What is a safe level for OC'ing the memory clock? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 34 Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
if you want to check weather your VRAM is error free, run MemtestG80.
it's like Memtest86 for VRAM that runs in Linux, Win, or Mac.

ph34r-smiley.gif [edit] found a couple of other video stress tests (windows) here. [/edit]

future proof? no 'future proof' hardware exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
333mhz

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Your link just goes to the thread, not the actual post. Do you know the post number? I tried to flash my card in Windows a numebr of different ways, but none of them were compatible with 64-bit Windows. Do you know which version of nvflash you used?

It's second post on the page, post 4002.

I used a version of nvflash which is compatible with 64-bit Windows, I forgot where I found it, but I do remember it was mentioned it works on 64 bit smile.gif
And it does, I tested it.
Also, when used with Kepler Bios Tweaker, it it very newb friendly, because KBT will run the nvflash for you, with all required parametars, without the need for user to go to command prompt

post #23 of 34 Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiadventures View Post

It's second post on the page, post 4002.

I used a version of nvflash which is compatible with 64-bit Windows, I forgot where I found it, but I do remember it was mentioned it works on 64 bit smile.gif
And it does, I tested it.
Also, when used with Kepler Bios Tweaker, it it very newb friendly, because KBT will run the nvflash for you, with all required parametars, without the need for user to go to command prompt

So KBT basically does it all for you? I feel like such a noob constantly reiterating my questions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
333mhz

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassToTheArson View Post

So KBT basically does it all for you? I feel like such a noob constantly reiterating my questions

Yeah, it is pretty noob friendly, but only if you just change what you are supposed to.
I wouldnt just go and mess with all the settings though smile.gif

post #25 of 34 Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 792
Quote:

Just change max voltage #1 and #2 (on the voltage tab) to 1187.5, and if you want you can change the power limits on the common page (although that is optional). You'll need the 64-bit compatible version of nvflash though, in the same folder where you run the KBT.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.
post #26 of 34 Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
I'm wondering about this as well. I'm able to get +700 stable with increase in heaven 3.0 stable with 1254 core on my 670. Brings bus width up to 237.1 GB/s from 192 default. I tried 800 but it crashed in heaven. Wondering if its safe to use this for everyday use. Haven't touched the memory voltage because I don't want to damage the card. But there is definitely a noticeable improvement in games especially with MSAA past x2.

So running +700 is totally safe and basically free performance? Also why wouldn't they set this as default in the first place?
post #27 of 34 Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 792
Yes it's safe, and the reason they don't set it that high is because not all chips can do that speed. They have to set it so that all the chips are stable at the speed, even if that means leaving some performance untapped. Do check to be sure performance is still increased at 700 (over say 600) though, as at very high memory overclocks the performance can actually decrease because of automatic error correction.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.
post #28 of 34 Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 115
since your running a PE , why not just use 2.2.3 AB and set your voltages up a bit , that should give you more headroom .

try it an see .

post #29 of 34 Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edkiefer View Post

since your running a PE , why not just use 2.2.3 AB and set your voltages up a bit , that should give you more headroom .

try it an see .

I was under the impression that AB couldn't do anything for the voltage, regardless of what the program says

post #30 of 34 Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 312
Quote:

I was under the impression that AB couldn't do anything for the voltage, regardless of what the program says

2.2.3 give AB the ability to raise voltage for MSI 670 PE & 680 Lightning, for other Kepler cards & other versions of MSI AB what you said is true without using modded Bios.

I don't hug trees, but I do drive a Prius wink.gif

post-flame-small.gif GTX 1080 Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club post-flame-small.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page