[UK] About to pull the trigger on this router. Advice please? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I rarely hang out on this side of OCN, so I'll begin my post as usual, painting the scene.

Just moved into a student housing with two other people. House has 3 floors, bottom floor is redundant. Current wireless router is a TP-Link TD-8901G at 54Mbps. All capable and has enough signal and speed and all, and I can even hit 60 ping in games with another TP LINK USB adaptor. But the signal keeps dropping and rendering it... useless, more than enough times. That's why I'm looking to replace it.

Download speed and ping seems to go well so far, (I hit about 1.0 MB/s the other night, and as mention ping are usually ok) even under that "54 Mbps". I know that's more than I need anyway, I know I'm not hitting 54 Mbps blah blah.

The new router needs to be ADSL2 capable (I'm all new to this. Sigh.), as well as being able to reach the 2 floors with no trouble or significant signal drop at distance. Budget is around £50 as I'm paying out my own wallet *cough studentloan cough* for it. Also, really wish the ping/speed wouldn't drop if others are using the connection, provided that the internet connection can take it. (I think I've proven that it can.) Meaning, I don't want the router to be the bottleneck when there is more than one user connected.

I've been looking at this TP-Link TD-W8970. Would it suffice/ do all I want it to? No, I do not care for its USB storage sharing. Solely wanting a new router to replace the old one to connect to the wall internet connection by TalkTalk.

Any advice guys? Compatible? Anything I should look out for? Are there better alternative? Or would this just do? I would love to Ethnet my rig into this thing but alas my door would clip the cable and there's a radiator (not a computer one) in the way of said wall.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance my fellow OCNers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 295
Unfortunately, wireless is iffy. You can buy the most expensive consumer router available and you still might not have whole house coverage. Only way for guaranteed coverage is to go wired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the contribution. But even if I can get wired, others can't on a different floor, less so with our smartphones and tablet...

Maybe what I'm asking is, is the router I linked a decent one that does great for its price? Since the current one does not support Wireless N and is "capped" at 54mbps, is what I'm looking at the right upgrade?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Tiny little bump to see if there are owners on OCN.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 134
I own this TP-Link router flashed with DD-WRT and its a solid rock. It has a faster CPU and a ton of RAM in comparison to typical routers. I use it for quite a bit of stuff too... VPN, QoS, WiFi bridging, etc. With DD-WRT this thing is like a $300 SoHo firewall.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you are looking at combo router/modem devices. In my experience it's always better to get a separate device for each task (modem & router) I think others will agree with this too. So my final suggestion is to get a modem and then a DD-WRT capable router.
neo0031 likes this.

Official Delidded Crewman
The Ivy STABLE Club
Nvida GTX960 Owners Club
Raspberry Pi Owners Club
I <3 Mechanical KeyboardCPU Journey (Click to show)
Celeron 333MHz > Pentium 4 2.4GHz > Athlon XP 2800+ > Athlon 64 3400+ > Athlon II X2 250 > Athlon II X4 640 > Phenom II X4 840 > i5 2500K > i7 3770K
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Most of those features I won't use probably, but thanks!

I'm guessing no dropped signals and appear with star on the Windows 7 Wifi notification icon?

Side note, is there a way to distinguish that the problem lies with the router and not the internet connection or WiFi adaptors. (Although various devices have pretty much eliminated the latter.)

Oh yeah I need ADSL/ADSL2/+, I'm guessing it means phone line. This is all too new to meh. tongue.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo0031 View Post

Most of those features I won't use probably, but thanks!

I'm guessing no dropped signals and appear with star on the Windows 7 Wifi notification icon?

Side note, is there a way to distinguish that the problem lies with the router and not the internet connection or WiFi adaptors. (Although various devices have pretty much eliminated the latter.)

Oh yeah I need ADSL/ADSL2/+, I'm guessing it means phone line. This is all too new to meh. tongue.gif

Yes, ADSL (aka DSL) uses phone lines and isn't the best internet service for multiple users. Not sure what it's like in the UK. It's typically so-so download speeds and god awful upload rates which really starts to hurt with multiple people online. Go with cable or fiber if you can and pay the difference in cost. If you are stuck with it, get the best plan they offer. You'll need it.

As for the WiFi issues. Like the person above said. WiFi is a tricky area. It's really hard to tell what might be causing you high latency. It might be a cheapo router, it could be poor signal/poor wall penetration, too many people using wifi at the same time, or just crappy DSL. However, upgrading from wireless G (54mbs) to a good wireless N (300+ mbs) router will greatly improve the house's wifi experience.
neo0031 likes this.

Official Delidded Crewman
The Ivy STABLE Club
Nvida GTX960 Owners Club
Raspberry Pi Owners Club
I <3 Mechanical KeyboardCPU Journey (Click to show)
Celeron 333MHz > Pentium 4 2.4GHz > Athlon XP 2800+ > Athlon 64 3400+ > Athlon II X2 250 > Athlon II X4 640 > Phenom II X4 840 > i5 2500K > i7 3770K
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjr1105 View Post

Yes, ADSL (aka DSL) uses phone lines and isn't the best internet service for multiple users. Not sure what it's like in the UK. It's typically so-so download speeds and god awful upload rates which really starts to hurt with multiple people online. Go with cable or fiber if you can and pay the difference in cost. If you are stuck with it, get the best plan they offer. You'll need it.

As for the WiFi issues. Like the person above said. WiFi is a tricky area. It's really hard to tell what might be causing you high latency. It might be a cheapo router, it could be poor signal/poor wall penetration, too many people using wifi at the same time, or just crappy DSL. However, upgrading from wireless G (54mbs) to a good wireless N (300+ mbs) router will greatly improve the house's wifi experience.

What I needed to hear, thanks! thumb.gif

As for the ISP, we are not able to change provider nor the plan. Stuck stuck. All inclusive with the rent price. Oh sigh.

Speed really is ok. I spent 3 years using a 3G dongle on my laptop limited to 15GB a month. With this connection when it didn't cut off, I have hit more than enough upload speed and 1.0 MB/s download speed. I'll attach a picture for when I did SpeedTest Day One. (With this 54Mbps old router IIRC.)

If only there was a way to find out what data plan (hence knowing data usage cap) we're on without contacting the landlord/agent. :/

So I'm guessing I'm dropping £50 on the TP Link W8970 then. Well, as soon as I part with one whole grand for rent...........

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page