The Difference between FXAA on NVIDIA Control Panel and 4xMSAA on Battlefield 3 - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by newn View Post

Unless you've a 120Hz monitor, the framerate drop that you're having doesn't matter.

Thanks for the response
hmm, what do you mean by that? I still don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharchaster View Post

Thanks for the response
hmm, what do you mean by that? I still don't understand.

You should read about Vsync. Assuming you've an LCD, unless it's one of the costlier ones, it's most likely running on 60Hz. Which means that you won't see the "extra" frames in action, you will only see 60FPS.

That's why I always enable Vsync - it limits the FPS to what your monitor supports. For example, I've a CRT that supports 100Hz (high refresh rate, game appears to be faster), so Vsync would limit the frame rate to 100 (wouldn't go over 100). My LCD's running on 60Hz, therefore Vsync limits the FPS to 60. That also prevents "tearing effect," although I don't know how it would look like.

You can read more about this here, here and here if you're interested in the technical stuff - I'm a poor teacher. smile.gif
post #23 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:

You should read about Vsync. Assuming you've an LCD, unless it's one of the costlier ones, it's most likely running on 60Hz. Which means that you won't see the "extra" frames in action, you will only see 60FPS.
That's why I always enable Vsync - it limits the FPS to what your monitor supports. For example, I've a CRT that supports 100Hz (high refresh rate, game appears to be faster), so Vsync would limit the frame rate to 100 (wouldn't go over 100). My LCD's running on 60Hz, therefore Vsync limits the FPS to 60. That also prevents "tearing effect," although I don't know how it would look like.
You can read more about this here, here and here if you're interested in the technical stuff - I'm a poor teacher. smile.gif

Thanks for the response
this means, even I disable the V-Sync and I get the 70 FPS for example in BF3, when my monitor only supports 60 Hz, means I only see the "action" of 60 FPS, not 70 FPS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Overclocker in Training

Quote:

Thanks for the response
this means, even I disable the V-Sync and I get the 70 FPS for example in BF3, when my monitor only supports 60 Hz, means I only see the "action" of 60 FPS, not 70 FPS?

Your English is confusing.

You should check the links I gave you, as I don't get your question.
post #25 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:

Your English is confusing.
You should check the links I gave you, as I don't get your question.

ups sorry, for my bad English, since English languages is not my primary languages in my country...smile.gif

I mean, there is no difference (more faster games or whatever) between 60 fps and 70-100 fps, since my Monitor only supports 60 Hz (max 60 fps), right? because I only have 60 Hz monitor.

Ok I will check the link that you gave to me. Thanks...

post #26 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Overclocker in Training

Quote:

ups sorry, for my bad English, since English languages is not my primary languages in my country...smile.gif
I mean, there is no difference (more faster games or whatever) between 60 fps and 70-100 fps, when my Monitor only supports 60 Hz (max 60 fps), right? because I only have 60 Hz monitor.
Ok I will check the link that you gave to me. Thanks...

Yes, that is what I said in the original reply - no difference. Which is why Vsync should be on to avoid frame tearing. thumb.gif
post #27 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 276
Quote:

Thanks for the response
I enable FXAA on Global settings, not Program Settings, and I enable "it" again on BF3 Settings....where the other people says that I'm running FXAA (on NCP) + FXAA (Anti-Aliasing Post) (on BF3 Settings).
the picture will be coming soon, because I was turn off my PC, and switch to laptop now....biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure when you enable it in the global setting it doesn't really change BF3. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe EA/Dice disabled that ability with any GFX driver or 3rd party utility. But, here's your chance to prove me wrong. That's just what I've been told and I've never tried the global setting

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #28 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:

Yes, that is what I said in the original reply - no difference. Which is why Vsync should be on to avoid frame tearing. thumb.gif

ok I understand now, thanks for a great explanation...thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

I'm pretty sure when you enable it in the global setting it doesn't really change BF3. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe EA/Dice disabled that ability with any GFX driver or 3rd party utility. But, here's your chance to prove me wrong. That's just what I've been told and I've never tried the global setting

yeah I know that now, the main reason I want to try this feature is because I want to know what the main function of FXAA is, some people explain to me that MSAA is the best looking image, but inefficient, FXAA can raise the framerates, but the image quality is more blurry than MSAA, which in fact, I can't clearly see the difference between those two settings on my naked eyes. smile.gif

but since I only have 60 Hz monitor and I know what the main function of FXAA is now, I decide to enable All Settings which like I did before....(enable 4xMSAA, AA Post set to high, and V-Sync enabled) thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page