HOWTO: nVidia BIOS Flashing - Page 47 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #461 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 AM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafarataneneces View Post
You can convert a GTX 465 to a GTX 470
Not only is that very vague, it's also very wrong... You can't "convert" a 465 to a 470, you can increase the default clock speeds to match a 470, but you can't use a BIOS update to give the 465 the 96 extra CUDA cores that the 470 has. Not only that, but the 465 has a 256-bit memory interface, while the 470 has a 320-bit interface.

Get your facts straight please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante. View Post
Except Core/Mem speeds and Fan Speeds that we set is their any other benefits from flashing BIOS of our VGA's?
Mainly i mean unlocking pipelines etc?
Just like BIOS updates to motherboards, if a manufacturer finds a more efficient way to manage the GPU resources, and they apply those fixes to a new BIOS. For the most part those type of changes are made in the drivers, but not always.

Other than an official BIOS flash, you can also use BIOS editors to set the default clock speeds / fan speed / voltages directly in the BIOS. Basic idea here is a permanent overclock, so if the settings revert to 'default' for some reason, they'll end up reverting to the defaults that you set.

Hope that helps a bit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWin go_quote.gif
Well.. a girl is a guy that had a couple parts sergically disabled at birth because one of the cores couldn't run stable. Some people have tried to re-enable them.. but it never works right.
ZaLiTH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #462 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
333mhz
 
rafarataneneces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Not only is that very vague, it's also very wrong... You can't "convert" a 465 to a 470, you can increase the default clock speeds to match a 470, but you can't use a BIOS update to give the 465 the 96 extra CUDA cores that the 470 has. Not only that, but the 465 has a 256-bit memory interface, while the 470 has a 320-bit interface.

Get your facts straight please...


Just like BIOS updates to motherboards, if a manufacturer finds a more efficient way to manage the GPU resources, and they apply those fixes to a new BIOS. For the most part those type of changes are made in the drivers, but not always.

Other than an official BIOS flash, you can also use BIOS editors to set the default clock speeds / fan speed / voltages directly in the BIOS. Basic idea here is a permanent overclock, so if the settings revert to 'default' for some reason, they'll end up reverting to the defaults that you set.

Hope that helps a bit..
Hey dude
YOU GET YOUR FACTS straight ok?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=253063

you argue with me for a technicality, for a word

I really said what I think, you can't 'convert', that's just stupid, but you can UNLOCK the other 96 CUDA cores

ok?
happy with the word I used now?

the Nvidia graphic card needs 10 memory ram chips in order to be able to unlock
rafarataneneces is offline  
post #463 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 AM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafarataneneces View Post
Hey dude
YOU GET YOUR FACTS straight ok?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=253063

you argue with me for a technicality, for a word

I really said what I think, you can't 'convert', that's just stupid, but you can UNLOCK the other 96 CUDA cores

ok?
happy with the word I used now?

the Nvidia graphic card needs 10 memory ram chips in order to be able to unlock
For the sake of all the people who don't know the finer details, you should've said that in the first place... Or at the very least post proof when you make statements like that.

Especially considering the fact that you posted that comment in response to someone who didn't understand the purpose of flashing a graphics card BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWin go_quote.gif
Well.. a girl is a guy that had a couple parts sergically disabled at birth because one of the cores couldn't run stable. Some people have tried to re-enable them.. but it never works right.
ZaLiTH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #464 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
333mhz
 
rafarataneneces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
For the sake of all the people who don't know the finer details, you should've said that in the first place... Or at the very least post proof when you make statements like that.

Especially considering the fact that you posted that comment in response to someone who didn't understand the purpose of flashing a graphics card BIOS.
Well when you say
"get your facts straight", dude you DESTROY the whole idea of growing up as a community

I consider myself a very intelligent person due to the fact that I learn and grow from others, Internet boards and forums are always a good way to learn, and grow

so when you say "get your facts straight", you make me feel like this is a place where you should be an expert BEFORE asking the question

If I would be a wise man that knows EVERYTHING I will never ever use forums, so let's just leave it as that

Anyway, back to the question

Flashing the bios has some benefits
1) have a stable card with good clocks
this helped me eliminate flickering when overclocking

I was able to have a constant speed, and that helped my GT 240 perform so well I am playing Mafia II and Starcraft II (games that came out in the last 2 months), at 1920x1080. I am playing Starcraft II with all resolutions to the max. I am playing Mafia II with PhysX set to the MAX
I believe flashing the BIOS helped a great deal because my card is not powerful enough to display good frame rates when Nvidia's BIOS automatically downclocks it to 150 Mhz

2) overclocking a card permanently
I might flash my card again so I won't even need to run MSI Afterburner 24/7

3) Unlocking the card
buy a MSI GTX 465 Twin FrozR GE, and you will have 96 extra cores and 40% more performance
rafarataneneces is offline  
post #465 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 AM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafarataneneces View Post
Well when you say
"get your facts straight", dude you DESTROY the whole idea of growing up as a community

I consider myself a very intelligent person due to the fact that I learn and grow from others, Internet boards and forums are always a good way to learn, and grow
How can anybody else "learn and grow from others", as you say, from a post like that? All I'm trying to say is that when you post a comment like that, especially in response to someone who doesn't know, give them some information to back it up.

I'll be honest, I didn't know that the BIOS update would or could unlock the extra CUDA cores, so I've learnt something new from you today.. But only after your second reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafarataneneces View Post
so when you say "get your facts straight", you make me feel like this is a place where you should be an expert BEFORE asking the question

If I would be a wise man that knows EVERYTHING I will never ever use forums, so let's just leave it as that
The whole point of a forum is to connect people that do know with people that don't, and to share experience and knowledge. So knowing everything and staying out of forums would make the idea forums pretty pointless..

A correct statement put across in an unclear way can and does mislead people who don't know enough about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWin go_quote.gif
Well.. a girl is a guy that had a couple parts sergically disabled at birth because one of the cores couldn't run stable. Some people have tried to re-enable them.. but it never works right.
ZaLiTH is offline  
post #466 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Commodore 64
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Serbia
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post

Just like BIOS updates to motherboards, if a manufacturer finds a more efficient way to manage the GPU resources, and they apply those fixes to a new BIOS. For the most part those type of changes are made in the drivers, but not always.

Other than an official BIOS flash, you can also use BIOS editors to set the default clock speeds / fan speed / voltages directly in the BIOS. Basic idea here is a permanent overclock, so if the settings revert to 'default' for some reason, they'll end up reverting to the defaults that you set.

Hope that helps a bit..
Thats what i wanted to know, cheers man

A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
dante. is offline  
post #467 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 AM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante. View Post
Thats what i wanted to know, cheers man
Sure thing, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWin go_quote.gif
Well.. a girl is a guy that had a couple parts sergically disabled at birth because one of the cores couldn't run stable. Some people have tried to re-enable them.. but it never works right.
ZaLiTH is offline  
post #468 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM
333mhz
 
rafarataneneces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is the place where you can learn how to convert your GTX 465 to GTX 470

http://translate.google.com/translat...70&sl=ro&tl=en

haha

I KNOW I used the word convert, haha, whatever, convert, unlock, you get the point.

I know it's physically impossible to CONVERT one card to another, but I used that term on purpose because I am so excited that there is a procedure to unlock this card, so I used the word convert

Here you can download the stuff you need to unlock the card:

http://depositfiles.com/files/6bm94rf3t

http://lab501.ro/wp-content/uploads/...465_Unlock.zip

I asked in another forum here at Overclock.net and the MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr Golden Edition, the Point of View GeForce GTX 465 I ask and PNY (brown PCB)

they need 10 memory RAM chips because if they don't have that there is no point of unlocking them
rafarataneneces is offline  
post #469 of 507 Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
=PC Gamer=
 
USFORCES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: IN, Abox
Posts: 8,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty88 View Post
Does this process work for 465 flashing? It seems similar but not the same.
This works for 4xx cards also but you have to use nvflash 5.95...
USFORCES is offline  
post #470 of 507 Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Audiophile
 
koven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 5,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 204
what needs to be on my usb drive to do this w/ windows 7 x64?

i extracted nvflash on the usb, and put my new rom and my original rom

what else do i need?

sandy bridge » pics
┌ 2600K · TP67XE · 570 SC · AX750 · 700D · Ripjaws X · C300 · ZR24W
┌ EK HF · EK FC · RX360 · Scythe GT · FrozenQ · PrimoFlex · Bitspower
koven is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off