"Limited or no connectivity" to my router - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 124
....i've never seen a router w/ 48 ports. what you have there is a switch, which won't do any NAT or anything for you...

switches don't assign IP addresses and cheaper switches don't even have an IP address assigned to it. Go to your local electronics shop and buy a cheap DLink router for around 20 bucks. i've had my router since 2002 and it still works like a dream.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
3.0ghz

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd View Post
....i've never seen a router w/ 48 ports. what you have there is a switch, which won't do any NAT or anything for you...

switches don't assign IP addresses and cheaper switches don't even have an IP address assigned to it. Go to your local electronics shop and buy a cheap DLink router for around 20 bucks. i've had my router since 2002 and it still works like a dream.
huh. I know it can do it though... I used this same router/switch/whatever all through college and it worked fine distributing the internet and connecting our home network. It's just so weird right now... it's like my main rig just REFUSES to talk with it. My secondary rig will hook up just fine, like normal. I tried assigning the IP manually as suggested here, and now both computers say they are connected, yet when I check on the workgroup, only the machine that I'm using will appear. I still think this is because my main rig refuses to talk to the router.

Interesting too... the main rig has 2 ethernet connections; one on a PCI card and another direct on the motherboard. And it seems like only one will work at a time. I have the mobo connected direct to my cable modem and the two work great. When I enable the PCI one which is connected to router, then the internet dies and (presumably) the mobo ethernet stops working. ... huh???

Any ideas why my main rig refuses to see the router/switch? And why can't both ethernet connections run simultaneously?

Pretty pictures: HR-03 heatsink mod - Scythe Mugen 2 cheers.gifnerdsmiley.pngprinter.png: post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif
post #13 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
CarForum.net

Liked: 600
Drivers for the pci card, replace them. Have you also tried different ports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
catmmm: my rack would love to play with your rack...
lhowatt: does it fit well on your desk?
catmmm: lhowatt: yeah it fits
catmmm: lhowatt: I kinda have a big desk though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
If the switch connects through a router, you might not have any problems.
Try removing the other computers from it, and see if your own can connect. If it can, you're probably out of IPs, or the router is, so you might go out and get a new router, or fix it somehow.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #15 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
3.0ghz

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekt View Post
Drivers for the pci card, replace them. Have you also tried different ports?
I did try different ports, and some different areas too... the ports are split into 4 groups, I've tried each. I don't think the problem is the PCI card drivers because I can switch the cables and have the modem connect to the PCI and the mobo to the router and I still can't connect to the router but the internet works fine. I'm pretty mystified by this one... I've unplugged and plugged in both the router and the modem a few times so that should reset all the IPs.... not sure what else to try....

Pretty pictures: HR-03 heatsink mod - Scythe Mugen 2 cheers.gifnerdsmiley.pngprinter.png: post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif
post #16 of 18 Old 11-12-2006, 09:50 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 106
Like they said, you should get a router. I've had cablemodem ever since it was new, I used to live in West Seattle, and we were one of the first test areas to get it. You used to be able to use a switch with no problems for quite a long time. But the last couple years I think they changed some things, and you may have a much harder time than the old days.

Your cablemodem will only receive one IP address. A router can take one IP and turn it into many IP's. A switch doesn't work that way, it's only a dumb switch. Your computers are conflicting with each other, both trying to use that one IP probably. You will probably have a hard time getting both computers to use the net simultaneously with that thing. It will work with one computer. Then you'll probably have to cycle power to the cablemodem, before you'll get the other to work. Only ONE will probably work at a time. The other option is, I believe you can pay a little monthly, for an extra IP address, then your switch would work. But I wouldn't do that, waste of money, a router will pay for itself in that case.

Personally, I'd quit screwing with it, and go with the answer you've been given multiple times, you need a router. Otherwise you're asking for alot of headache.

edit-- lol whoops didn't notice this was a week old, dude probably sorted it and bought a router

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #17 of 18 Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 194
Go to the IP address of your switch and set it up..it is diff for some...but some are 192.168.0.10 or try variations on the last two digits and see what you come up with...you WILL find your setup page and it will be easy greasy lol. hope this helps. And the variations would be .100 or .00 or .01 just try some..bet you have some goood luck haha.

echo "The `uname` Club"

The Windows 8 Protest Group

I use my simple mind to give simple answers to complex questions
- John Denham
post #18 of 18 Old 11-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Misogamist

Liked: 982
Make sure you have the same protocls installed (goto your lan connection and goto properties on your connection)

3770k@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/0lv27p
8350@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/rgh5nk
4670k@4.4 http://valid.x86.fr/swavhi
8310@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/3nxlhi
Asus G75vw http://valid.x86.fr/tdt7t7
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r go_quote.gif

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page