Fitting many videos or more than 2 hours onto a single DVD - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-11-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I recently have been trying to figure out how to burn a DVD with more than a couple hours of video on it. I'm mainly trying to save shows from my Tivo onto a DVD for later viewing. I've finally made a breakthrough, that I'd like to share - hopefully someone else will find this info valuable.

Tivo has a deal with Sonic, which will burn directly from the Tivo format once you transfer your Tivo shows to your PC using the Tivo To Go software. I tried the demo of this software and I really didn't like it. It's slow and would barely fit 2 hours of video on a DVD even though the file sizes totaled under 4.4gb.

I found some free software called Directshow Dump (http://www.prish.com/etivo/tbr.htm), which removes the Tivo wrapper from the files and converts them to regular .mpg format. This will allow any video player or software to read the file.

Once I had my regular .mpg file, I tried using Roxio and Nero to fit more than 2 hours on a disc without any luck. I even tried cutting some commercials or credits, which actually made the files larger!

After some Google and forum searching, I came across an app called ConvertXtoDVD made by VSO software (http://www.vso-software.fr/). This software is AWESOME and totally worth the $30. You simply open it up, drag the files which you want to burn into the window, and click "convert". It will then convert your files using any necessary compression to fit on a single DVD. It also will read pretty much any video format too!

You can also create menus and such just like any other DVD burning app.

Anyway, if you're looking to burn multiple videos onto a DVD from any format at all, I highly recommend this software. It's super easy to use and from what I can tell, there's no quality difference between my recorded Tivo show and the DVD. It's also pretty fast - I've been burning 3 shows of an hour length each in about 45 minutes or so. I know that this is largely CPU dependant, but it still seems fast for everything that it does.

Hope this helps someone out! I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wants to burn Tivo shows or other video to DVD.

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sweet thx

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page