980Ti Waterforce or 1070 G1? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, apologies if there is already a thread I should be adding to however I have a specific buy case so I didn't want to hijack another thread.

My mate is looking at buying a 1070, probably the GIGABYTE G1 edition for $779 AU, however I noticed on the same site that they are advertising a GIGABYTE 980Ti Waterforce edition for $799 AU. My question is, would it be worth going for the new hardware at a lower-end model or for the old hardware and the high-end model?

So far as usage goes, he's entertaining the idea of getting a HTC VIVE but by getting a new card I think he's pushed that back a couple years anyway. Also playing in 1080p 144Hz and dual-monitor, so either card will handle the load very well.

"Those who wish to play the game have but to stop and shout."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 PM

Liked: 180
No question, the 1070 is better performance and cheaper. Plus single pass stereo and simultanious multi-projection being implemented in VR games will increase performance, and Nvidia isn't going to have this feature on cards outside the GTX 1000 series.
MrDerrikk likes this.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

So you don't see the much better cooling and possibly better gauntlet sorting as enough positive to outweigh the current/future benefits of the G1?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM

Liked: 55
Thing is the 1000 series cards dont really get so nasty hot that going for the aio coolers would be worth it, if ur buying now go for 1070 with a decent cooler palit jetstreams are nice so are msi gaming ones.
MrDerrikk likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2016, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
*cough* Stock *cough*

Thanks guys, +repped.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Meeeeow!

Liked: 428
I'd recommend getting a custom AIB cooler GTX 1070. You'll have to do some research though on which ones are worthy of your money.

I very strongly recommend the GTX 1070 for another reason - long term drivers. After Maxwell came out, Kepler's performance made significant losses relative to Maxwell and AMD's Hawaii. Right now, with Pascal out, I'm expecting the same with Maxwell relative to AMD's Hawaii and Fiji, along with Pascal. So the performance today of the GTX 1070 versus the 980Ti might over time go in favor of the GTX 1070 more so.

The only other option is to wait for AMD's Vega, which will be in Q4 2016. The advantage might be that AMD's cards have been aging better (due to their hardware scheduler and the GCN architecture). The drawback will be the wait and no assurance of superior AMD performance (although I expect it to win at DX12 by a noticeable margin).

Good luck. Like the CAD$, the AUD$ has been quite weak compared to the USD, making hardware purchases quite costly.

Last edited by RicardoJoa; 06-27-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page