Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rttnpig 
" url="/t/1140299/gtx-480-sli-antec-620s-mod/190#post_15882829"]
Could you give it a try? Mine improved, but ive seen other people having no effect whatsoever.

When i tried this....EVERYTHING artifacted...
Though im starting to think it was a dodgey SLi Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 348 Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 9

I am actually very disappointed with antecs quality control for this cooler, i am on my 3rd RMA from them with grinding pump issues (not from air bubbles). im on the 3rd right now and it grinds a little but the most quiet it gets is at 8.5 volts, at 5v its horrendously loud and 12v sounds like a fishtank and the different coolers would only be quiet in some orientations of the pump itself(1st one was quiet when i turned my pc upside down!!, the other only sideways)

that issue aside it is important to make sure the zip ties are very tight when attaching the cooler to the gpu and also to use a quality fan. my temps dropped 10+c and noise levels by 100% as fan speed never increases any more on load by replacing my arctic cooling F12 with the Noctua NF-12 (nicked from NH-D14 cpu cooler)

The card usually idles between 26-36C depending on room temps, and never goes over 55C under gaming load with a constant fan speed. This is also with crap generic paste so i could lower temps further if i wished. it is really a MASSIVE improvement and i would say water is a necessity with a gtx480. My card on air used to IDLE on 70-80C on 45% fan speed which was really loud and annoying, would rise to over 115C under gaming on 100% fan speed. it has also been reseated before on air with the same result, and my case does not exactly have poor airflow (2x120, 1x80, 1x250 intake/ 2x80 outtake)

VRAM stays very cool under 45C gaming load with the stock fan which i am considering removing as i have to run MSI AFterburner every boot just to run my profile to 'silence' the gpu fan to 30% instead of 44% that it idles on normally

Also i do not believe that there is really that much risk involved here unless you really do not know what your doing, when i did not mount the cooler tightly enough and the temps skyrocketed nothing happened except the card reached its thermal cutout point and shut off to prevent damage, i then tightened it and all was well. the only 'risk' i see is buying one of antecs faulty products, in the future i will go back to using corsairs as i have never had such issues with them before

post #343 of 348 Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 9
Test results when GPU fan was unplugged and shroud is off, playing BF3 for 25 minutes each time to let the temps stabilize at ULTRA settings NO AA, NO OVERCLOCK

When fan is plugged in it is set to 30% fan speed in MSI afterburner (1000 RPM)

Ambient room Temp. for all tests is a constant 17.8 C

Looks like the difference is very very small, I will be running in future without the fan is it makes unnecessary noise in my case. I would say you may want to keep it on if you have SLI going or high ambient temps/poor case airflow but fora single card like i have it seems to make very little difference.

Try it for yourselves..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #344 of 348 Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 PM

Liked: 24
I know this thread is old and I'm sorry for bumping, but everyone that has done this, did you do it with the remaining part of the stock cooler covering the memory? Did anyone do it completely removing stock cooler? I'm in a situation where I....ruined my stock cooler getting it off to put my full water block on, but I may not be able to use my 480 with water block since I want to move it into an air cooled PC. Is this possible, or am I doomed?

No matter how many other games I try and get into, Counter Strike just keeps dragging me back in.
post #345 of 348 Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 174
Send a message via AIM to cravinmild
Depends on how you "ruined it". IF you snapped it in two it may still be used by placing the pieces back on and screwing the parts to the card again. Ruined the screws/holes then just pull zippys through the screw holes and use a locker zippy on the other side. IF you melted it down in a pot till it turned liquid ... well then you may be screwed tongue.gif Serious though, what you do to ruin it?

For the most part The Mod is non destructive so these cards can be brought back to stock easily.

PICS wink.gif

post #346 of 348 Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 91
If you are talking about the heatsink that covers the VRM's, I had them removed on mine for a while until i found some replacement thermal pads. Never had any problems running it naked.
post #347 of 348 Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Liked: 24
Mild, I snapped it in two and stripped about every screw. I ended up having to drill the screws out, and by that time I didn't really think the GPU was going to survive the operation so I was being pretty rough. I can pull it out when I get home later and take a picture.

Thanks for the info rage.

No matter how many other games I try and get into, Counter Strike just keeps dragging me back in.
post #348 of 348 Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 1
Nice setup!!!! biggrin.gif

Desky retired - Long live Desky II

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page