WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

"special" biggrin.gif
I find it mind bogling that a bios that is a exact match still is said to be different however I and naennon have talked about this and it seems that the vendors actually got a slightly modified bios then the Nvidia ref bios which is the difference between those.

I went back and loaded his again, with the card warning and beeping at me again.....hate loading different bios than mine since have to reload drivers then.

Though his does cause throttling on mine( pic below), I did get higher score, ie less throttling on fire strike despite same core. before as soon as I saw throttling, just assumed it would be same, ran only first test. My score on 8 different versions of my bios on fire strike at same core max of 1202, highest was 9940x2, 9939x1, and lower. On his was 10033, and his bios had throttling on only 2/4 tests vs 3/4 on mine even when I had duplicated his settings, except the greyed onces which cant change like boost table. And his throttling magnitude was less.

I am going to try raising power limits on his, and see if can completely eliminate throttling on mine...but yeah something is different with his bios and mine, something I cant edit. Maybe hard coded power limit higher on his?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4692 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

I personally don't give a flip about over clock stability. If its stable enough to get a score that's stable enough for me. These two cards are plenty for gaming at stock clocks...

Oh so you guys trying to get higher Benchmark scores, and all this time i wanted to make my system 1163mhz or more stable for 24/7 as i see people posting high OC speeds.

Now i guess i know that 90% of OC's reported here are probably good for just one or 2 run for Benchmark purposes only.

I feel better now, was thinking that i get bad cards or something since i can only be 100% stable and i mean 100% gaming 24/7 only at 1136mhz in SLi.( Crysis 1, Far Cry 3 etc...)

I can bench at 1202mhz or so but gaming it 's different story.

Im happy regardless i just want to game thumb.gif
BababooeyHTJ likes this.
post #4693 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 346
WOOHOO! No more throttling. naennon's bios clearly has higher hard coded power limits. I edited his bios, changed the power limits even higher to 285K and 330K, and now fire strike increased to 10,232 and rock solid 1202 core whole time, even on my leaky power hungry card. I also changed his boost limit down to 1215, though completely irrelevant it just bothered my OCD, it is actually limited to 1202 by hist greyed out boost table.

Now to see if it will be stable at 1202, should be since havent crashed in 8+ hours of running benchmarks..though 3/4 of them throttled but never crashed, but will see.

THANKS NAENNON!!! REP+ when I can find your post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4694 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 197
Yes sir, always be skeptical of claims that you read on the forums. It'll almost always lead you to believe that you got a bad cpu or video card.
post #4696 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

"special" biggrin.gif
I find it mind bogling that a bios that is a exact match still is said to be different however I and naennon have talked about this and it seems that the vendors actually got a slightly modified bios then the Nvidia ref bios which is the difference between those.
Now we're all of to using Nvidia vendor biosses it should be all good so yeah he was right on that (never had it before though 8xxx 9xxx 2xx 4xx 5xx)

If my girlfriend is gonna tell me I should be more "special" which I doubt she would, I'll find myself someone who is a little less childish #dating15YO's

Wait, so do you have a 1.25v bios based on the Naeenan one? That one had rock stable core and no throttling, just needs the bump up to 1.25v! Then we would be golden. thumb.gif

post #4697 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM
performance fanboy

Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiplayer View Post

Don't know exactly but I would say 2 360 rads

I'm using 140 rads and discovered these fit in the 5'25 bay. (Check the exact size before buy)
So in my phantom case I'm gonna put a 420 rad on top and under it another 280.

Or a 280 rad on top and 2 140 rads vertically in the 5'25 bay.
There isn't much space left but enough for a dvd reader and a fan controller wich leave the bay almost empty behind it.

Does anybody consider universal gpu coolers?

A universal block is what I've been using, I gave up on full cover blocks a while ago. Much cheaper to just keep re-using universal with new gpus than buying full cover blocks every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

I personally don't give a flip about over clock stability. If its stable enough to get a score that's stable enough for me. These two cards are plenty for gaming at stock clocks...

Good point, for anyone looking at the clock/scores I get, my card is stable enough to pass the bench & get the score in the screenshot. No idea if it is stable enough to loop it a second time or not beyond that, I haven't gamed on it or stability tested it overclocked.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  40 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #4698 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW 420 View Post

A universal block is what I've been using, I gave up on full cover blocks a while ago. Much cheaper to just keep re-using universal with new gpus than buying full cover blocks every time.

Thats never given you issues with vrm cooling? Even with a d-tek unisink the vrms on my GTX280 got really hot.
post #4699 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Not just position, SUPERposition!

Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

I went back and loaded his again, with the card warning and beeping at me again.....hate loading different bios than mine since have to reload drivers then.

Though his does cause throttling on mine( pic below), I did get higher score, ie less throttling on fire strike despite same core. before as soon as I saw throttling, just assumed it would be same, ran only first test. My score on 8 different versions of my bios on fire strike at same core max of 1202, highest was 9940x2, 9939x1, and lower. On his was 10033, and his bios had throttling on only 2/4 tests vs 3/4 on mine even when I had duplicated his settings, except the greyed onces which cant change like boost table. And his throttling magnitude was less.

I am going to try raising power limits on his, and see if can completely eliminate throttling on mine...but yeah something is different with his bios and mine, something I cant edit. Maybe hard coded power limit higher on his?

What vendor was the bios? wink.gif
post #4700 of 28144 Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Not just position, SUPERposition!

Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallsignVega View Post

Wait, so do you have a 1.25v bios based on the Naeenan one? That one had rock stable core and no throttling, just needs the bump up to 1.25v! Then we would be golden. thumb.gif
I have the Nvidia bios with 1.25V that is it

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page