6600GT SLi Problems - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 PM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Have you tried resetting the CMOS, and running everything at stock settings, including the PCIe bus (stock = 100MHz)? Give yourself a stock baseline... You may find that it will POST in SLI that way, and that it won't take teh same settings that a single GPU rig can.

Just a thought.

Some people live on this earth to do great things... Unfortunately, most are here simply because it's illegal to kill them.

12,277 in 3DMark06 on a mostly secondhand budget rig rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 01:57 PM
333mhz

Liked: 0
for sli you realy need a power supply with 2 or more 12v rails check the specs to see if the 600w psu has more than 1 12v rail ..it should as its fairly standard nowadays

spawn gunner2.gif die spawngunner2.gif die spawn gunner2.gif die spawn gunner2.gif diemad.gif

post #13 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 02:01 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 76
well since 6600GTs dont need the extra PCI-e power connector (the draw power solely from the mobo) as long as your mobo voltages are stable with both cards installed properly, Id say its all good. I had SLi 6600GTs on my old ASUS SLI-Deluxe board with a crappy aprevia 420W PSU (2 12v rails, 18A per rail)

and it worked well as long as I plugged an extra molex connector into the 'ez-selector' on the board.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Liked: 7
Will give some of these things a try, the PSU is an FSP, not a very well known brand but they stuff they make aint that bad.

post #15 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 02:30 PM
2.4ghz

Liked: 34
Here is a website if you are planning to get better PSU:
http://www.xoxideforums.com/general-...ing-guide.html

Btw check if you unchecked this option:
[Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot/Enable write combining (uncheck it if checked and restart and vice versa)]

"When we begin to expect nothing better than stupidity and dereliction as a rule and act accordingly, that's what we'll start getting."

post #16 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Right well the extremely good news is the card is not damaged! The card I believed to be damaged, I just plugged back into the primary port and took the other out started it up and display it totally fine no artifacts or anything, must have just not been seated right?

So to summarize the problem more clearly will explain from scratch what I have done and what the problem is.

I have two XFX 6600GT 128mb which I know for a fact are not damaged, both work fine.

I have a Gigabyte GA-8N SLi mobo, it has a molex port on the mobo to power the SLi, which I have connected up, also there is a chip thing on the board which you need to flip around to enable SLi mode, I also installed the SLi bridge.

In the BIOS SLi is enable and the PCI-E clocks are set to 100MHz.

I have the latest nForce4 drivers and NVIDIA display drivers installed but shortly after SLi mode is enable the screen will occasionaly go blank, then return and after a few times of doing that the image on screen just dies.

I'm using a 350W PSU with a max load of 18A on the 12V rail. I was sure it was due to lack of power, but then I unplugged most of my devices, All that was plugged in was the power for the cards, two disk drives and an optical drive.

I unchecked the 'Enable write checking' box on Display Settings although I am unsure what this even does?

I'm running screen res of 1280x1024x32 @ 75Hz on my 20" Dell Flat Panel.

The problem seems to occur even at lower resses.

What do you guys recommend I try next, install an older driver maybe?

post #17 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 PM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 76
older drivers MAYBE (I have had good luck with the nvidia 92.91 and 91.45 version drivers, as well as good benches with the XtremeG tweaked versions of those same drivers (im using 91.45 XtremeG tweaked as we speak), but Im willing to bet not enough power now from the sounds of it.

post #18 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Alright mate, I'm gonna try older drivers as I never had flickering and dieing till these new drivers but then who's to say on those drivers although it said SLi was enabled, it actually wasn't is what I'm thinking. The PSU my dad bought the 600W was like 30 dollars wheras the 350W currently using is worth like $60? This 350W has got 18A on the 12V rail and this 600W has got 17A on the 12V. Someone said something about more recent PSUs have two 12V rails though? Whereabouts on the PSU label will it tell me if the what I'm using has two? The one I'm using is a FSP, not a very well known but good quality brand. It's like vented all one back and has a huge fan in the underneath

post #19 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Can you guys recommend some really stable yet recent drivers for me? Also you know a site which archives nvidia drivers n stuff?

post #20 of 37 Old 12-29-2006, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

anyone out there?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page