[Official] ASUS RoG Swift PG348Q Owners Club - Page 20 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #191 of 3579 Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24

Yes, every sample is affected by scanlines if we take for true this explanation given for the X34 which uses basically the same panel (be it an older revision or not):

Quote:
 "scan lines are an effect caused by rapidly changing refresh rate. Variations in the refresh rate create an increased holding time that results in the accumulation of an electrical charge. When this charge is released, it causes small variations in the frame that result in faint horizontal lines."

I don't see why they would have to lie about this. And some people reported it gets worse with time, I don't have any exact numbers though.

So the main question for me is "will it get much much worse in a few years?". Personally I wouldn't change this monitor at least for another ~5 years once I get it, and there is really no assurance (at least at this point) that it won't get worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 3579 Old 02-21-2016, 10:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by -terabyte- View Post

Yes, every sample is affected by scanlines if we take for true this explanation given for the X34 which uses basically the same panel (be it an older revision or not):

I don't see why they would have to lie about this. And some people reported it gets worse with time, I don't have any exact numbers though.

So the main question for me is "will it get much much worse in a few years?". Personally I wouldn't change this monitor at least for another ~5 years once I get it, and there is really no assurance (at least at this point) that it won't get worse.

The real question is why is this monitor effected and other g sync displays aren't.. and what electrical design elements can be changed to stop it.
post #193 of 3579 Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunknownkid View Post

Can the owners please report on what GPU setup you are running and what framerate you are getting with this Monitor?
I have a single 980ti, wondering if I'll have enough power to make the most out of this monitor?

Running 980 ti sli @1380 mhz. Supersmooth smile.gif
Though a single should be OK for most people. You can turn off AA if you like and not have that much jaggies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 12:58 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 8
Metros , where to find manufacture date ?
post #195 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

Yeah, the scanlines are way more noticeable in that Pendulum demo than any game, and I think they are already somewhat tough to see in that demo unless I put my face up to the screen on my X34.

I know that some people are really bothered by it, but to me, it is low on my list of concerns considering all the other defects today's displays can suffer from. I'd take the scanlines any day over poor uniformity, pixel inversion, etc

OK, thanks, I see what you mean.
Honestly, I reported that I do not have scan lines as I originally did not really notice those.
At my normal viewing distance of about 60 cm for me barely noticeable. I guess it's a question of eyesight and knowing what to look for.
Let's hope this does not get worse over time. I'm surely planning to keep this for few years.

tranceholic, the manufacturing date is on the little white sticker together with serial number in the back by the inputs.
post #196 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 AM

Liked: 2
two questions for your other owner's out there:

the red ROG projection light (Light in motion) doesn't turn on when the monitor comes out of sleep or is turned on by my master-slave electrical socket.
If I go into the settings it is still active, but no light. Turning it on and off again in the settings turns it on, but it just happens again as soon as i shut down/go to sleep.
Anyone else have this?

Also, has anyone tested out the overdrive (OD) function?
So far I haven't seen any difference except that on extreme I sometimes have slight ripples/tearing (but could have been some other issue in the game, not sure yet)

edit: for the list my manu'ftd date is Jan 2016
post #197 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 03:17 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metros View Post

Backlight bleed/IPS glow, almost impossible to notice it even when in a dark room, brightness is at 80 percent

dude, you have to take a pic in a dark room. ofc you can't seem much BLB like that.
muSPK likes this.
post #198 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 AM

Liked: 8
Anyone interested, Scan UK are currently showing the PG348Q as IN STOCK!!! :-)

post #199 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 04:13 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSPro View Post

What I find silly about this scanlines thing is its really only noticeable at super slow FPS with Gsync on. Sure you can get them to come up in the pendulum demo or if you cap a game at a low FPS, but how often does that happen? It's not necessarily a flaw with the display, it's just a very specific set of parameters where you can replicate scanlines.

Is 50-60 really low FPS to you? I can see scanlines watching to the sky in Witcher 3 at 60-65 and sitting a 2fts from the screen.
I understand it's a matter of personal taste but to me, it's even more annoying than 2-3 dead pixels since less noticeable than scanlines wink.gif

Also, it seems all panels are not affected with the same strenght, that explains why some users report no seeing them.
The most important question is how scanlines get worse with time as Asus stated that they will not consider any defect reported when display is overclocked.
post #200 of 3579 Old 02-22-2016, 04:32 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceholic View Post

Cheers guys.

from owner to owners , what is your favorite preset for desktop use and color accuracy ? personally I find the movie/cinema as the best for everything.

I go against the current and like my picture bright and colors to pop so I'm using standard mode and backlight at 12 smile.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page