post #7401 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Since 1975!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

I just flashed sky's bios but I haven't really jumped in to overclocking my card all that much yet...

Can anyone who has followed this thread for a while tell me what the average 780 ti (reference) is capable of at max voltage? I want to gauge where I should be able to push mine to.

Average is probably 1215-1228 mhz.

You rarely see one that can't break 1202 mhz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7402 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

Average is probably 1215-1228 mhz.

You rarely see one that can't break 1202 mhz.
Thank you!

So far the only benchmark I have somewhat tested on is valley. I was able to get 1215/3600 on 1.175v but havent pushed the clocks any further on that voltage. Ill do some more stressful testing soon.

post #7403 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Back Soon

Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1985 View Post

But my Asus card does not have the reference board design. Some reviews on the web say that this card has pretty decent VRM-cooling/mem-cooling, allthough it seems kind of weak in the pictures.

If i decide to go EVGA 780Ti SC with a blower cooler, i should get more performance overall.

Oh well, i have 14 days to make up my mind..

BTW, when i'm already maxed out @ 1150mhz(boost) it feels like i won't be getting much higher with Skyn3t's bios, i would only be able to over volt 0.03V or 30mV. What do you think?

So you must have a DCUII card, as the reference (one blower cooler) is classic PCB shared with Titan/780/780Ti, if you get the reference 780Ti you'll get the same VRM's, inheriting the same [R33] inductor problems! Normally no, unless your card is restricted by PT limit (hitting 106% all the time you game or bench, the card will down clock) then the modded bios will free it and will get higher clocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

What caused it? High temperatures?

With mining and folding you load the card to the MAX, some reported 200% power draw with low voltage, getting the card close to the max 60A per phase, the resulting heat over extended periods of time will slowly "cook" some more fragile components (that you wont find easily in the non-reference cards)

Have a read from one of my articles:

"Exactly what happens depends on how excess the power is. It may be a sustained cooking. In this case, the MOSFET gets hot enough to literally unsolder itself. Much of the MOSFET heating at high currents is in the leads - which can quite easily unsolder themselves without the MOSFET failing! If the heat is generated in the chip, then it will get hot - but its maximum temperature is usually not silicon-restricted, but restricted by the fabrication. The silicon chip is bonded to the substrate by soft solder and it is quite easy to melt this and have it ooze between the epoxy and the metal of the body, forming solder droplets! Excess heat leads to short circuit! Usually, a MOSFET will fail short first. This is because excessive heat will, by diffusion, mix the dopants enough to create a good conductor instead of the p-n or n-p barriers that were there originally. Often, the gate oxide will be taken into the diffusion, too, causing a short between all three terminals.
Only if the short circuit current after this first mode of failure is high enough to blow the bond wires or the entire transistor, there is an open circuit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

aah, found the post. I hadn't even noticed you'd gotten your card, enjoying it? Just checked my VRM and GPU-Z is reporting 44 degrees and Core @ 38 degrees (HWInfo agrees). Getting ~240K PPD from a 8900 unit which is nice.

So I can't find people blowing cards from folding but mining seems to be the key word, I have no idea how they'd differ though (don't do mining myself). No warnings at EVGA and they've got a folding section/team nor anything in the folding area here.

From folding i got only one report and was a Titan, not a 780Ti but the burn was in the exactly same place as the dead mining cards, the [R33] memory inductor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo View Post

Hi guys.
I am currently an ex- owner of Gigabyte GTX 780 ti Windforce which RMA`ed two times in a row because of displayed artifacts and rattling fans but i liked them clock. Now I wonder if not tempted to MSI gtx 780 ti gaming because I heard many good opinion about them and they have same clocks as Gigabyte cards. After some reserch I realised that the only review`s version cards have higher clocks bios version than reatilers cards, so in my opinion this MSI policy is strange and bit unfair towards customers . My question is whether you can easily flash consumer bios version 980/1046mhz version....2C up to reviewing bios...30 version 1020/1085mhz..Please for your advice and sorry for my english witch is not perfrect but I`ve tried my best.

Normally some "sponsored" reviewers get golden samples to review that go higher clocks than the retail cards, that's why i don't trust any site for any review, just go there to see the overall picture!
I rather trust in the OCN members with their feedback! thumb.gif
Any card you buy from any brand could be a bad card or a good card, its always a gamble, the silicon lottery!
Yes its easy to flash a bios, you have EZ3flash in my SIG and my guide on how to flash!
If your name implies your language, feel free to PM me in spanish if you run into problems as i speak a few languages! thumb.gif

Cheers

Ed

(Team skyn3t)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7404 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 AM

Liked: 26
Thanks for the info. I have been eyeing a EVGA 780 TI SC ACX, but it sounds like I should shell out the extra $50 to get the Classified so I don't risk burning up the card folding? If I read this all right. At first I thought you were saying that the reference cards don't have the VRM problem, but now I see that you said they do, but it seems even the non-reference have the issue too from what someone said. I'd hate to put out all the money to kill it a month later folding. I haven't looked at the Classy because I wasn't concerned about benching.
post #7405 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 22
post #7406 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Liked: 0
I game at 1256 which is +208 to core and +250 to mem, very stable. My bench is 1280 which is +234 and+500 to mem. Firestrike ext score 10083! just broke 10k this morning!
post #7407 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 AM

I need advise on water cooling please. I have a corsair540 air case and 780tis in 2xsli I would like to do a custom loop for the gpus but have nevr looked into it before, could yall sugest good components that will fit w\o modding into my case? Ive heard ek blocks are best for 780tis but what about fittings and a rad and pump, any help would be appreciated! thanks.
post #7408 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

I just flashed sky's bios but I haven't really jumped in to overclocking my card all that much yet...

Can anyone who has followed this thread for a while tell me what the average 780 ti (reference) is capable of at max voltage? I want to gauge where I should be able to push mine to.
post #7409 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Back Soon

Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdaimon View Post

Thanks for the info. I have been eyeing a EVGA 780 TI SC ACX, but it sounds like I should shell out the extra $50 to get the Classified so I don't risk burning up the card folding? If I read this all right. At first I thought you were saying that the reference cards don't have the VRM problem, but now I see that you said they do, but it seems even the non-reference have the issue too from what someone said. I'd hate to put out all the money to kill it a month later folding. I haven't looked at the Classy because I wasn't concerned about benching.

No, there is not any problem with the reference VRM's, they just cant stand too much stress and heat, these cards are just not made for mining that's all, they do quite good up to 1,350V with regular gaming (there was only a Titan burned with 1.380V and was doing very heavy benching) but benching and mining pose a very different load and heat and then there will be repercussions! AFAIK there was no non-reference card killed with mining, all the cards blown by mining were all reference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banedox View Post

Cheers on that post OccamRazor!

thumb.gif

Cheers

Ed

(Team skyn3t)
post #7410 of 16504 Old 02-13-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccamRazor View Post

Normally some "sponsored" reviewers get golden samples to review that go higher clocks than the retail cards, that's why i don't trust any site for any review, just go there to see the overall picture!
I rather trust in the OCN members with their feedback! thumb.gif
Any card you buy from any brand could be a bad card or a good card, its always a gamble, the silicon lottery!
Yes its easy to flash a bios, you have EZ3flash in my SIG and my guide on how to flash!
If your name implies your language, feel free to PM me in spanish if you run into problems as i speak a few languages! thumb.gif

Cheers

Ed

(Team skyn3t)

Thanks for your replay.
Unfortunately my native language is not spanish Im Polish so we have to keep conversation in english.I have another doubt before switching between Windforce 3x on Msi gaming.Gigabyte has 8+2 phase VRM and Msi has refernce 6+2phase VRM .What is differnce in practice about stability If I would flash bios a MSI card up to 1020/1085mhz?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page