8800GTS Fan & Temperature - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz
 
Phaetor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, this is my first post but I've been reading these boards for a while now

Anyway, i have a question about my GPU temperature. Idle it's around 60 degrees and in full load its hovering around 80, sometimes a bit higher, but NEVER above 85. I suppose these temps are not bad, but they could be better.
My GPU fan is set to automatic control (in the nTune performance menu), and i think the fan never goes faster than 59%. I never hear my GPU fan which i found strange because normally when i'm gaming for hours at a time i would expect my OCed 8800 to need all the cooling it can get.
So i set the fan to manual control and bumped the slider up to 100%, finally i heard my fan. It was going faster than normal and my load temperature dropped by 10 degrees (or more dunno .. it was alot).

Now my real question is : Why isnt the automic fan going faster ? I'm using the 97.02 drivers. It seems to me that 80-85 degrees is alot ? Or am i wrong and is 80 degrees a really safe temp for this video card ? Maybe the fan won't go faster untill it reaches 90 degrees .. i don't know .. Pls help me

Phaetor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Fortran lives!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 4,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Graphics cards tend to run hot in general. The 6600 and 6200 cards often load in the high 70s and low 80s. The 8800 runs a little hot as well from what I've heard.

I'm a graduate student, and I develop HPC codes in Fortran and Matlab to make the world better.
My user name too long or weird for you? Feel free to call me LBN. FYI, it's French for "the black box."
Official OCN Camera Thread | Flickr | Camera Stuff: Nikon D7000,Tokina 12-24 f/4 AT-X Pro, Sigma 30 f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR
Film Gear: Pentacon Praktica LLC, Meyer-Optik Gorlitz 50 f/1.8 | Nikon N2020, Nikkor 50 f/1.4 AI-S
There's really nothing remarkable about it. All you do is hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself. - J.S. Bach
laboitenoire is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Retired
 
tubnotub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Im not sure at which temperature the drivers will up the reference cycle of the fan, as such, most people just dont leave it to chance and run the fans at 100% 24/7. This cannot be doing through ntune yet, however, a work around can be found Here.
SwitchBladeClock likes this.

Originally Posted by Fishie36:
"Wow there's a lot of pwnage going on. But I still don't know how to do it."
Originally Posted by TransfuSe:
"I had a wet dream about his rig once. I woke up and I was stuck to my bed."
Originally Posted by Fatal05:
"In 'collage', people tend to use their BIOS."
tubnotub1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz
 
Phaetor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
But why doesnt the fan run faster ?? The card is running 80 degrees, and the fan is at 60% ...
With my old X800XT i could set the fan speeds in AtiTool, it was really nice. Say from 50 to 60 degrees it would run at 60% and 60-70 would be 80% and above 70 would be 100%. Stuff like that.

Tubnotub1, as you said I could run the fan at 100% all the time but i find that a bit troublesome because i like to keep the noise to a minimum when i'm doing my work in windows.

Do the new 97.44 drivers change anything about these fan speeds maybe ?
And 1 more question Whats the max safe temp on the 8800 ? 90 ? 95 ?

Phaetor is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 02:25 PM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PE, Canada
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaetor View Post
Hello all, this is my first post but I've been reading these boards for a while now

Anyway, i have a question about my GPU temperature. Idle it's around 60 degrees and in full load its hovering around 80, sometimes a bit higher, but NEVER above 85. I suppose these temps are not bad, but they could be better.
My GPU fan is set to automatic control (in the nTune performance menu), and i think the fan never goes faster than 59%. I never hear my GPU fan which i found strange because normally when i'm gaming for hours at a time i would expect my OCed 8800 to need all the cooling it can get.
So i set the fan to manual control and bumped the slider up to 100%, finally i heard my fan. It was going faster than normal and my load temperature dropped by 10 degrees (or more dunno .. it was alot).

Now my real question is : Why isnt the automic fan going faster ? I'm using the 97.02 drivers. It seems to me that 80-85 degrees is alot ? Or am i wrong and is 80 degrees a really safe temp for this video card ? Maybe the fan won't go faster untill it reaches 90 degrees .. i don't know .. Pls help me
Whats your case like? Is it big, small. The size and set up of your case is really important in temerature. On mine, I have two 80mm fans right beside my graphics card blowing in cool air, and one next to my CPU blowing out warm air. How fast your fan is spinning is important yes, but, if it is blowing warm air, it's not doing much.
Vicious-Deeds likes this.

I am 70% addicted to Counterstrike.
You?

SwitchBladeClock is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Retired
 
tubnotub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaetor View Post
Tubnotub1, as you said I could run the fan at 100% all the time but i find that a bit troublesome because i like to keep the noise to a minimum when i'm doing my work in windows.
Yeah, I really dont mind the noise which is why its not such a big deal for me. You can try making some custom settings in rivatuner. Not sure if riva supports that on the 8 series though. And I think the max temp for these cards, that you would want to run 24/7 is somewhere around 90c, though I think the slowdown threshold is much higher, around 120c.

Originally Posted by Fishie36:
"Wow there's a lot of pwnage going on. But I still don't know how to do it."
Originally Posted by TransfuSe:
"I had a wet dream about his rig once. I woke up and I was stuck to my bed."
Originally Posted by Fatal05:
"In 'collage', people tend to use their BIOS."
tubnotub1 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz
 
Phaetor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBladeClock View Post
Whats your case like? Is it big, small. The size and set up of your case is really important in temerature. On mine, I have two 80mm fans right beside my graphics card blowing in cool air, and one next to my CPU blowing out warm air. How fast your fan is spinning is important yes, but, if it is blowing warm air, it's not doing much.
Thermaltake Kandalf (actually armor .. i took the extra panels off), the case is quite cool, that's not the problem. If i put the GPU fan @ 100% my card is really cool. I was just wondering why it doesnt go above 60% by its self.

But tubnotub said that 90 degrees is still safe, and I'm at 80. So i guess it isn't a problem. I could still put it at 100% if i need to.

Phaetor is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Retired
 
tubnotub1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaetor View Post
But tubnotub said that 90 degrees is still safe, and I'm at 80. So i guess it isn't a problem. I could still put it at 100% if i need to.
I would just suggest changing the fan speed manually when your about to start gaming to 100% via the Nvidia control panel, and then turning it back down once you have stopped gaming. While I *think* 90c is fine for a max temp while gaming, I would in NO WAY feel comfortable running my two cards that hot. I try to keep them under 80c.
Phaetor likes this.

Originally Posted by Fishie36:
"Wow there's a lot of pwnage going on. But I still don't know how to do it."
Originally Posted by TransfuSe:
"I had a wet dream about his rig once. I woke up and I was stuck to my bed."
Originally Posted by Fatal05:
"In 'collage', people tend to use their BIOS."
tubnotub1 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz
 
Phaetor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In Elder Scrolls Oblivion @ 1920*1200 with everything maxed out my card hovers around 80 degrees, sometimes a few degrees up, sometimes in the upper 70's.
But I'll put my fan a bit higher manually than yes. Ok

Phaetor is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-28-2006, 03:17 PM
733mhz
 
Carni4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My bfg 8800gts gets about 55°C under load. It's oced to 640/1000. Who wants to know my secret?
Carni4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off