Performance Increase? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
Some_Idiot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lozz Anjaleze
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 203
How much of a performance increase should I expect when I upgrade to a 7800GT or x1800XL? How much of a step up from my 16/6 6800GS would these cards be? (Only reason why I may get the XL is for ATI's superb AA renderation compared to nVidia's crappy AA renderation.)
Some_Idiot2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:09 PM
4.0ghz
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Big difference.
tweako_420 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
Some_Idiot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lozz Anjaleze
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweako_420
HUH Nvidias crappy AA?
I dont get it?
Um, ATI AA is much better than nVidia AA, I know this because I upgraded from an x850 XTPE, and I thought there was something wrong with my video card when I tried to pump the AA up in CS;S, nVidia AA isn't as good looking as ATI AA, it is a FACT.
But get back on topic, please.
Some_Idiot2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
Some_Idiot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lozz Anjaleze
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweako_420
Big difference.
Be more specific please.
Some_Idiot2 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Retired Staff
 
r3tard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Benchmarks have shown if you up the voltage on GS' and overclock 'em to poop they can actually match 7800's in benchies. So not much? Well not enough to actually give a valid reason for an upgrade in my opinion unless you get an upper model 7800. A GT perhaps?

UNLIKE SOME, I LIVE UPTO MY NAME. rolleyes.gif
r3tard is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
1.7ghz
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2
Um, ATI AA is much better than nVidia AA, I know this because I upgraded from an x850 XTPE, and I thought there was something wrong with my video card when I tried to pump the AA up in CS;S, nVidia AA isn't as good looking as ATI AA, it is a FACT.
But get back on topic, please.
Can I see some proof?

List of updates to do by summer: (1) New PSU: Seasonic S12 600W, (2) New OCZ Phase change or WC, (3) Sleeve cables: white, (4) 1 More 12" CCFL, (5) Some dremel action: circular side window

this_barb is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
Some_Idiot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lozz Anjaleze
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3tard
Benchmarks have shown if you up the voltage on GS' and overclock 'em to poop they can actually match 7800's in benchies. So not much? Well not enough to actually give a valid reason for an upgrade in my opinion unless you get an upper model 7800. A GT perhaps?
Not true, I tried it it, not true. I tried running my voltage at 1.6v on my GS, allowed for a higher core OC of about 10MHz, and lowered my voltage down to 1.4v, and that allowed for a 5MHz higher OC from the 1.6V BIOS. Read the first post, I said 7800GT, not GS.
I'm upgrading to PCI-E.
Edit:
Nvidia 7800GTX 512: http://www.firingsquad.com/media/hir.../images/02.png
x1800XT: http://www.firingsquad.com/media/hir.../images/01.png
The 7800GTX does have higher AA rates than the 6800GT, the 6800GT AA looks like crap compared to the x850 XTPE's, I know this because I have owned 2 x850 XTPE's, and 2 6800GT's (GS is unlocked to GT, so I consider it a GT because it uses the same core, and is pretty much identical, besides the GS's crappy OCing capabilities)
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...i_aa/page2.asp
Read the above link.
Edit 2: the 7800 series cards only look as good as the x1800 with SUPER AA, not regular. When it comes to regluar AA, the x1800 is the true winner. Super AA is an FPS monster, therefore I will not use it.
Read the whole article, please. I'm not trying to flame.
Some_Idiot2 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
2.4ghz
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
About that whole AA thing, you remember the long thread about how ATI payed off valve to make it so nvidia cards cannot run AA in source. YiffyGriffy proved that they are the exact same. You have to set the AA in your nvidia device manager instead of what the software sets it too.

You would see a major difference. The jump from agp to pci-e should provide a great improvement. a 7800GT compared to a 6800GS agp I would expect a big jump. There are probably some benchmarks of the 2 somewhere.
Some_Idiot2 likes this.

2.7ghz 3700+ Clawhammer verification: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=57399
3.0ghz E6400 Verification: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=147305

MustangPanda is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz
 
Some_Idiot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lozz Anjaleze
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangPanda
About that whole AA thing, you remember the long thread about how ATI payed off valve to make it so nvidia cards cannot run AA in source. YiffyGriffy proved that they are the exact same. You have to set the AA in your nvidia device manager instead of what the software sets it too.

You would see a major difference. The jump from agp to pci-e should provide a great improvement. a 7800GT compared to a 6800GS agp I would expect a big jump. There are probably some benchmarks of the 2 somewhere.
That does explain a lot, and seems believable.
But ATI AA is still a little better when it comes to regular AA, but nVidia is the winner of the super AA title.
Some_Idiot2 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
 
Jazino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 139
not many researchers in here i see. proof is not usually attained by one experiment by one individual. you need multiple instances. folks what you are talking about is YOUR experience. when you say something is fact please take it seriously, others are reading this and may think you know what your talking about.


Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Jazino is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off