Windows 8 Freeze on Startup - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well the last few days have been frustrating.

All of a sudden, Windows 8.1 Pro would freeze on startup. When on the welcome screen where the username is shown and the loading circle animation is rolling, the screen would suddenly freeze and Win 8 wouldn't boot. Other times, I'd get to my desktop and it would freeze there. I sometimes have mouse movement, but everything else is froze.

I thought Start8 was the problem and installed Clasic Shell on the new install but same problems.

After the fresh install, the freeze started almost immediately (second boot) but ran fine for a whole day before presenting itself again.

I've reset all overclocks, reinstalled Windows, ran memtest and prime for a few hours, reseated CPU, ram, and video cards, reset BIoS, ran PC with only mouse and keyboard (and tried different m+kb) all with no luck.

Can someone help me figure out what's wrong? I'm running memtest again, this time overnight to see if any errors pop up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-06-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 52
10 hrs of memtest... No errors

post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Windows Wrangler

Liked: 340
    Try checking your HDD's SMART status with CrystalDiskInfo (the standard edition is perfectly fine).  In particular, make sure that the "Raw Values" number for "UltraDMA CRC Error Count" is all zeros.  If it isn't all zeros, there is probably a problem with your SATA cable, and this could be causing the freezes.  A failing HDD can also cause freezing.

Sorry I didn't see this thread until just now.  I monitor the "Windows" section closely, but not the "Operating Systems" section. wink.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page