Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dont ask why...
Will it harm plugging a router with a power adapter which is 12v 1A instead of its original 12v 0.5A?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6212

It might. That's a difference of 6W (12 x 1 vs. 12 x 0.5). I'm not sure, but I think that it will try to feed it 12W instead of the 6W of the original.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 893
Nah. Voltage is the one you want to watch for. Devices will pull whatever amount of current that they will. If there's not enough then it won't work, but if the pool is at least large enough then the adapter will be able to provide the amount of power the device needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 34
Had to do this on my linksys wrt54g using a wallwart for an ISP westell dsl modem. Voltage was the same but the amps were .5 off IIRC. Been working fine for over a year now.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Multi-Quote King

Liked: 845
The amp rating is only the "maximum" that your particular adapter can handle (without the voltage dropping - but that's a different story.)

It doesn't matter which adapter you use; your device (router) is going to "demand" the same amount of current (amps) from any adapter that's rated at 12V. It doesn't matter if you have a 12V @100A power adapter. That would just mean that the adapter *could* supply 100A if it had to, but your router is never going to do that, obviously.

A bigger concern would be if the amperage rating were too low. In that case, your voltage would drop below 12V, and your device would not work.

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Windows Wrangler

Liked: 340
    beers and The Hundred Gunner have their electronics right (for a power supply, output voltage must match, current is fine as long as it is equal or higher than the original).

Let me add one thing though: Not all power adapters have the same polarity, even if the output plug is the correct size.  Most DC powered devices and most DC power adapters have a symbol somewhere that shows whether + is in the center (tip) and – is on the outside (ring), or vice versa.  If the adapter's polarity is wrong, something will probably blow as soon as you connect it to the wall and to the device.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Multi-Quote King

Liked: 845
And make sure if the original was DC, that your new one is also DC. There are AC power adapters that are rated at 12V, so just make sure you're using the same thing.
Techie007 likes this.

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page