trouble with corefix.. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have decided to setup another vmware client so i can fold in linux in windows. i have set the corefix to 12 yet it still only detects 8 cores in the smp client. What could cause this?

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
The sinners are much more fun

When Chuck Norris lands in the water he doesnt get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris'd.

30 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Folding Fanatic

Liked: 15
The script instructs the client to indicate to the assignment server the number of cores you designate in the script. When the client initiates the FAH core to start processing the work unit, the FAH log will only show the true number of cores (threads). The script does nothing other than allowing the computer to download -bigadv work units. It does nothing for the actual processing of the downloaded work unit.

Edit: So, in practical terms, if your FAH log shows the true number of threads of your CPU, then most likely, the Folding operation is in order.

Alaska

post #3 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

The script instructs the client to indicate to the assignment server the number of cores you designate in the script. When the client initiates the FAH core to start processing the work unit, the FAH log will only show the true number of cores (threads). The script does nothing other than allowing the computer to download -bigadv work units. It does nothing for the actual processing of the downloaded work unit.
Edit: So, in practical terms, if your FAH log shows the true number of threads of your CPU, then most likely, the Folding operation is in order.

erhm I am not so sure. In my experience if it does not detect the right number of cores the corefix was probably not entered right. Are you seeing the correct number of cores in linux command line? cant remember the command off the top of my head but google number of cores in linux or something. If you are seeing 8 cores through that then the corefix was definitely entered wrong. "top" may also show the number of cores.

Also people tend to split up the two different commands that you need but I have had better luck entering it all together with a "|" separating the lines.

Finally the -bigadv is now 16 cores not 12. So when the corefix is working make sure it is set for 16 cores

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  30 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

I agree with crystal, i have successfully used corefix in the past and it absolutely does indicate the 'fixed' number of cores. Thats how i know it isnt working properly.

When Chuck Norris lands in the water he doesnt get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris'd.

30 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2017 

post #5 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Enter this in exactly as I have below and that should work. Make sure to reboot before doing so as I have heard the corefix can cause the OS to go a bit wonky if you screw it up and not accept a correctly typed ones. VMware offers a tool (which I thought was junk so did not download it until recently unfortunately) called linux tools or something. It is a popup when you start a linux VM through VMWware. So just try copy pasting this and hopefully it will work

cat /proc/stat | awk 'BEGIN { TARGET_NCPUS=16 } ; { if ($1 == "intr") { for (i=NR-2;i<=NF;i++) S=S " " $i ; print }' > /tmp/stat.save | mount --bind /tmp/stat.save /proc/stat

Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  30 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

post #6 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

i tried your version and digigami's and neither one's work on my install for some reason. they both only report one core in system monitor and if i dont run it on startup, monitor shows 8 cores. its strange that it doesnt work all of the sudden as i had been using the corefix for a while.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Wait weird so it is actually decreasing the number of cores showing for you? May be an update you did in linux that is causing the problems. Seems a little weird that it just all of a sudden stopped.

I have had the corefix reduce the number of visible cores once and that was as a result of entering it in wrong. Your experience may be different though. Its a long shot but maybe try saving it as a .sh and then executing it through "bash corefix.sh"?

post #8 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 AM
"Canada" is 50% the letter "a"

Liked: 507

Enter cat /proc/stat in Terminal. Are there just 8 CPUs (cpu0-cpu7) showing?

I was not fired. sozo.gif

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015  40 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #9 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Yeah, it reduces it to 1 core, lol. It is saved as a .sh and is set to load it on startup.

EDIT: Z, when running corefix at boot i run the cat /proc/stat and get nothing....quite strange indeed

post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

I did get it working. I was copy/pasting the corefix from digi's down and dirty guide instead of the step by step guide and for some reason it wasnt working properly. I pasted the step by step corefix text and its workin great. Chompin away at a 6903 right now...just in time for next month, lol thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page