post #21 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

I went from SLI 480s to a single 670 FTW, like you I was very shocked and happy with the quietness. Even fan speed at 80% doesn't seem that bad.

Anything seems quiet when you're used to 480s biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Game Designer / Data Scientist

Liked: 429
Any turbine, including EVGA's GTX 670/680 designs, are LOUD. There is no way around this. It may seem less noisy if your PC is in a fairly loud environment, tucked away under a desk, or your other fans are also loud, but it is still very audible (Or if you're coming from SLI GTX 480s tongue.gif). The EVGA GTX 670 FTW model is a tad quieter than a reference GTX 670 thanks to its reference GTX 680 heatsink, but the noise difference between EVGA's non FTW models and the reference model is minimal. (They do, however, use a beefier heatsink than the reference design for the short-PCB GTX 670 models)

Radial fan designs are almost always quieter than turbine fans (with exceptions) and as long as you have decent airflow the exhausted heat is a non-issue.

I run a very quiet system and could not tolerate the stock fan of the GTX 670 FTW. As such I'm running the Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid, which is nearly inaudible despite sitting next to me on my desk tongue.gif

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #23 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 40
its all about the size of the blower and how fast it spin.. BUT the fan RPMs or the "need" to spin faster its closely related to the amount of air the case fans"feed" to them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post

Any turbine, including EVGA's GTX 670/680 designs, are LOUD. There is no way around this. It may seem less noisy if your PC is in a fairly loud environment, tucked away under a desk, or your other fans are also loud, but it is still very audible (Or if you're coming from SLI GTX 480s tongue.gif). The EVGA GTX 670 FTW model is a tad quieter than a reference GTX 670 thanks to its reference GTX 680 heatsink, but the noise difference between EVGA's non FTW models and the reference model is minimal. (They do, however, use a beefier heatsink than the reference design for the short-PCB GTX 670 models)
Radial fan designs are almost always quieter than turbine fans (with exceptions) and as long as you have decent airflow the exhausted heat is a non-issue.
I run a very quiet system and could not tolerate the stock fan of the GTX 670 FTW. As such I'm running the Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid, which is nearly inaudible despite sitting next to me on my desk tongue.gif

Thanks for your input!

I have to say that loud is a very relative and subjective term. I personally think that the amount of noise is well below what I consider to be intolerable. It's louder than everything else in my system when I fold or game, but I dont consider it to be excessive.

I really appreciate the fact that it is exhausting hot air outside my case.

post #25 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterize View Post

Thanks for your input!

I have to say that loud is a very relative and subjective term. I personally think that the amount of noise is well below what I consider to be intolerable. It's louder than everything else in my system when I fold or game, but I dont consider it to be excessive.

I really appreciate the fact that it is exhausting hot air outside my case.

In a case your size, even though it isn't particularly optimized for airflow, the exhaust is a non-issue tongue.gif Part of my qualm with loud graphics cards is that I keep my computer 2 feet to my left, on top of my desk wink.gif I'm something a silence nut tongue.gif

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #26 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post

In a case your size, even though it isn't particularly optimized for airflow, the exhaust is a non-issue tongue.gifPart of my qualm with loud graphics cards is that I keep my computer 2 feet to my left, on top of my desk wink.gif I'm something a silence nut tongue.gif

Ah, I do the same thing actually. Mine is on my right, due to the position of the side window. 
The reason why I like the exhaust, actually, is that my sound card is right under my graphic card, and having my GPUs blowing all the hot air on it is concerning me.

I consider myself to be an idle silence nut. My computer is, for instance, dead quiet when i'm not really stressing it. I dont mind to have a little bit of noise when i'm gaming, though. thumb.gif
I'd be curious to try one of these accelero coolers, someday.

post #27 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 145
If you really are that worried about silence you could always mod one of antec or corsairs closed loop coolers onto it as others do.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterize View Post

Ah, I do the same thing actually. Mine is on my right, due to the position of the side window. 

The reason why I like the exhaust, actually, is that my sound card is right under my graphic card, and having my GPUs blowing all the hot air on it is concerning me.

I consider myself to be an idle silence nut. My computer is, for instance, dead quiet when i'm not really stressing it. I dont mind to have a little bit of noise when i'm gaming, though. thumb.gif

I'd be curious to try one of these accelero coolers, someday.

The reference GTX 670/680 and the GTX 670 FTW were all audible to the point of me hearing them quite significantly over the sounds of gameplay with or without headphones. At idle, they're all fine, but under load they blew the house down wink.gif

post #29 of 29 Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Programmer

Liked: 55
I only find the fan noise disturbing when gaming without headphones and at really low volume. At moderate volume with speakers I can hear the cards but they don't disturb me (although that's subjective). When gaming with loud speakers or headphones I really can't hear them though.

Watercooled by: EK - XSPC - Swiftech - Primochill - Mayhems - Scythe

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page