[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC - Page 862 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #8611 of 9463 Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 PM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@Falkentyne

Here, I took some shots from my monitor and some of my old.
http://imgur.com/a/vbo4o

Keep in mind, the pictures are obviously overexposed. But still, the BLB is much less on the new screen.
Also, the uniformity picture of the first one is better on the picture than in reallife - It was not that super white.
But you can see, the uniformity on the new one is not as good as on the old one.
And as I said, there are no dead pixels or dust on the new screen - Thats a huge plus.

I think I can deal with the uniformity, I mean its a gaming screen. Even more expensive monitors which are not made for gaming can have uniformity issues.
I mean, its pointless to make another RMA because of the uniformity. The chances to get a PG279Q without dead pixels, dust and uniformity issues is probably <1%

So what do you guys think about my monitor?
On a white page its visible that, the upper 1/3 is more brownish/yellowish or just warmer than the rest of the monitor.
But ingame, I don't think it makes a huge difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 9463 Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Programmer

Liked: 12
If it were possible to take a camera shot with the same sensor as you, or at least comparable, I would.

What brightness setting is that done with? The panel can get closest to perfect color accuracy at around quarter brightness... I take it from that up to 60ish if I really need it, it gets very bright

post #8613 of 9463 Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 25
@addicTix

When you say the panel is not uniform on a white screen, are you looking at it with your eyes even with the middle of the screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8614 of 9463 Old 08-14-2016, 10:54 AM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoxy View Post

@addicTix

When you say the panel is not uniform on a white screen, are you looking at it with your eyes even with the middle of the screen?

What do you mean?
I look on the top of the screen, and then in the middle for example, and I see that the top is more brownish/yellowish compared to the middle.
Thats how I see the difference of the uniformity.

Am I doing something wrong tongue.gif?
post #8615 of 9463 Old 08-14-2016, 08:03 PM

Liked: 57
I ordered one from newegg last week. I swear if it's going to look like .... I'm going to be quite upset. Do you a list of tests I should do to make sure the display is acceptable?

* x5675 * 3770k
* Asus Formula Rampage III x58 * MSI Z77 MPower
* Noctua NH-D14 * Noctua NH-D14
* Gigabyte GTX1070 mini itx * EVGA GTX 1060 SC
* 180GB Intel 530 * Samsung 830 256GB
* Corsair AX860i * Seasonic 650 Platinum
* Dell S2716DG Asus PG279Q
post #8616 of 9463 Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post

I ordered one from newegg last week. I swear if it's going to look like .... I'm going to be quite upset. Do you a list of tests I should do to make sure the display is acceptable?

Black screen to check for bleed. White screen to check for dead pixels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicTix View Post

What do you mean?
I look on the top of the screen, and then in the middle for example, and I see that the top is more brownish/yellowish compared to the middle.
Thats how I see the difference of the uniformity.

Am I doing something wrong tongue.gif?

This is an IPS display with anti-glare coating. The uniformity will depend on your viewing angle and position to the screen.

I mean, you should look at the display like this:

Same goes for when you check bleed.

If you look at a downward angle, with your eyes above the center of the display, you will see bottom half is slightly brownish/yellowish. If you look straight on, or at an upward angle, the top half will appear that way. This is normal.
post #8617 of 9463 Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoxy View Post

Black screen to check for bleed. White screen to check for dead pixels.
This is an IPS display with anti-glare coating. The uniformity will depend on your viewing angle and position to the screen.

I mean, you should look at the display like this:

Same goes for when you check bleed.

If you look at a downward angle, with your eyes above the center of the display, you will see bottom half is slightly brownish/yellowish. If you look straight on, or at an upward angle, the top half will appear that way. This is normal.

No, what you're referring to is the viewing angles. These panels are notorious for awful uniformity (as in, a panel defect, like backlight bleed) no matter the angle you view them from. LCD panels in general never have perfect uniformity but these are much worse than... basically everything.
post #8618 of 9463 Old 08-15-2016, 08:37 AM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pereb View Post

No, what you're referring to is the viewing angles. These panels are notorious for awful uniformity (as in, a panel defect, like backlight bleed) no matter the angle you view them from. LCD panels in general never have perfect uniformity but these are much worse than... basically everything.

And what'd you say to my uniformity?
http://imgur.com/a/vbo4o

I mean, I don't think its a "defect". A dead pixel is a defect. Yellow BLB might be a defect compared to silver BLB. But I think uniformity is just worse compared to other monitors, but not defect.
But I might be wrong, thats just what I think.
As you said, Normal consumer monitors have almost never a perfect uniformity. And the PG279Q might be worse compared to normal monitors in uniformity aspects.
But I don't know if I should return that monitor.. It has no dead pixels, no dust, BLB is greatly reducded compared to my first one (also its not yellow in the right bottom corner etc. its more silver - the pictures are overexposed so they look much worse than they look in reallife but still, you can see that the new panel has much less BLB which is even less visible in reallife)

The chances to get a monitor with dead pixels, dust or one with much more BLB are pretty high so I think it would be stupid to RMA that monitor.
post #8619 of 9463 Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 AM
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pereb View Post

No, what I'm referring to is the tint change on a white screen, which is what he was describing. Try it yourself. The uniformity on this panel is pretty consistently the same in most cases, similar to what TFT central reported in their review; dakrer on the top, but generally uniform in the bottom and central portions.

@addicTix, the only potential bleed I see in your new monitor is in the top right corner. The rest of that is IPS glow, which is normal. As far as uniformity, the pickiness from people here regarding this kills me. Do you notice it in daily use? Does it affect anything you do? Yes? Buy a different monitor. No? Keep it and forget about it.
post #8620 of 9463 Old 08-15-2016, 03:33 PM

I've just received my second display in a week and both still have the issue with the yellowish tint on the top 40% of the screen. For games its not that bad but for photo editing and web/logo design it is basically unacceptable. Even more because its a premium product with a premium price. However, my question is; should I replace it with another sample and try again or is ASUS simple ignoring this and won't fix it?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page