Different sharing levels Windows 7 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I currently have a home server running Windows 7, which acts as a NAS and a Media Box (using XBMC connected to my TV).

I have numerous shares, including ones for ripped media, music and backups. However I want it so that if you try and access some of the media, it gives you just plain read access, without asking for a username/password. But the backups (and a few other folders) require a login.

This will allow me to share my movies etc with throughout my house easily, but keep some of my data reasonably secure as we have lots of people coming in and out of the house.

Is there an easy way to do this in Windows7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super304 go_quote.gif
Surely you could purify the blood in someway or even distill it. It may not look like blood anymore but you'll now that some form of animal has died to help cool your PC. smile.gif Muahahaha!
Web Developer in Salisbury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM
I laugh at some of the wanted posts...

Liked: 1075
Add the user "Everyone" give it read access, sorted biggrin.gif, don't add it to the ones you want to have a username and password pop up.

Comps

Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhudson go_quote.gif
are you saying that a single core cpu cant run more than one process? because im positive i can run windows media player and google chrome at the same time on my amd sempron chip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull go_quote.gif
Mic jack? That'd be hotdog down hallway turf in this situation.

I suggest the manual release hole on the optical drive. Bonus points if you eject the tray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb go_quote.gif
Overclocking isn't buying the fastest just to be fast, it is buying the cheapest and making it fast!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

As in create a new user called everyone? I tried that, but it won't work without a password?

Quote:
Surely you could purify the blood in someway or even distill it. It may not look like blood anymore but you'll now that some form of animal has died to help cool your PC. smile.gif Muahahaha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I laugh at some of the wanted posts...

Liked: 1075
When you go into security you can add Everyone, this will allow everyone regardless of the machine on the network they are on to connect to that share. Then they can have read access to it. You might need to give them read and execute actually.

But when you've done this you'll be able to connect to those shatres without requiring a username and password.

Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhudson go_quote.gif
are you saying that a single core cpu cant run more than one process? because im positive i can run windows media player and google chrome at the same time on my amd sempron chip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull go_quote.gif
Mic jack? That'd be hotdog down hallway turf in this situation.

I suggest the manual release hole on the optical drive. Bonus points if you eject the tray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb go_quote.gif
Overclocking isn't buying the fastest just to be fast, it is buying the cheapest and making it fast!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

OK I have done that, now I can access my media ok. But my protected folders (only have permissions set on my user account on the server) give me a permission denied error?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page