Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 09:38 AM
News Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 166
option 2 biggrin.gifthumb.gif

There are 2 kinds of people I really admire in this world. Ones that say they are going to do something and do it! And ones that do something, and then say they have done it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 09:42 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiscuit68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

I recommend option 1. The RX 480 will still do a good job.
Option 2 is an illusion: The GTX 780 Ti is 3 years old. Good luck getting anything more than 200 for that card now.
Option 3 seems like a high risk, as in: AMD is going to kick Nvidia is the nuts with their current pricing. I expect the 1080 to drop to 450-500 new, if not less.

That said, don't return the 1080: flip it on Ebay for a profit.

Don't give in to nGreedia's scam. It only makes it worse. The only reason they can use this bad business practices is because people still buy their cards.

eBay =/= profit

After tax, this was about $730. I would need to sell it for $832 just to break even (not including shipping) considering the 10% fees ebay charges and the 3-4% paypal charges. Ebay is horrible...you want to talk about greed...

The difference is one fool who really wants to buy a card versus a lot of fools who allow Nvidia to take scram-grade prices.
That said, I forgot about the Ebay fees - just return it in that case.

Or, keep it, and whine (like most 1080 buyers - just look at the 980 and 980 Ti drama. And that was without decent AMD cards rolleyes.gif) when Vega and Big Pascal show up.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Liked: 23
I would get a 480. You could save $400 bucks now and put that away for the 1080Ti or Vega- Heck you could wait for Volta! The 480 won't lose much value in the next 12-18 months where the 1080 is gonna take a huge dump when the 480 comes out and even worse when the TI and Vega come out.

My opinion of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 18
Quote:

The difference is one fool who really wants to buy a card versus a lot of fools who allow Nvidia to take scram-grade prices.

Or, keep it, and whine (like most 1080 buyers - just look at the 980 and 980 Ti drama. And that was without decent AMD cards rolleyes.gif) when Vega and Big Pascal show up.

If I keep it, I wouldn't whine when a more powerful, more expensive (or even equally expensive considering timing) card comes out 8 months later. That makes no sense. Why would I whine about that?

post #15 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 190
Quote:

Quote:

If I keep it, I wouldn't whine when a more powerful, more expensive (or even equally expensive considering timing) card comes out 8 months later. That makes no sense. Why would I whine about that?

If you put it that way, you're correct.

What you forgot to include, is that you paid the enthusiast price for a high-end product and are then asked to pay a higher-than-enthusiast price for the enthusiast product that was held back on purpose to justify the overpriced high-end product. (That said, the small should be medium-to-high-end, not full high-end. We're talking a GTX 560 Ti-grade die here).

As a consumer, I would feel ripped off. And that's not mentioning all the rest of the questionable business practices (lack of driver optimisation after launch - or even cripple. This still isn't clear. Purposely creating libraries that cripple performance on anything but the latest green tech etc). Nvidia's business practices are a cancer for the industry. And instead of letting that cancer starve, people feed it even more by buying their products.

That you screw yourself over, is perfectly fine by me. The annoying thing is that you ALSO screw over the rest of the consumer base...
post #16 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post

I would get a 480. You could save $400 bucks now and put that away for the 1080Ti or Vega- Heck you could wait for Volta! The 480 won't lose much value in the next 12-18 months where the 1080 is gonna take a huge dump when the 480 comes out and even worse when the TI and Vega come out.

My opinion of course.

This is the exact problem...

If I plan to get Vega/Ti, then I should just get the 480x...
If I am content with the GTX 1080, I should keep it...

How much longer would HBM2 + the asynchronous compute + added performance of Vega/Ti really last me in 1440p vs. GTX 1080? Another half cycle? Instead of needing to upgrade in 2018 spring, I would need to upgrade 2018 winter (timing is not real, just illustrating my point)?

post #17 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:

If you put it that way, you're correct.

What you forgot to include, is that you paid the enthusiast price for a high-end product and are then asked to pay a higher-than-enthusiast price for the enthusiast product that was held back on purpose to justify the overpriced high-end product. (That said, the small should be medium-to-high-end, not full high-end. We're talking a GTX 560 Ti-grade die here).

As a consumer, I would feel ripped off. And that's not mentioning all the rest of the questionable business practices (lack of driver optimisation after launch - or even cripple. This still isn't clear. Purposely creating libraries that cripple performance on anything but the latest green tech etc). Nvidia's business practices are a cancer for the industry. And instead of letting that cancer starve, people feed it even more by buying their products.

That you screw yourself over, is perfectly fine by me. The annoying thing is that you ALSO screw over the rest of the consumer base...

If AMD put out a card that got 80+ fps in 1440p across 95% of titles out right now at the same price or less than the GTX 1080...then I would go with them...

But your complaint is like whining about Comcast charging high prices all the while you are using the 100mbps internet from Comcast even though there is a 12mbps option from CenturyLink that you refuse to use because...it is too slow...
It is simply the way business works. I want 80+ fps in 95% of games on ultra @ 1440p. NVIDIA is the only one who offers that at this time.

post #18 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 AM

Liked: 1536
Quote:

How much longer would HBM2 + the asynchronous compute + added performance of Vega/Ti really last me in 1440p vs. GTX 1080? Another half cycle? Instead of needing to upgrade in 2018 spring, I would need to upgrade 2018 winter (timing is not real, just illustrating my point)?
that is totally dependent on how good performs each card but usually it migh be 30-40% faster while using around 100w more, and costs (for Vega) around 650-700usd

getting a 1080 isnt worth especially since it isnt the high end Paxwell GPU

post #19 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 314
Get the RX 480 for the interim. By the time you know it'll be 2017 and Vega will be knocking at the door.

post #20 of 28 Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Liked: 66
Quote:

Says the guy rocking Nvidia cards?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page