Setup Questions - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I am planning on upgrading my current Corsair TX-750 watt to either a HX1000W or AX1200... While doing so, my Asus P6X58D-e MB has no space inbetween cards and therefore the top card gets roughly 4-9 degrees C hotter... I am wondering if I can space them out... The MB came with two different SLI cables, one for two and another for three... The cable is not long enough for spacing the GTX 580 down two more pci slots so I am wondernig if I can use the tri-sli cable for my two gtx 580's??? Also I don't believe there are enough pci slots to cover the dual spacing of the gpu on the Antec twelve hundred case while the card is on that third pci-x slot....
I am at work now, and can't confirm that slot... but will give an update. Any experiences?
BradleyW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Liked: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris13002;13188555 
I am planning on upgrading my current Corsair TX-750 watt to either a HX1000W or AX1200... While doing so, my Asus P6X58D-e MB has no space inbetween cards and therefore the top card gets roughly 4-9 degrees C hotter... I am wondering if I can space them out... The MB came with two different SLI cables, one for two and another for three... The cable is not long enough for spacing the GTX 580 down two more pci slots so I am wondernig if I can use the tri-sli cable for my two gtx 580's??? Also I don't believe there are enough pci slots to cover the dual spacing of the gpu on the Antec twelve hundred case while the card is on that third pci-x slot....
I am at work now, and can't confirm that slot... but will give an update. Any experiences?

If the top card is only 4-9c hotter then that's perfectly normal and fine. I would say go with the Corsair AX1200, however your rig will only pull 700w in heavy games if that.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Programmer

Liked: 100
Yea go with the Corsair man ,that is a great powersupply. Although it is a bit overkill for your rig, powersupplies are most efficient when @ ~50% load so you will be GREEN!

Also, that cable should work just fine... And if the card doesn't fit in the lower slot then its really not that big of a deal. Those temps aren;t to bad and the top card will always run hotter as heat rises drum.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Retired Member

Liked: 1352
1) Yes, you can move the lower card further down to the last (white) PCIe x16 slot to put more space between the 2 cards. (You will need to go into BIOS to manually reassign the lane width from x16/x16/x1 to x16/x8/x8)

2) Yes, you can use the longer 3-way SLI bridge to connect the 2 cards.

3) However, the Antec 1200 has only 7 PCI slots and therefore, if you move the lower GTX580 to the bottom slot, the rear exhaust of the card will not have an opening for it to exhaust hot air. No good!
(Additionally, that dual slot card might conflict with the USB and front panel I/O and Power/Reset headers on the mobo.)
So, you will have to solve these 2 problems before moving the card down.

A tip to help out the top card having higher temp:
Connect your 42'' LCD TV to the lower card. By doing so, the lower card will become the primary card and the top card becomes the 'slave' card. This arrangement might lower the temp of the top card for 1-3C. No promise that this tip will work as some motherboards must have the primary card located in the topmost slot.
Chris13002 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 89
Thanks for the heads up, AX1200 it is... Spend the little more and keep it green and not worry about the 500 watt x2 design with an inbalanced load on HX1000W.

I will just keep the cards in their current slot and I guess 4-9 C isn't bad. Definitely not going to block the rear exhaust by putting the card in the 3rd slot(might as well just fry the card at that point). I like the Nvidia designs on these cards to have vents for air input on the ends of the cards vs AMD...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4254/triplegpu-performance-multigpu-scaling-part1/2

Also thought of adjusting the fans using EVGA precision but since everything is stock, I really see no need... thanks for the inputs guys!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page