Artifacts? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
1.7ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys im curious. If ATI tool finds artifacts, what does this translate to in actual game visual/performance. Big deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Luck++

Liked: 417
Artifacts don't adversely affect performance. However, artifacts are glitches made by the GPU and if a GPU is artifacting it may lead to damage to continue running at at the clocks and/or conditions causing the artifact. Artifacts themselves can be defined as visual glitches caused by the GPU itself and not the software in question. If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask.
Zeromark likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
1.7ghz

Liked: 4
thanks man, so when you say glitches lets say im gaming, will it freeze for a few frames or what kinda stuff happens do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromark View Post
thanks man, so when you say glitches lets say im gaming, will it freeze for a few frames or what kinda stuff happens do you think?
The picture will freak out. It's different for each game and video card, but, for isntance, in WoW, the colors got all bright, and giant shards of the screen would move around and flicker in and out. It's really, REALLY, obvious when you have in-game artifacting, don't worry. You'll know it when you see it. It's kind of an "oh ****" moment.
Zeromark likes this.

Quote:
Wondering what Distro to use for Linux? Check out the ULTIMATE DISTRO GUIDE:

http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/...tro-guide.html

grouphug.gif

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..." ~Isaac Asimov
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM
8200RPM HDD Overclockz!

Liked: 236
Yep, nothing more than visual discrepancies in games. Sometimes slight, sometimes very obvious. Often times when you have small artifacts in ATI Tool, you usually won't see any in-game.

As licht said though, running at clockspeeds that generate ANY artifacts could prove to shorten the life of your card. The memory degrades quickly (or supposedly does, take it with a grain of salt) when it is artifacting.
Zeromark likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

Liked: 41
Artifacting is scary, but it ussally dosnt do anything 'horrible', ive had several artifacts in halo 2 vista, the screen disorted, and i freaked.

but yes, artifacts are something you do not want to have.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 34
Pertinent to the original post, every so often I get pink and black checker patterns on things like gun skins and glass when playing Counter Strike: Source. Is this considered artifacting (the GPU's fault, not that of the game)? Does anyone else get this? It happens whether my my card is OCed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooping^fish go_quote.gif
...Dood thise wuld b sik en mi p4 ht (duel caor) nd et mkz my megihertz lyk 29300900billionz and den aye kan haz teh entrawebz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwat go_quote.gif
...he is mad becuz i tell teacher , he have play on the swing with me , and he pull his pencil out , stab me in my front , i was bleed everywere and i go at the nurse , and this time i dont tell on him , cuz i dont want another stab.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHerc View Post
Pertinent to the original post, every so often I get pink and black checker patterns on things like gun skins and glass when playing Counter Strike: Source. Is this considered artifacting (the GPU's fault, not that of the game)? Does anyone else get this? It happens whether my my card is OCed or not.
Sounds like a corrupted install to me...

could be a number of things though, including artifacting.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
god loves ugly

Liked: 266
Quote:
I get it when I alt+tab out of the game frequently, it's nothing to be too concerned with, it can be fixed by alt+tabbing again, or re-opening the game. It happens very frequently for me on de_dust2, in B Tunnels.

Edit: To be more specific, it's the fault of the Source engine, that black and purple texture is the "missing texture" texture.
BabyHerc likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
333mhz

Liked: 2
Quote:
As mentioned already, that's a problem with the engine. AFAIK textures just 'vanish' from the cards memory, it just forgets what it's supposed to be like. It is often caused by leaving the game, or sometimes the textures don't fully load when starting a game.

It's nothing to worry about, I think it can be helped by re-installing steam and/or the game but unless it does it on every-single-game, I'd just try not to leave the game while loading or playing.

[Edit] Oh and yes, I am getting paid to include the word 'game' as often as possible. I'm going to be rich!
BabyHerc likes this.

I'm an AMD/nVidia fanboy at heart; using Intel/ATi hardware.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page