ASUS RT-N66U router Slows down severely, have to Reset - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello all...

(EDIT problem solved for those doing a search)
(added TP-Link TL WDN4800 on 5ghz band all same other settings)

I just purchased the ASUS RT-N66U a few weeks ago and i'm ALREADY having problems with it !! ARGGG !!
I purchased this over the Netgear WNDR4500

It sends the majority of my cable-modems speed a floor away but a number of times a day i have
go into the routers address/settings and "Reboot" it.

This is absolutely unacceptable for a router like this.

This is infuriating considering what i payed for it and also that it is new.
I've had enough issues with D-link dir-655 extreme crap over the past few years to want to
fuss with something like this again.

- 1. i'm not going to change firmware to non-stock or tomato.
- i have latest firmware 3.0.0.4.260
- 2. the router is a floor above about 25 feet.
- 3. i'm getting about 16-20mbit peak hours about 25mbit off peak
(connection is about 32mbit)
Yes i know Up to down isn't great but its how i have it set up until i move.

I hope someone can give me some pointers.
I'm sick of dealing with hardware manufacturers/companies.
I hope i don't have to send it back for a replacement.
I'm picky and like consistency, although i know cable fluctuates, slowing down is really annoying.
I DID NOT get this connected to my providers Router.

Here are a few of the settings, i haven't changed much.

☼Frequency 2.5 (not 5 at the moment)
☼Wireless mode (auto)
☼Channel (auto)
☼bandwidth (20/40)
☼extension channel (auto)

☼Wpa2-personal
☼AES

► I"m using an old Belkin pci card i think fd7000
I'm sure this thing isn't the best but i don't think its the problem.

As of typing this i did a speed test and it dropped to 8mbit.
It was at about 18mbit before this !

Transform and Roll out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi!

Liked: 1249
Is this for internet access?
If so, who's the provider?

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif

Misinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong.

...and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Cash Me Ousside Howbow Dah

Liked: 386
I can't honestly say I've had an issue like this with mine. I had it about 9 months now with an average of 6 devices on WiFi at a time. Is it just your PC that has the issue? Can or have you tested with other devices to replicate the issue? Also is it getting hot? I have mine sitting on a USB laptop cooler and its always about room temp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 226
Your only going to get about 22-24 Mb tops, as the card in your PC is wireless G, not wireless N. Also with a floor between, it's gonna weaken the signal, and you'll get more interference from surrounding wireless signals.

There are things you can do to mitigate your problems...
Download Inssider, and use it to map out your surrounding signals channel usage. Then set the router channel to the least used channel, and the extension channel to the second least used (must be at least 3 channels away)

Try re-orientating the antennas so they are side on to each other - ie if your PC one points to the wall, set the router to point to the same wall.

The only other way to help involves spending money - get a wireless N card for the PC. Get high gain antennas for the PC and the router.

But I don't think you'll see more tan 24Mb over the wireless G connection. Oh on the router, if it has an option in the wireless for wirelessG only, try setting that too, it may help. Obviously set it back if you get a wireless N card for the PC.

smile.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yup ended up being my wireless card, it just couldn't keep up anymore. Had a D-link pci N / etc. card in a box. (Three antennas)
The card actually sucked with it's own d-link dir655(crap) so i thought it wasn't working right.
I'm getting almost full speeds now

I guess this router really does live up to the expectations. I just thought i got a dud, which has happened before.

Thanks everyone. Took a while to respond was super busy.thumb.gifthumb.gifbiggrin.gif

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092 View Post

I can't honestly say I've had an issue like this with mine. I had it about 9 months now with an average of 6 devices on WiFi at a time. Is it just your PC that has the issue? Can or have you tested with other devices to replicate the issue? Also is it getting hot? I have mine sitting on a USB laptop cooler and its always about room temp.

Well after hearing that, i decided to look for another adapter i had which caused me trouble so i boxed it up.
Popped in the D-link extreme pci adapter ( i hate even typing extreme, so corny)
and low and behold the connection is close to 30. Fluctuates a bit but allot more stable.
It was definitely the card and quite possibly that my house is old and the walls and wood are thicker.
Appreciated.

It's still losing some speed but the router is a floor above at the moment. Peek hours also affect it.
I just hate getting any drop in speed smile.gifsmile.gif
I'm guessing you get a little drop in speed from your full MBit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

Your only going to get about 22-24 Mb tops, as the card in your PC is wireless G, not wireless N. Also with a floor between, it's gonna weaken the signal, and you'll get more interference from surrounding wireless signals.

There are things you can do to mitigate your problems...
Download Inssider, and use it to map out your surrounding signals channel usage. Then set the router channel to the least used channel, and the extension channel to the second least used (must be at least 3 channels away)

Thanks, i wasn't aware of inSSIDer, thanks for the link. I'm going to be using it often now

smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Is this for internet access?
If so, who's the provider?

Time warner cable. I nagged them for almost 2 years to get my connection stable. So i was getting 30mbit before most in my area
i nagged so much ( before they offered 50 )

Transform and Roll out

post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 PM

Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post

Thanks, i wasn't aware of inSSIDer, thanks for the link. I'm going to be using it often now

Not a problem! Just for your info, there is also an android app called "Wifi Analyzer" that does a similar thing as InSSIDer, except on your phone. Its handy for checking different locations, as the phone's portable. Obviously your phone will need to have wifi capability built in, but I think most do nowadays. smile.gif

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mYXJwcm9jLndpZmkuYW5hbHl6ZXIiXQ..
OptimusPrime likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 PM

Liked: 11
I believe this router gets really hot, i have been waiting to see if i should get this or something else but it seems to be one of the best.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

Not a problem! Just for your info, there is also an android app called "Wifi Analyzer" that does a similar thing as InSSIDer, except on your phone. Its handy for checking different locations, as the phone's portable. Obviously your phone will need to have wifi capability built in, but I think most do nowadays. smile.gif

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mYXJwcm9jLndpZmkuYW5hbHl6ZXIiXQ..

Very nice ! I was testing it on the generic "speed test" on my Galaxy SIII. You learn something new every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiefofspades View Post

I believe this router gets really hot, i have been waiting to see if i should get this or something else but it seems to be one of the best.

I have my unit sitting by itself without anything cluttering it, it seems to be cool enough.

I bought a dual band pci-e wireless card and WOW i can't believe i thought my old card could handle the signal properly

I bought the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 and my connection on 5ghz gets FULL speed on wireless !

I'm very impressed by this router if you are on the fence. My connection at very best goes to 34mbit (rarealy)but usually 32mbit.
Between the card that can handle the 5ghz and speeds picks up 32mb and consistent.

Just did a few tests again and its hitting 30-33, very nice.thumb.gifcheers.gif

before i had
- Belkin F5D7000
- D-link extreme crap.. i mean extreme N DWA-522

Transform and Roll out

post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
I'm having this issue with my RT-N66U too. Googling shows a few others experiencing this.

Its worked great for the first month.

But, it seems to get, bunged up, it's extremely annoying and I don't recognise 5ghz as a solution, just a work around.

If it's been on for a long period of time, my speed test start to get results close too 3.84Mbps / 6.13 Mbps - and they will never go up once they are down, I thought maybe my ISP was slowing me down mad.gif but I've noticed consistently that if I tell the router to disconnect from the net and reconnect, I get the same speed, however if I tell the router to reboot I then get 36.33 Mbps / 8.35 Mpbs. This is true across all my devices running on 2.4ghz, including a quick test on an android phone - Granted, it doesn't manage to go up to 36.33, but when it's slow the phone is capped around 4Mbps, where as it seems to max out at around 12 Mbps.

....it just feels like the router is getting clogged up some how, and it's really annoying!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 128
There is always the Merlin Firmware
http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Provided is a review of it.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31963-asuswrt-merlin-reviewed

"The primary goals of this project are to fix bugs, add a few basic features and tweaks to the original firmware. This firmware will try to remain as close as possible to the original firmware. If you are looking for a slew of advanced features, then this project is not for you. Look at TomatoUSB or DD-WRT, two excellent products that might suit your needs better.
If however you prefer something as close as possible to the manufacturer's firmware, then this is for you."

Quote from the developer.

University of Ontario Institute of Technology 14' Networking and IT Security Graduate with Bachelor of Information Technology (Hons.)Warning: Quotes and Clubs (Click to show)
We Are Gr33n Machine
Windows 7 Fan Club
Canadian OCN Club
95.567% of people make up the stats in their sig. If you are part of the 4.433% who uses real stats, put this in your sig.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page