Shunt mod to unlock power limitations on EVGA 970 SC? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I know the silicon can clock higher but due to voltage and power limitations, it will hardly stay above 1400mhz without throttling (Perfcap Reason = Pwr) according to GPU-z.

The card is hardware voltage locked at 1.212v it seems, and though it is rated for >300w with a custom BIOS , there is no reliable way to monitor the wattage while under load. But it seems the BIOS mod is having no effect.

Fact of the matter is the card can't overclock for ****, and I heard a shunt resistor mod can unlock power limitations. Wondering if anyone has had any success with doing that and if there is a proper tutorial anywhere online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 84
There is a shunt mod, aka also know as silver pen method.

I have the link somewhere as I plan to do this to my 980STRIX that is hard lock at 1.212v.

Found the link.

http://overclocking.guide/increase-the-nvidia-power-limit-all-cards/3/

I'm just a crazy nutty gal that likes computer hardware.

Certs (Click to show)
Security +
Associates CS degree.
Studying for HAM Radio Technician license.
Working on ALS and gaining CCAF degree (6 credits to go).
Onwards for a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering.

Chimp Challenge Participant  250 Million Folding Points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x3  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #3 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to find 3x 5mOHM shunts. Two on the back side near the 6 pin power connectors and the other one on the inside near the PCI-e fingers.....I think just short the 2x power connector shunts is the way to go or do all 3?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM

Liked: 24
No reason to do the shunts.. just mod your bios.. much easier and can get away with warranty stuff.

Bios mod should work... You don't really need voltage.. Only the power mod and you should be fine.

If you want .. PM me and Ill mod a bios for you.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 01:33 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 84
He already stated that he has tried a custom BIOS. By the sounds of it he has a hardware locked card. Certain of the 9XX series are locked at the hardware level and usually the only way to trick it is to short the shunts.

I know a peep over in the folder section has done this. I can try to get with them and direct them to this thread.

I'm just a crazy nutty gal that likes computer hardware.

Certs (Click to show)
Security +
Associates CS degree.
Studying for HAM Radio Technician license.
Working on ALS and gaining CCAF degree (6 credits to go).
Onwards for a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering.

Chimp Challenge Participant  250 Million Folding Points  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x3  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #6 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well apparently 320w TDP from Mr Dark's bios was just not enough......I put the TDP and power limit tables up to 380w and low and behold I am almost stable at my 1505mhz OC, throttling(Perfcap reason: Pwr) only to 1493mhz, where as before it go as low as 1360mhz something.....seems like an excessive amount of power for a 970, I'm not even sure how 2x 6 pins and the slot are feeding that(or if it even is demanding all that wattage), but whatever works. Max temps 85C...this card sucks compared to my MSI 100me 960, but it is way faster at 1440p 144hz
post #7 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 172
As someone who has personally done the "shunt resistor mod" on my 970 SSC: It's not going to get you past your voltage limitations, nor will it void your warranty (it comes completely off with alcohol). Your results may vary, but that is my experience with this "mod". thumb.gif

If you're going to do it, do all 3 resistors.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

gftgy: "We're here to help, but you have to be willing to help yourself."

TwoCables: "I apologize for not simply giving you the answer you wanted, but if you give a man a fish, then you feed him for a day. However, if you teach a man how to fish, then you feed him for the rest of his life."

post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not soldering my board, that's way to risky and I do not have the conductive paste, however I did try putting some short pieces of speaker wire across the shunts and taping them down...I did not see any improvement
post #9 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzop View Post

I'm not soldering my board, that's way to risky and I do not have the conductive paste, however I did try putting some short pieces of speaker wire across the shunts and taping them down...I did not see any improvement

If you don't have anything like CLU/CLP on-hand, then I wouldn't advise getting it just to apply it to the resistors - its not worth it. I'm with you on that, I wouldn't solder anything to my 970 either.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

gftgy: "We're here to help, but you have to be willing to help yourself."

TwoCables: "I apologize for not simply giving you the answer you wanted, but if you give a man a fish, then you feed him for a day. However, if you teach a man how to fish, then you feed him for the rest of his life."

post #10 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM

Liked: 24
Send me your bios and I'll take a look at it.. I've done both the mods much more than most people.. we can really see if it's a hardware issue. I don't see evga putting that extra protection.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page