. This gives great depth, clarity and vibrancy to the image. It also works nicely with the strong contrast performance to give games a vivid and lifelike look. The monitor is also responsive with little input lag and no overdrive trailing (inverse ghosting).

The screen is slender and supports only tilt adjustment, although a trio of inputs is included with HDMI being particularly welcome for console gamers.

27″ glossy screen (BrightView)
60Hz TN panel
1920 x 1080 (Full HD) resolution
WLED backlight (sRGB colour gamut)
5ms typical response time
HDMI, DVI and VGA connectivity
Stand is tiltable and can be detached, but no VESA holes are incldued
post #356 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 103
That quote reminds me... It should read '27" glossy screen' not '25" glossy screen'. The real issue with the 120Hz+ TN panels at the moment is the lack of choice. The glossy Samsung models give a nice vibrant picture with excellent shade reproduction (slightly better than HP's glossy 60Hz models in fact). The BenQ and ASUS matte monitors lack this 'pop' to the image due to a combination of screen surface, more restrictive colour gamut and simply how they are set up 'out of the box'. It is possible to improve things with some tweaking on the OSD but you will never get that sort of vibrant lustre from the quite strong anti-glare matte surfaces. It's really nice to see recent IPS models making use of much lighter matte surfaces and it's high time we get some super-responsive TN panels following suit.

And before anybody asks, I don't have any further info on what Samsung are doing in the way of 120Hz+ models at the moment. It's frustrating I know. mad.gif
post #357 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Is Lightboost necessary to be comfortable with this monitor, or can this monitor be enjoyed without Lightboost fiddling?
post #358 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 34
It can be enjoyed very very much without lightboost fiddling no doubt.

Lightboost is just an extra thing, if you want that CRT clarity during moving images. Not everyone will be bothered about such clarity I am sure.

Although I would personally go for a glossy (better colours) 120Hz than these lightboost models if you aren't bothered about lightboost, because the anti-glare coating just annoys me.

post #359 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will admit that I'm a fan of CRTs myself and when I couldn't find a widescreen CRT in my area, I went on and got an LCD monitor. It has nice colors, but even 60 fps on an LCD doesn't look as clear as 60 fps on a CRT. A friend of mine has a CRT in the same room as my Samsung LCD and I just watch how smooth things are on his little 17" monitor. He laughs at me because I trip out when I walk pass his monitor and see how smooth his old screen is compared to my 5ms screen while gaming. I do miss that and I hope this screen can get me as close as possible to that if not exactly like it.
post #360 of 2231 Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Has anyone with this monitor tried to debezel it? I am curious if the VESA mount is fixed on the back of the monitor once it's debezeled or if it is held together by the plastic back of the monitor. If this will VESA mount on a stand without any custom work once debezeled, I am getting 3 of them today!

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page