Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 321 Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevenannt View Post

I now own a Acer XB241H and the only thing I am having issue with is 180hz overclock. When I enable it the colors are washed out. I may call support to determine the issue. At 144hz with G-sync enabled it is a awesome looking display. The only negative I can think of is the OSD menu is terrible to navigate.

Do you know the input lag for this monitor? I would like to know before I buy it, I hope it is under 6ms input lag at 144hz and under 10 when at 60hz. I am also gonna use this monitor for console gaming. If I do buy it then I am gonna get the 27 inch version which should have the same input lag. I can't find tests for the 24 inch version anywhere and especially not the 27 inch version which is a rare one to find, it seems to be only available in Europe right now.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer-predator-xb271hbmiprz-27-1920x1080-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-110-ac.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 321 Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:

I turned of Adaptive Contrast because it did wash out the colors running at 180hz overclocked refresh rate. (see refresh rate in corner of screen) This is not a IPS panel of course but I knew that and I was using this for gaming first and foremost.

My android camera is kinda crappy. I wish I had a Galaxy S7. tongue.gif

It looks good enough but this guy was saying a lot of bad things about this monitor, what do you think about the things he said here?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1595709/acer-predator-xb241h/10
post #13 of 321 Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:

I am successfully running it now with 180hz with good colors and minor blacklight bleed, which is to be expected on fast TN displays. I have no dead pixels. So far this is the best gaming monitor I have owned. The g-sync is fantastic and the 180hz is just icing on the cake since 120-144hz is plenty enough.

Should anyone find a good ICC profile let me know. I can also list my settings I use if anyone wants. Good Luck and have fun.

Don't wanna share your insight on this? Fine, I am not buying this monitor anyway, I found a much better one. It has higher contrast and much lower input lag plus it is 27 inches.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-272g5dyeb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 321 Old 07-05-2016, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Just want to post this for archival reasons, the XB241H I got had extremely bad backlight uniformity, there was a lot of backlight in the bottom right corner and hardly any in the top left corner. Pics:

Notice how the grids to the top are not visible.

I have it currently at Acer RMA. I will report on what happens.

Also, I want to add that that I had signal interruptions when 1080p 180Hz was set in Windows using this cable, I have now bought a Lindy Cromo 5m cable, but could of course not test it yet because I do not have the monitor.

Edit: Would also like to mention that for whatever reason, the cheap cable did work when I was using it for UHD 4K 60Hz without it having problems on another monitor (iiyama Prolite X4071UHSU-B1), which, at least data rate-wise, would be the equivalent of FHD 240Hz, so actually a third more data rate than FHD 180Hz. The only thing different at the time was that I was using a Fury X, for the XB241H I am using a 1080. Worse DisplayPort ports on Nvidia? lol
post #15 of 321 Old 07-05-2016, 11:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I noticed that too on all 3 XB241Hs i had the bottom right corner had pretty bad backlight leakage. It got better with some time, but still was noticeable. Not sure whats up there.

post #16 of 321 Old 07-11-2016, 03:17 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Lights View Post

Just want to post this for archival reasons, the XB241H I got had extremely bad backlight uniformity, there was a lot of backlight in the bottom right corner and hardly any in the top left corner. Pics:

Notice how the grids to the top are not visible.

I have it currently at Acer RMA. I will report on what happens.

Also, I want to add that that I had signal interruptions when 1080p 180Hz was set in Windows using this cable, I have now bought a Lindy Cromo 5m cable, but could of course not test it yet because I do not have the monitor.

Edit: Would also like to mention that for whatever reason, the cheap cable did work when I was using it for UHD 4K 60Hz without it having problems on another monitor (iiyama Prolite X4071UHSU-B1), which, at least data rate-wise, would be the equivalent of FHD 240Hz, so actually a third more data rate than FHD 180Hz. The only thing different at the time was that I was using a Fury X, for the XB241H I am using a 1080. Worse DisplayPort ports on Nvidia? lol

Were you getting those backlight problems when running it at 180hz? I just read a German hands on of the Asus PG248Q which supposedly uses the same panel, and I noticed that the backlight bleed gets quite bad at 180hz, but it's quite good at 144hz and actually superb at 60hz.

60hz:

144hz:

180hz:

You can clearly see that it's getting worse by increasing the refresh rate (no **** Sherlock). But IMO it looks more than acceptable in 144hz mode.

Link to the test: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/tft-monitore/asus-rog-swift-pg248q/test/asus_rog_swift_pg248q,1006,3275351,2.html
post #17 of 321 Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvons View Post

Were you getting those backlight problems when running it at 180hz? I just read a German hands on of the Asus PG248Q which supposedly uses the same panel, and I noticed that the backlight bleed gets quite bad at 180hz, but it's quite good at 144hz and actually superb at 60hz.

60hz:

144hz:

180hz:

You can clearly see that it's getting worse by increasing the refresh rate (no **** Sherlock). But IMO it looks more than acceptable in 144hz mode.

Link to the test: http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/tft-monitore/asus-rog-swift-pg248q/test/asus_rog_swift_pg248q,1006,3275351,2.html

Holy crap! So counting in what Malinkadink wrote, I am assuming the bottom right corner backlight issue is a general production error.

Well, I never ran it at lower frequencies (at least not while checking on the backlight) so I could not say.

Also, as an update, I received the display from RMA today, but they did not repair it, there was a repair report included in the package that said that non-perfect backlight uniformity was a common production error that was not covered by warranty. I think they did not understand what exactly the issue with my XB241H was, because all I had told them was that there was bad backlight uniformity, but I had not illustrated how bad it really was.
I then contacted them again and also sent pictures, I also called someone from Acer tech support who, looking at the pictures, told me that if the backlight uniformity is so extremely bad that that would have to be repaired and he then created a new RMA ticket for me. So, I will send the monitor back to the Acer repair center tomorrow.

The better 5m cable did work at with FHD 180Hz without problems.

Also, a question to anyone who knows about monitor repair: If the Acer XB241H was to actually be repaired and not exchanged, would the panel-part be exchanged? Does the panel-part also include the backlight?
post #18 of 321 Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Lights View Post

Holy crap! So counting in what Malinkadink wrote, I am assuming the bottom right corner backlight issue is a general production error.

Well, I never ran it at lower frequencies (at least not while checking on the backlight) so I could not say.

Also, as an update, I received the display from RMA today, but they did not repair it, there was a repair report included in the package that said that non-perfect backlight uniformity was a common production error that was not covered by warranty. I think they did not understand what exactly the issue with my XB241H was, because all I had told them was that there was bad backlight uniformity, but I had not illustrated how bad it really was.
I then contacted them again and also sent pictures, I also called someone from Acer tech support who, looking at the pictures, told me that if the backlight uniformity is so extremely bad that that would have to be repaired and he then created a new RMA ticket for me. So, I will send the monitor back to the Acer repair center tomorrow.

The better 5m cable did work at with FHD 180Hz without problems.

Also, a question to anyone who knows about monitor repair: If the Acer XB241H was to actually be repaired and not exchanged, would the panel-part be exchanged? Does the panel-part also include the backlight?

I think the backlight issue is only present at 180hz. Seems that way from all the pictures I've seen at least. As I'm gonna be using this at 144hz, I won't really mind. But update the post and tell us how the repair went
post #19 of 321 Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvons View Post

I think the backlight issue is only present at 180hz. Seems that way from all the pictures I've seen at least. As I'm gonna be using this at 144hz, I won't really mind. But update the post and tell us how the repair went

I got a call today telling me that the Acer technician could not find the problem I described. Then I thought about it a bit and I think the problem is that when the technician tests the monitor, he does not do so at 180Hz! They gave me an email address that I should write to (I assume this is for direct communication with the techincian), to which I wrote about the 180Hz and also attached the Word document I had sent to RMA before. I hope they even have the right graphics card to run the monitor at 180Hz, lol.
post #20 of 321 Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I have a broken XB240H that i'll be repairing later this week. It uses the same panel as the XB241H but the monitor only does 144hz (note that the panel is natively 120hz and its OCed to 144hz from the factory, meaning you're already pushing the thing before you even set it to 180hz).

That said, I'm ordering a banged up VG248QE and will use its panel since its the same one. Being that its an older VG248QE i think i will be able to also remove its matte coating and have a nice glossy 144hz gsync monitor. Trying to take the coating off was what wrecked my XB240Hs panel in the first place as it was not possible with the newer way they were adhering the matte coating to the polarizer.

Now when i had an XB241H, i did test it at 180hz but i never did really make any connection to the backlight uniformity getting worse at the higher range. I did make a note of how the contrast ratio fell a couple hundred points when OCed, and when we're talking about a sub par TN to begin with its just not worth it to run it at 180hz. I personally cannot tell the difference between 180 and 144, and with gsync thrown into the mix 180hz becomes even more useless. I wont be hitting frames high enough in most titles i play to get the "benefit" of 180hz, so if i ran it at 180hz i'd just be getting crappier picture for no reason rolleyes.gif

I say for any owners of monitors that can OC past 144hz, dont bother. If you're really into speed wait for the native 240hz monitor coming later this year from Asus, though again, not sure what games will get the benefit of 240hz, besides some light games like CSGO.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page