Better off Bridging my router ? Gaming. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm wondering if i'll be better off Using my Linksys WRT54GS for my wifi connection I'm currently using a " Combo Modem/wireless router " it's a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 . The reason I'm doing this is because I game a lot and like to live stream but I have multiple people connected to my router and they tend to use all my speed which causes me to lag hard. I was looking at this " DD-WRT " Firmware but sadly it's doesn't support my router and I can't limit peoples connection speed. The linksys uses G and the combo uses N if it helps . Or is there a way I can use both router but Make them connect to the second router for I can limit them .

Download speed is 20mbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 69
All accounts seem to say that the SBG6580 poorly implements WMM QoS, so you are probably better off doing a router behind a router.

Install DD-WRT on your Linksys. Set the wireless info on the Linksys to the same as the Motorola for seamless switchover. Set the IP in DDWRT to something near the original router, so if the Motorola is 192.168.1.1, then make the Linksys 192.168.1.2 or something like that. Now plug in your Linksys router to the Motorola and go to the Motorola settings Advanced -> DMZ Host and enter the IP you set the Linksys router to. Then go to the wireless settings on the Motorola and disable wireless.

That should configure your network to use the Motorola as only a modem and the Linksys as your primary router fully exposed to the Internet without any firewall on the Motorola.

This should get you started on DD-WRT's QoS protocol.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page