Forum Jump: 

post #19441 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccalas View Post

Hello, all. New to the forums here, and had some questions regarding my 980 ti Classy (non KPE), and my understanding of OC'ing Maxwell.

I have been reading forums a LOT (including all posts on this one since #18001...). Let me see if I understand a few things correctly:

1. Maxwell OC's better with temps. Upping voltage isn't really going to get me extra clocks on air.

2. ASIC pretty much just determines what kind of actual boost clock I get, and what my stock voltage looks like: not neccesarilly my max possible clock is.

3. Don't trust software voltage (even overboost in PX).

Do I have this right? And what I need help with:

After getting my card (77.0% ASIC, stock actual boost to 1417MHz), I ran heaven and started increasing my clock slowly until crash at 1530MHz. I was stable at 1520 and 1525, and did complete a run at 1530, but only one run. Then I started messing with voltage in overboost setting (before reading about how it doesn't do much). I went up to 1275 mV on the slider. Since then, I haven't really been stable at 1520. A) Could I have hurt my card? I'm really kinda worried about this... B) Is it weird that I can get stable at higher clocks in Heaven than Fire strike (~10MHz)? And C) Is it possibly harmful that I started flashing BIOSes willy-nilly?

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

P.S. does it make me a turd if I buy another card to test, and then resell for $50 or so less if it doesn't OC like I want it?

This happens a lot as a new card "breaks in" a bit. You'll think you have a stable overclock, but a little while later it won't work. It's normal. I experienced that on my 770, 780, 780Ti, 980 and Titan X. As for selling, you shouldn't. You got a Classified that happily hits 1500MHz. The difference in FPS between 1500MHz and 1520MHz would be 1 FPS or less.

Enjoy it! smile.gif
mccalas likes this.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz 1.35v
Cooling: EK Blocks, AlphaCool Rads, D5, Ice White Coolant
Mobo: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming ITX
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 16-16-16-36 3200MHz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC @2114MHz
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Case: Gun Metal/Black Mercury S3 ITX
Display & Audio: Acer XB270HU + Yamaha RXA-1040, KEF Q300, Polk Center
Mouse & KB: Zowie EC2-A + Max Keyboard Blackbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19442 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post

This happens a lot as a new card "breaks in" a bit. You'll think you have a stable overclock, but a little while later it won't work. It's normal. I experienced that on my 770, 780, 780Ti, 980 and Titan X. As for selling, you shouldn't. You got a Classified that happily hits 1500MHz. The difference in FPS between 1500MHz and 1520MHz would be 1 FPS or less.

Enjoy it! smile.gif

Thanks, i feel much relieved! Never had a high-end card before, and was worried i did something terrible, haha.

And i have no intentions of selling this card wink.gif waiting to get waterblock to get (a little) chilly and see if i can push it any further. I was considering SLI, but didnt want a dud to pair with this one, and didnt want to be greasy about trying to get the golden card. Probably just going to stick with single card setup for a while.

Anyway, thanks again!

post #19443 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 AM

Liked: 2
I have 2 of these cards. Both 80+. I can hit 1570 with both and that's about it . As for a second card. I wish I would have known what my numbers would be before I shelled out another 1360.00 dollars on card and water block. Didn't really make that big a a improvement definetly not anything close to double I would say 38 percent better performance. It does look badass though. Have fun tinkering with your card !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19444 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 05:10 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccalas View Post

After getting my card (77.0% ASIC, stock actual boost to 1417MHz), I ran heaven and started increasing my clock slowly until crash at 1530MHz. I was stable at 1520 and 1525, and did complete a run at 1530, but only one run. Then I started messing with voltage in overboost setting (before reading about how it doesn't do much). I went up to 1275 mV on the slider. Since then, I haven't really been stable at 1520. A) Could I have hurt my card? I'm really kinda worried about this... B) Is it weird that I can get stable at higher clocks in Heaven than Fire strike (~10MHz)? And C) Is it possibly harmful that I started flashing BIOSes willy-nilly?
Don't just crank the voltage up to 1275 mV, it's way too much. Just try it with 1212 mV or 1225 mV. Higher voltage just isn't needed on air.
post #19445 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein888 View Post

Thanks for the explanation. So which is optimal for 24/7 water cooled OC? Just leave it on? Secondly, the EVBot settings reset every time the computer is rebooted correct? So really I'm stuck with whatever I can get though software for everyday right? Is there a way of making it save and reboot using EVBot settings?

More importantly, is anything I can access through EVBot even going to be useful to me in my quest for a max stable over clock?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to better understand what I'm doing.

For a 24/7 or gaming OC, unless you configure and save your evbot settings to a evbot save slot (1-4), put the bot away (or sell it to gunney) and use MSI afterburner. A restart will clear any evbot settings and you may be thankful for this at times wink.gif . Leave vdroop enabled for 24/7 use. It's there for a reason.
Set up an OC in MSI AB save it to a save slot (1-5) and enable " Load at start" in settings. My experience with PX is that it can cause more problems than features it brings (like k-boost), and I only use when I want k-boost.
post #19446 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post

For a 24/7 or gaming OC, unless you configure and save your evbot settings to a evbot save slot (1-4), put the bot away (or sell it to gunney) and use MSI afterburner. A restart will clear any evbot settings and you may be thankful for this at times wink.gif . Leave vdroop enabled for 24/7 use. It's there for a reason.
Set up an OC in MSI AB save it to a save slot (1-5) and enable " Load at start" in settings. My experience with PX is that it can cause more problems than features it brings (like k-boost), and I only use when I want k-boost.

So there's no use in utilizing Overboost? According to my EVBot, the only time when I'm actually getting 1.212V is when I'm using OB. Will I be able to get the max stable OC out of whatever I get out of "+50mV" in AB? Don't get me wrong I hate PX and love AB by comparison at least, but I just want to get the most out of my hardware like everyone else. If I understand correctly, OB is useless for these GPUs, KBoost is the only beneficial feature PX has to offer, and everyone using it on here could be doing the same thing in AB, but they're choosing to use PX because they have EVGA cards.
post #19447 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:

So there's no use in utilizing Overboost? According to my EVBot, the only time when I'm actually getting 1.212V is when I'm using OB. Will I be able to get the max stable OC out of whatever I get out of "+50mV" in AB? Don't get me wrong I hate PX and love AB by comparison at least, but I just want to get the most out of my hardware like everyone else. If I understand correctly, OB is useless for these GPUs, KBoost is the only beneficial feature PX has to offer, and everyone using it on here could be doing the same thing in AB, but they're choosing to use PX because they have EVGA cards.
Frankly, voltage is not going to buy much of anything at ambient temps with maxwell... you be better off trying to figure out how to keep the gpu temperature below 35C or below 20C. If you want k-boost, enable it with PX, close PX and it's on until you disable it... then set clocks/power with AB. EVbot does not show the actual voltage and if you are messing with voltage settings on both PX and your evbot, a clash for control is inevitable. If you plug in your evbot, use nothing else to adjust voltages (besides the hardware switches). In that use scenario, AB and PX functionally the same, tho operationally AB is just cleaner IMO. PX is fine to use, but has some querky behavior at times.
post #19448 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 01:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymer362 View Post

I have 2 of these cards. Both 80+. I can hit 1570 with both and that's about it . As for a second card. I wish I would have known what my numbers would be before I shelled out another 1360.00 dollars on card and water block. Didn't really make that big a a improvement definetly not anything close to double I would say 38 percent better performance. It does look badass though. Have fun tinkering with your card !!!

You can hit 1570mhz on both? What kind of voltage are you pushing to be able to get those clock speeds? Also, I wanna see a firestrike graphics score with just one at 1570mhz.

You basically won the silicon lottery with those numbers. Both my Classified Tis were in the mid 50s for ASIC.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz 1.35v
Cooling: EK Blocks, AlphaCool Rads, D5, Ice White Coolant
Mobo: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming ITX
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 16-16-16-36 3200MHz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC @2114MHz
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Case: Gun Metal/Black Mercury S3 ITX
Display & Audio: Acer XB270HU + Yamaha RXA-1040, KEF Q300, Polk Center
Mouse & KB: Zowie EC2-A + Max Keyboard Blackbird
post #19449 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 02:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:

if i may:

for voltage CONTROL you can use EVbot, AB, PX or the classy tool. but for voltage MONITORING trust your DMM.

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
post #19450 of 21388 Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Liked: 2
I don't touch voltage and I didn't win any lottery lol. I have the worst luck ever, I paid for these cards both were 1080.00 plus another 188.00 for water block shipped to my door. I should correct my self I worded wrong. I can get both cards at same time to run at 1560. Cards by themselves can run at 1570. When I first bought these cards though i was able to complete a few runs at 1580 paired together.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page