Question: Overclocking 1070 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer
 
SexyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shoreline, WA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

I am super familiar with overclocking CPU's, but when it comes to GPU i get a bit stumped. My MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X will be coming in tomorrow and was wondering if I could get a step by step guide on how to OC it properly. Assuming all i'll need is MSI afterburner.

What temps should i be looking for (less than 80C?)

With the new GPU boost i hear that the numbers float around a range? Lets say i OC to 2000, would it realistically be more like 1950-2000?

As far as testing the OC, how will i know it's stable? I know the OC mode for this card, using the MSI software can push it up to 1791 i believe, but I know this card can push out more!!
Sorry for the newbie questions, just would like to get a nice grasp before I start messing with it tomorrow.
SexyLegs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 06-30-2016, 11:56 PM
News Fiend
 
InverseTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Americas Shaft
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLegs View Post

Hey guys,

I am super familiar with overclocking CPU's, but when it comes to GPU i get a bit stumped. My MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X will be coming in tomorrow and was wondering if I could get a step by step guide on how to OC it properly. Assuming all i'll need is MSI afterburner.

What temps should i be looking for (less than 80C?)

With the new GPU boost i hear that the numbers float around a range? Lets say i OC to 2000, would it realistically be more like 1950-2000?

As far as testing the OC, how will i know it's stable? I know the OC mode for this card, using the MSI software can push it up to 1791 i believe, but I know this card can push out more!!
Sorry for the newbie questions, just would like to get a nice grasp before I start messing with it tomorrow.

Its really simple, not much more different from cpu overclocking. Most 1070's hit around 2025mhz oc stable. and ram about 400+ mhz stable but every card is different. just install the card and the latest drivers and then get msi afterburner, for programs Heaven or Valley are great choices, some like Furmark and that works just fine too but i simply prefer the latter. run the card for about 10 minutes first and get a baseline mark of your base clock speed and base temp, keeping at or preferably under 80c is key and if the temp does raise above you can set your own fan curve to cool it better, but for the base testing leave it stock until you find your general overclocking limit. To start overclocking there are 2 ways, you can either do small increments of 50mhz and then test or you can go big and start right off the bat at +200 and test, both ways still require work and tweaking, i personally do 50mhz increments. If you really want to push the card as far as you can boost the voltage all the way up. i know that sounds bad but it maxes out super fast at a rather low 1.25v and that is totally fine under load, if you do this do another baseline measurement and see what you hit and so forth, now from this point begin the 50mhz increases, increase 50mhz then do a 5 to 10 min baseline run of the benchmark program and just look for general instability or crashes or artifacts, artifacts will be very noticeable random tears/acting up on the screen, its hard to explain but it is very noticeable. Once you hit the point of instability begin lowering your clocks in about 10mhz increments and continue testing until you find the stable point. If you only want to do a core clock oc this is where you would now begin your extended test and generally you want to leave it running for a few hours at least, overnight is the option most people choose. if it crashes or shows instability again lower some more. If you want to do memory overclocking begin with 50mhz to 100mhz boosts and testing the same as before, quick 5 to 10 min tests until you hit instability, from there just drop it down, i find memory to overclock alot farther, with my 960's running 400mhz+ zero issues, so dont be afraid if you think its too much after a point, good memory modules will oc far. once you finally find the point of stability begin your extended stress test. if you hit instability at this point it is a choice whether you want to lower memory or core, both pull generally the same power, core clock will generally net you more fps so lowering the memory clock is what most will do and is just fine. once you have tested for a extended period and its stable, congrats, you have successfully overclocked your gpu, at this point if temps are a bit too high for your liking you can make your own fan curve within afterburner but msi's cards have shown very solid stock results even when overclocked so you probably wont have to touch it unless you want too. at this point just look out while gaming for any artifacts, sometimes the card will pass stress testing only to artifact or lock up on games, in that case just go back in and lower a clock and play again and see if it happens. after the first 2 days of tweaking you are pretty much set forever, just make sure to save the oc profile in afterburner just in case and your done. i hope this helps you a bit, i know its not the best organized paragraph haha but its something. biggrin.gif enjoy and happy overclocking, and questions feel free to ask away.
SexyLegs likes this.

And To The Dust We Shall Return

3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Participant 2017 

InverseTundra is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer
 
SexyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shoreline, WA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So i managed to get +100 on my gpu clock and + 600 for memory (anything higher on both and there were slight artifacts). I didn't mess with voltage only because i hear it doesn't really do much atm. I also did not touch my power amount (left it at 100 in msi afterburner). In all my benhmarks + testing games, it never once went above 65C (way to go msi with your cooler)!

I ran valley (benchmark) as well as msi kombustor with x64 tessellation and all seemed to be doing ok.

Aside from just gaming on this regularly to see if it is stable, what benchmark tool do you recommend i run to stress it fully? I'm not too comfortable leaving it on while i sleep overnight so i might do those extended stress testing during the day.

I wish i could have gotten more on the gpu clock, but i'll take the +100 smile.gif.

Hopefully I'll find out the more i play games if this is stable or not. So far it seems to be.
SexyLegs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 03:10 PM
News Fiend
 
InverseTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Americas Shaft
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLegs View Post

So i managed to get +100 on my gpu clock and + 600 for memory (anything higher on both and there were slight artifacts). I didn't mess with voltage only because i hear it doesn't really do much atm. I also did not touch my power amount (left it at 100 in msi afterburner). In all my benhmarks + testing games, it never once went above 65C (way to go msi with your cooler)!

I ran valley (benchmark) as well as msi kombustor with x64 tessellation and all seemed to be doing ok.

Aside from just gaming on this regularly to see if it is stable, what benchmark tool do you recommend i run to stress it fully? I'm not too comfortable leaving it on while i sleep overnight so i might do those extended stress testing during the day.

I wish i could have gotten more on the gpu clock, but i'll take the +100 smile.gif.

Hopefully I'll find out the more i play games if this is stable or not. So far it seems to be.

Kombustor is probably the hardest running, but honestly valley is solid too, there really isnt a high end program to test, its alot simpliler then cpu overclocking imo, as long as you are stable in valley and when gaming your good. nothing else too it. if you want raise your power target all the way up and see if that aids you, it wont hurt anything being raised even if its at stock clocks, and if you want to try to push more try more voltage, you may get a bigger boost then your expecting, wont know till you try haha.

And To The Dust We Shall Return

3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Participant 2017 

InverseTundra is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer
 
SexyLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shoreline, WA
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick questions. Will upping the power limit and or voltage allow me to have higher clocks w.o artifacting?
SexyLegs is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2016, 05:27 PM
News Fiend
 
InverseTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Americas Shaft
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLegs View Post

Quick questions. Will upping the power limit and or voltage allow me to have higher clocks w.o artifacting?

yup, thats how it works haha, its like overclocking a cpu, upping the voltage gives better overclocks. So it would aid, how much varies per card obviously silicon lottery and such but it will help for sure.

And To The Dust We Shall Return

3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Participant 2017 

InverseTundra is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off