Cat6 confused wiring - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 13 Old 09-07-2013, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I just fail to see why a specific wiring pattern that has very minuscule amounts of wire exposed at the end could actually have any significant effect on actual performance of the wire.

Here is an interesting piece of information for you all.

Between the British and US EOD forces, there are two completely different trains of thought concerning wire antennae.

The British EOD technical data says that it is safer to leave blasting cap and fuze/electrical components un-shunted as they can not complete a circuit.

The US EOD technical data says that it is safer to twist the exposed wires together as to create a closed loop and then insulate that end with electrical tape and then foil so it is not exposed to stray EMR.

Either way, there haven't been any reported problems with either school of thought, or practical application, and is still in use today.

So I'm very, very curious as to why this "industry standard" is specific as to wires being in a very specific order, and what the actual performance differences are compared to them being wired in a random order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 213
Definitely wire it either T568A or T568B on both ends. That was what I meant, sorry. Do not just wire it any ol kind of way.

In terms of why, each pair is twisted differently. Sure CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT6a all look the same, but there are reasons why you can't do 10Gb on Cat5. The wires are twisted at different intervals all to prevent crosstalk. It does make a difference. Don't ignore standards because you don't think there is a reason to them.
Inviso likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 10
I phoned a friend to walk me through it. Got it wrong a bunch of times but mainly because I wasn't forcing it all the way through. In the end i got it up and running. Googled the diagram

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page