1Likes

post #251 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavid View Post

So I stayed up pretty late last night trying different games on the monitor. I tried Battlefield 4, CoD WWII, and Black Ops 2.

Here's some impressions:

Pros:
  1. Contrast ratio difference is immense
  2. Anti-glare coating is unobtrusive.
  3. No backlight bleed.
  4. Extra size is nice.

Cons:
  1. Less motion clarity than the 144hz/165hz AHVA panels.
  2. Softer than 1440p at 27", but mitigated with pushing it back further.
  3. Some coloring shifting on edges, mitigated with pushing it back further.

Barring the discovery of dirt under the screen, or an annoying visual artifact I haven't yet discovered, I'll be keeping this.

Disclaimer: My favorite LCD monitor I'd previously used was a Soyo 24" VA from 2007. I didn't have issues with blur/ghosting on that, so I might be less sensitive to this kind of thing. I also didn't really care about tearing and aliasing until a few years ago; I've become a spoiled princess in my old age.

Great / honest review. thumb.gif I think it would be a nice upgrade from my current 32" 1080p@60 (o/c to 75Hz) IPS monitor tongue.gif

Please post some pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 AM

Liked: 0
Decision was made going with the LG over the Alienware 34". Ordered my new monitor today going to be quite a jump for me in the realm of screens. Every where I posted the question what should I get the LG or AW. Pretty much everyone said I should go with the AW but I have waited so long for an upgrade and I am just really unsure on all the ultrawide hype. This thread has really helped me a ton I have spent so much time researching basically every monitor on the market and that is currently known to be coming out this upcoming year.

Most people seem to think the AW 34" ultrawide with ips is just the best but this thread really made me look at it differently. I spent a lot of time looking at a lot of 27" screens right around the same price as this LG with ips panels and just have not really read anything to mind blowing to point me in that direction also I really want to experience the higher HZ of the new monitors of today. I guess to everyone else the question of LG vs AW was a no brainier but didn't seem so to me glad for the help from other people with more knowledge and experiencing.

With all this research and time spent and probably a year waiting to find the right monitor fingers crossed I got what will be best for me.
post #253 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 AM
333mhz

The Alienware for $899 -- where it's been priced at recently -- is a much better deal higher res, larger, 3-year warranty. Downsides are the contrast ratio, uniformity, bleed. I almost bought the Alienware a couple times, but I can notice the extra fluidity at 144hz vs 120hz. 3440x1440 is difficult to push at max refresh -- even on my 1080ti and making ultrawide work in older games can often be done, but it's more work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM

I literally have both the Alienware and the LG in my office, and I'm going to pick one of them. The Alienware has a flat out obnoxious amount of IPS glow, like, worse than I've seen on other IPS panels by Dell. The BLB in the lower left and right corners is also a bummer. But I'm going to do some back and forth comparisons this weekend. Thus far, I like the LG.
post #255 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 1
Quote:

The Alienware for $899 -- where it's been priced at recently -- is a much better deal higher res, larger, 3-year warranty. Downsides are the contrast ratio, uniformity, bleed. I almost bought the Alienware a couple times, but I can notice the extra fluidity at 144hz vs 120hz. 3440x1440 is difficult to push at max refresh -- even on my 1080ti and making ultrawide work in older games can often be done, but it's more work.

You're not running your LG @ 165hz? There's supposedly no downsides to running it on 165hz vs 144hz. Personally for me, the more the better smile.gif
post #256 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:

When has it been $899 people keep stating this but either I have missed the sales or not looking in the right places.
post #257 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 38
I do have to say at the price and from LG of all people it is disappointing this monitor isn't at all calibrated.
Samsung does it on their monitors even the ones under $300.

But hey at least LG does overdrive right
Also when is this supposed to release anywhere in Canada?
post #258 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGlory View Post

When has it been $899 people keep stating this but either I have missed the sales or not looking in the right places.

The Alienware was $899.99 from Newegg via eBay last week

post #259 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunched View Post

I do have to say at the price and from LG of all people it is disappointing this monitor isn't at all calibrated.
Samsung does it on their monitors even the ones under $300.

But hey at least LG does overdrive right
Also when is this supposed to release anywhere in Canada?

Today I sent another email to LG Canada (cough cough). The last 2 times I got the usual... "we are sorry, but we don't know" BS.. rolleyes.gif At least Euro know it is March 2018 for them (from LG UK guy).
I don't understand why a) LG Canada won't tell us, b) newegg.com won't ship it from US to Canada (I guess because LG Canada doesn't carry this model)... Like my new 8700k ordered from newegg.ca came from California warehouse. I wish I had close US friends or some family leaving there redface.gif

Perhaps try to engage a live chat with them, maybe some LG CR have the knowledge of LG's release plans, I'm sure they have dates.
post #260 of 676 Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM
PC Gamer

Anyone else with the monitor notice faint vertical lines (scan lines maybe, I'm not sure) on their screen? It's stands out mostly on a bright background and I have to be sitting fairly close, around 2 feet. I tried a couple different displayport cables with no difference. Since I have to return it for the dust anyway I was hoping it's just a defect with mine.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page