post #11 of 16 Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Gunga Lagunga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Safe mode should set it to 60hz automaticaly (and 800x600).

When going into safe, try running the VGA selection (should be in the middle?). Or is this the screen that is blacking out?

Or boot up on the other monitor, select this and then plug it into the TV.
I can't see the screen I make the selection on. I also tried to adjust to other resolutions, and all I have available right now is 800x600 and 1024x768. I am not sure if those options are being set by the TV when I hook up to that and boot or what. I have another PC here with a newer chipset I might try. I am almost ready to brin in my own PC. This is ridiculous.

Well, I just updated the driver and no luck. Once it tried to display anything besides the compaq logo or the XP start screen, I get no signal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 03-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Liked: 127
I don't know if this is obvious or not but with my integrated I have to go in video options and specify that I have it connected to an LCD TV so check your settings to see if there is anything similar.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Gunga Lagunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhen View Post
I don't know if this is obvious or not but with my integrated I have to go in video options and specify that I have it connected to an LCD TV so check your settings to see if there is anything similar.
Where is this option? I don't see it in the display settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Liked: 127
I had intel integrated so it was under intel graphic options not windows.

post #15 of 16 Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Gunga Lagunga

Well, I tried a different PC and still the same. I am wondering if it is the TV. Even though the on-board is poor, it should still display, right? I mean, even though the screen is bigger, the resolution is the same.

post #16 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Well, I tried a different PC and still the same. I am wondering if it is the TV. Even though the on-board is poor, it should still display, right? I mean, even though the screen is bigger, the resolution is the same.
I have the same problem as yours and has been struggling for about a week.I'm using this for my HTPC.

Here's my specs and findings:
AMD 1800+
ASUS NF2 mobo
Windows XP MCE 2005
768MB RAM
AGP Geforce 6200 with HDTV support.
Latest Nvidia drivers (169.21 if i'm not wrong).

LCD=Sharp Aquos LC32A53M (this model is probably applicable in South East Asia, but should works for similar specs). It support both 1024 x 768 and 1360 x 768 as specified in the user manual.

Testing/Results:
(1) Initially used components input, works fine for both 1080i and 720p mode except it overscan, needs to reduce the resoultion a bit using the Nvidia control panel by reducing the desktop size to put the whole desktop within the viewable area. The major problem is playing videos, DVD etc, the quality is HORRIBLE...even worst than my standalone DVD player. Artifacts and dithering all over the place which is not seen on my PC monitor or my SONY CRT (previously using my HTPC with a SONY CRT HDTV).

(2) Test with VGA to VGA. Use the VGA port of my Geforce 6200 to the LCD VGA port. It only works in Safe/VGA mode. It won't work even after i set the resolution to 800 x 600 (60hz) on my PC and shift it back to the LCD. It'll show the BIOS boot up, Windows XP logo boot up and after that "Incompatible Signal" on a black screen.

(3) Fiddle with the Nvidia - no go. Install PowerStrip - no go either.

(4) Test with my laptop to the LCD TV. After pressing the "Function key" together with the F5 or F6 key to switch between the primary/secondary display, it was successful, so it gives me the following idea:
Does it has something to do with Secondary output since the primary won't work? Since the GPU is able to output to both analogue(VGA) and digital (DVI), what if i use the second port instead?

(5) Since there's no DVI on my LCD, i'll need a DVI to VGA converter. Check my 6200 box and voila, there's one converter nicely wrapped in plastic.
So i use the DVI port->DVI-VGA converter->LCD VGA. It was success on first boot!!!! My LCD TV also present the option of selecting between 1024 x 768 and 1360 x 768 in it's menu (previously never shown up). So i select 1360 x768 on the LCD TV and set my resolution to 1360 x 768 in the Nvidia control panel (Note: it's 1360, not 1366, just slide the bar slowly and u should get it).
So, my mission is a success. Perfect 1:1 pixel mapping!!!!!

The advantages of VGA vs component:
(1) Perfect 1:1 pixel mapping! Make full use of LCD resolution!
(2) Superior text over component. Component show some minor ghosting, although not too bad, it still there. And i use reasonably good quality component cables too.
(3) Much improved video with lesser artifacts!!!
(4) Overall superior PQ.

But i still think my Samsung HT box looks better in DVD via HDMI. Still, i just fix it last night, colour is a bit bland, i guess need some tweaking on the LCD to get the colours right.

Hope all this helps.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page