post #2071 of 3476 Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
What an Awesome Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimmyK View Post

S3D and wide-screen gaming are extremely niche market. It accounts for what, 1-5% of all users? Yet it probably requires a significant number of man/hours in dev and testing for game studio to implement proper support for both. Unfortunately, in most cases it's just cost/expected return thing. Sadly, this is reality. Until we see wider adoption of 3D and surround/eyefinity, I'm afraid things will stay the same.

Spot on. It sux though as it is something so great.

When playing a game in 3D if it is done brilliantly the pleasure is 10 times better than playing that game in 2D.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3476 Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
5906x1080

Liked: 786
Quote:

S3D and wide-screen gaming are extremely niche market. It accounts for what, 1-5% of all users? Yet it probably requires a significant number of man/hours in dev and testing for game studio to implement proper support for both. Unfortunately, in most cases it's just cost/expected return thing. Sadly, this is reality. Until we see wider adoption of 3D and surround/eyefinity, I'm afraid things will stay the same.

Hello mate smile.gif

That's all well and good! But when the game can be fixed so easily with 3rd party apps like Wide screen fixer, it seems more like lack of effort than anything else thinking.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Spot on. It sux though as it is something so great.

When playing a game in 3D if it is done brilliantly the pleasure is 10 times better than playing that game in 2D.

Just giving us the option to turn off name tags and crap would do, most of the time for 3D smile.gif
post #2073 of 3476 Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

Hello mate smile.gif
That's all well and good! But when the game can be fixed so easily with 3rd party apps like Wide screen fixer, it seems more like lack of effort than anything else thinking.gif
Just giving us the option to turn off name tags and crap would do, most of the time for 3D smile.gif

Hey ACHILEE5 smile.gif How are you?

I'm afraid it's not that simple, although I completely agree with your point. I work in pretty big software shop (web applications, .NET platform), and there are certain SDLC rules to be followed, if software officially supports the feature. Business analysts need to write documentation covering all possible scenarios. Even if it takes 2 lines of code for developer to make it work, there are unit tests to be performed on top of that. Sometimes devs are required to write an automated testing routines that call the code and assert for proper responses in several preset scenarios. Then there is whole software config management team responsible for creation of release candidate builds. Then there is regression testing done by quality assurance team. Then there are possible bug fixes, which kinda starts the cycle from the beginning, sans the documentation part. Then there is certification procedure. Those are just basic steps.

I can imagine that unless the game is produced by 2 friends in their mother's garage, the dev studio has some kind of similar process for releasing the software. They can't just go change 1 thing and say "oh, look, it works now. That was easy". Probably something along these lines:

Weekly meeting in the biggest conf room in the office.

[Lead dev]: Look, we can officially support widescreen resolutions in our engine. All we have to do is change our code here and here.
[Project manager]: How much time?
[Lead dev]: 2 days of development.
[QA Lead]: 2 weeks of testing.
[BA Lead]: Wait, we need to rewrite and approve changes to documentation.
[Project manager]: Hey, dev lead, did our publisher ask for this?
[Dev lead]: No, I thought it's a neat feature we can do, and it's really easy to do it.
[Project manager]: Screw that, we're already 3 weeks behind the schedule. We'll do it next time.

And next time they are behind the schedule again... So the whole thing repeats itself.

I am of course exaggerating a little, but just a tiny bit biggrin.gif
ACHILEE5 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 3476 Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
5906x1080

Quote:

Hey ACHILEE5 smile.gif How are you? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm afraid it's not that simple, although I completely agree with your point. I work in pretty big software shop (web applications, .NET platform), and there are certain SDLC rules to be followed, if software officially supports the feature. Business analysts need to write documentation covering all possible scenarios. Even if it takes 2 lines of code for developer to make it work, there are unit tests to be performed on top of that. Sometimes devs are required to write an automated testing routines that call the code and assert for proper responses in several preset scenarios. Then there is whole software config management team responsible for creation of release candidate builds. Then there is regression testing done by quality assurance team. Then there are possible bug fixes, which kinda starts the cycle from the beginning, sans the documentation part. Then there is certification procedure. Those are just basic steps.
I can imagine that unless the game is produced by 2 friends in their mother's garage, the dev studio has some kind of similar process for releasing the software. They can't just go change 1 thing and say "oh, look, it works now. That was easy". Probably something along these lines:
Weekly meeting in the biggest conf room in the office.
[Lead dev]: Look, we can officially support widescreen resolutions in our engine. All we have to do is change our code here and here.
[Project manager]: How much time?
[Lead dev]: 2 days of development.
[QA Lead]: 2 weeks of testing.
[BA Lead]: Wait, we need to rewrite and approve changes to documentation.
[Project manager]: Hey, dev lead, did our publisher ask for this?
[Dev lead]: No, I thought it's a neat feature we can do, and it's really easy to do it.
[Project manager]: Screw that, we're already 3 weeks behind the schedule. We'll do it next time.
And next time they are behind the schedule again... So the whole thing repeats itself.
I am of course exaggerating a little, but just a tiny bit biggrin.gif

I'm good buddy thumb.gif
And thanks, that all makes perfect sense!
Rep+ I just learned something smile.gif
post #2075 of 3476 Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

Hello mate smile.gif

Undoubtedly the number 1 problem with 3D **BY FAR** has been 2D name plates, quest markers etc.

probably 75% of the games I play would be PERFECT in 3D if not for this issue.

post #2076 of 3476 Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
1.3ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SE7EN- View Post

Ive seen alot of problems people have had with d3 in 3d vision.. however, i personally found a good setting that seemed to have minimal problems, at least in town (no double cursor). when i was in a dungeon, and there was movement, it became more obvious that it was not very good. the shadows were terribly placed, sometimes a good 2-3 inches (27inch monitor) from my character. fixing the settings to make the shadows display correctly left other issues with most other objects.
i'd recommend somehow disabling shadows and then trying to get it customized for your view. there may be other issues that i didnt notice though, i only had it on for @5 minutes just to check it out.

The other option is to turn depth to the minimum value -- then turn up the convergence as high as you can.
iARDAs likes this.

post #2077 of 3476 Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
What an Awesome Guy

Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulLover View Post

The other option is to turn depth to the minimum value -- then turn up the convergence as high as you can.

This solves lots of 3D issues to be honest. But does not give the best 3D experience.

+rep for mentioning this method to others.

post #2078 of 3476 Old 05-19-2012, 04:20 PM
1.3ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

This solves lots of 3D issues to be honest. But does not give the best 3D experience.

+rep for mentioning this method to others.

Yes it's certainly not ideal.

But it solves basically all 2d nameplate issues, as well as all shadow / lightning issues; while also providing and overall better 3D experience. For me personally, I really can't turn off shadows and dynamic lightning and be satisfied. In fact I find that things like ambient occlusion and dynamic lights as well as shadows greatly enhance the 3D experience,

Realistic shadows and lights give scenes a more realistic sense of depth, and I find this translates well to 3D vision.

post #2079 of 3476 Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 48
Went to an airshow today and snapped some picks with my w3 if anyones interested..
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7da93fu676hhb6j/Air_show_2012.rar
ACHILEE5 and JCG like this.
post #2080 of 3476 Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
5906x1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by emett View Post

Went to an airshow today and snapped some picks with my w3 if anyones interested..
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7da93fu676hhb6j/Air_show_2012.rar

Excellent stuff bud thumb.gif
I'm going to have to get and take some more 3D photos smile.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page