First time wc rig build -> looking for a good thermal paste suggestion, any help/advice is appreciated! - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 14 Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 661
The reason I like PK1 so much is because I use the "tinting" application method, and it's the perfect consistency for the method while also having a verylow aamount of solvents. Tinting is basically using the TIM to act as an abrasive between the two surfaces, micro-polishing them against one another, then cleaning it off with something like a razor so that any of the particles embedded in the tiny microscopic grooves remain. Then you can use an extremely smallaamount of paste in a dot in the center and allow pressure to spread it. The difference can be substantial, I usually see anywhere from 4-9C compared to regular application.

Also, since you have never applied paste before, don't follow the "pea size", that's too much. Use the size of a BB, and make sure that the paste DOES NOT cover the entire heatspreader, but rather it should make a circle whose edges just touch each of the four sides of the IHS, but don't extend to the corners.
MrKJ likes this.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

The reason I like PK1 so much is because I use the "tinting" application method, and it's the perfect consistency for the method while also having a verylow aamount of solvents. Tinting is basically using the TIM to act as an abrasive between the two surfaces, micro-polishing them against one another, then cleaning it off with something like a razor so that any of the particles embedded in the tiny microscopic grooves remain. Then you can use an extremely smallaamount of paste in a dot in the center and allow pressure to spread it. The difference can be substantial, I usually see anywhere from 4-9C compared to regular application.

Also, since you have never applied paste before, don't follow the "pea size", that's too much. Use the size of a BB, and make sure that the paste DOES NOT cover the entire heatspreader, but rather it should make a circle whose edges just touch each of the four sides of the IHS, but don't extend to the corners.

Sounds a bit too advanced for me atm wink.gif But great info for the future nevertheless!

Yeah it has been suggested buying a bit 'extra' paste to test how to apply it exactly.
Why exactly leave some space free? Isn't that potential surface area wasted?
Also, so you recommend spreading it manually, not just pressing the block onto it?

Thanks for the reply wink.gif

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
post #13 of 14 Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Fan Man

Liked: 5
Basically tinting is a very very light coat wiped off to get thermal paste in the pores and crevices in the heatsink/cpu lid. The pressure from the heatsink will spread the thermal paste so you don't have to. I send to do two small lines on my cpu's though pea/rice size works just as good if not better.. Habits die hard. frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Liked: 661
HERE'S an interesting post that may help explain the process....

When I say that you don't want it to cover the IHS when using the "Dot/Line + Pressure" Method, I mean it should look like this:

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page