My friend is over for a couple days and we want to play Natural Selection 2 together, but his laptop can't handle it. Is there any way that he could run it off of my computer over a LAN? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm wondering if this is even possible. I'm thinking that, possibly, I could do the GPU work on my computer and stream him video over the LAN, and his laptop could relay commands (mouse and keyboard input) back to my machine in order to effectively play the game. However, I also want to play at the same time. My computer is certainly capable of something like this, but I don't know if it's possible. And if it is, I don't have the slightest idea of how to get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked: 6
Hmmm interesting..... Wish I could help

post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud681 View Post

There is a way to do that......

...How?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 198
Virtual Machines. That is the way to do it. You'd need to use a XEN Hypervisor for the kernel, a Linux Dom0 and two (or more) Windows DomUs. One of the guests would be running a low-latency vnc server (the one built into xen-qemu is fast enough, especially if you have the CPU horsepower for it) The remote machine then attaches using VNC or whatever protocol you choose to stream the video/input over. This is exactly how the cloud gaming service "OnLive" works. Instead of using VNC for their video streaming they use FFMPEG for video encoding using a vbr (likely OpenCL accelerated) encoder and a direct socket connection for input to my knowledge, but I haven't done the forensic probing on their servers to know for fact.

Another possible way to do this without the work of XEN and dedicating the VMs resources would be to hook up a second monitor (or a dummy plug) and set it to the resolution of his laptop, from there run a program that routes input devices to individual programs. And a low latency VNC service locally - His laptop would still connect the same way for input/video; but it would likely be a less seamless experience.

You may have to do a considerable amount of googling and research to set someting like this up - but "Multiseat" is what you are trying for using a thin client for the second seat.

Syrillian: Man, Legend, Meme.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page