[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC - Page 852 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #8511 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 07:23 PM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahatiel View Post

When you argue like that every technology is just a pit stop. wink.gif
After years of years with only TN in the gaming sector, ips colours and angel stability is a huge upgrade.
Sure, there are much more better technologys out there. But they need more time to mature (and they are far more expensive).

I've never understood why 'gamers' care at all about IPS viewing angles. When are you ever playing your game from an angle other than straight on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8512 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Mobo Master

Liked: 13
Easy to say: when a friend visits me and we play together a single player game (mostly horror games like outlast biggrin.gif).
It is not only gaming. I watch films too (in lazy positions on my chair).
And with the better angles/colours it's much more enjoyable.
post #8513 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 07:37 PM

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoxy View Post

I've never understood why 'gamers' care at all about IPS viewing angles. When are you ever playing your game from an angle other than straight on?

This

The TN viewing angle thing is ridiculous. If one has a PG278Q and a PG279Q side by side, the differences between the two in terms of experience has nothing to do with viewing angles if you're sitting in a appropriate position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8514 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Easy to say: when a friend visits me and we play together a single player game (mostly horror games like outlast biggrin.gif).
It is not only gaming. I watch films too (in lazy positions on my chair).
And with the better angles/colours it's much more enjoyable.

how's that IPS glow in a game like outlast. Both the monitors have upsides and downsides.
post #8515 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Mobo Master

@Nosaer
"if you're sitting in a appropriate position."

Yes, and it is very relaxing to sit appropriate like the doctors teach us. rolleyes.gif
I hate it when colours change levels because of lacking angle stability.

This isn't a big thing on my pg279q. You see the glow mostly from an angle, viewing of a top position.
Just sitting to the left or right glow isn't a problem at all.
post #8516 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 07:52 PM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Liked: 855
Quote:

When you argue like that every technology is just a pit stop. wink.gif
After years of years with only TN in the gaming sector, ips colours and angel stability is a huge upgrade.
Sure, there are much more better technologys out there. But they need more time to mature (and they are far more expensive).

I think OLED will be a worthy end game. But it's true that everything until then is a pit stop. IPS and TN are very uncomfortable pit stops though.

Discussion on the Oversimplification and Removal of Content in Modern Games
How To: Improve Image Quality in Pre-DX10 Games With NVIDIA Inspector
Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition Discussion | [Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion | Deus Ex GMDX Discussion | Day of Infamy Information/Discussion
Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete | Planescape: Torment | Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines | Arcanum | KOTOR series | Dragon Age: Origins | Fallout series | Deus Ex (GMDX) | Anachronox | SOMA | Penumbra | Amnesia | Underhell | Cryostasis | Anna: Extended Edition | Dishonored series | Thief/Thief 2 | S.T.A.L.K.E.R. | Metro series | Rainbow Six 3: Gold | SWAT 4 | Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod | Garry's Mod | F.E.A.R. | Dark Messiah | Crysis/Crysis Wars | Natural Selection 2 | Unreal Tournament 2004 | Arma 3 | The Talos Principle | MYST | Total War: WARHAMMER series | XCOM 2
post #8517 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Mobo Master

@boredgunner
Oh well, I hope you are right. But who knows how much time will pass before they are marketable and affordable to gamers. frown.gif
If I wait for OLED I will maybe look like Gandalf when I got one.
post #8518 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 PM

@ Lahatiel

"I hate it when colours change levels because of lacking angle stability."

I can see the point, but once again if you're sitting correctly this isn't a problem

"This isn't a big thing on my pg279q. You see the glow mostly from an angle, viewing of a top position.
Just sitting to the left or right glow isn't a problem at all."

it's possible you have an perfect unit, but highly unlikely. if you have a unit that most people settle on, yeah you have glow that would for sure show up in a very dark game like outlast. also note how you contradict yourself, you have to sit correctly.... to alleviate the IPS glow.... kinda like how you have to correctly... to alleviate gamma shift.
post #8519 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Mobo Master

@Nosaer
What? No. Maybe you confound glow and backlight bleeding.
The glow isn't that annoying. Especially not in a fully dark room. Maybe you should order one an look for yourself? Don't let fool yourself by cheap handy pics or storys on the internet. wink.gif
You can perfectly sit next to a person and watch while he/she is playing a (dark) game.
post #8520 of 9463 Old 07-16-2016, 08:44 PM

@Lahatiel

"What? No. Maybe you confound glow and backlight bleeding.
( I know what Glow and and Bleed is. I'm not confusing the two, actually it sounds like you are )

The glow isn't that annoying
( what does this even mean, it maybe not be that "annoying" but it's there... just like gamma shift

. Especially not in a fully dark room. Maybe you should order one an look for yourself?
( I ordered 6, I even kept one, bought and compared it to a PG278Q just to make sure it was worth it, and you know what? in my opinion IPS is over hyped, the only real difference that i saw between the two is the AG coating )

Don't let fool yourself by cheap handy pics or storys on the internet. wink.gif
( nice meme )

You can perfectly sit next to a person and watch while he/she is playing a (dark) game."
(yeah and deal with IPS glow.. like you would with a TN and suffer gamma shift, and just so you know IPS glow is most noticeable in the dark. Having a lot of light around you actually helps make IPS glow less noticeable )

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page